Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I am trying to do some logical backups of all photos and videos from my MacBook Pro to two external hard drives (Iomega and My Passport). I have my full Time Machine backup on the Iomega. I also want separate photo/video folder backups on both.

When I do a search using Finder of my Iomega HD, it does not find any videos! Also, when looking through my IPhoto Library (after selecting Show Package Content), I see no videos on my computer! Yet, after digging around to find one particular May video, I can now see that video and some others created over six months, but they are all listed in the folder for that one May video (even though I have settings for showing by Date Created). Yet no other folder anywhere in my Masters folder (on either my computer or my external hard drives) shows ANY movies.

Yet in iPhoto, I can see all my videos. I am afraid to clean any videos off my computer when I cannot even tell if they are safely backed up elsewhere. And why can't I even see these videos on my computer using Finder?

Thanks for any help!

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Let me restate my main question. I want to start keeping all videos on an external drive to save space on my computer. Videos are all mixed in with regular photos in iPhoto (though I have also made a Videos album for some of them).

I first need to back up all videos onto two external drives before I can delete them from my computer (from iPhoto).

How can I locate all these videos to copy them to the external drives without going through every photo one by one?

[Then, when making an iMovie, I will have the external plugged into the computer as the source of the original movie files.]

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Firstly make sure your E/H/Drive are showing on your computer. Open up the main H/D on your computer. Then go to search and a window will open saying "SEARCH FOR".
Look under "All Images". "All Movies" 'All Documents" and you should see what you need.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
In Finder, with my mac drive highlighted, I click in the Search box. There is no Search Window with those options.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
This is the finder window.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.55.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 3.55.02 PM.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 117

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
An update: From within iPhoto, I used the search feature there for all mov files and did get a list of 530. I tested Export on a few and it worked, to my external drive. But it looks like that may take a while for a large amount of videos.

I still would prefer to find those videos with Finder and just drag them by their folders to the other drive.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
/Users/daybreak/Desktop/grap.tiff

Have you got this let side

----------

I took an image of my computer screen showing you what I mean. But I dont know how to make a thumbnail like you did. The image is sitting on my desktop.
You need to let me see more on the left side of your screenshot.
You should have DEVICES
SHARED
PLACES
SEARCH FOR. (CLICK THE TRIANGLE)
This will reveal your items in folders.

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
It wasn't until you mentioned having Users and Shared on the left side that I realized mine was missing. They always used to be there. I figured out how to put them back, but I never had Search on that left bar. Is that a Mountain Lion thing? I am still running Lion.

Do you know how I might add Search to the left bar?

----------

By the way, in the Options section below your Reply box you will see Attach Files. I had to use that to upload that screen shot I took.

Thanks for helping.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I'm using Snow Leopard. My forte strength is not with this side of the computer, regards the file issue. More into the editing side of my Mac.
Have you tried "YouTube" Key in your problem and see what comes up. Also some member of this forum who has the experience might help you.:)

vjaaan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I do appreciate your help though. You got me thinking further and making some progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.