Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gerbil

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
I put in a new hard drive in my MBP and restored the data using Time Machine. After plugging in my iPhone and trying to sync, iTunes said I needed to authorize the computer for the iTunes account.:confused: It's the same computer with the same data but a new hard drive so I'm surprised iTunes asked me that.

(This is a bit maddening since I'm already up to 4 authorizations out of the 5 maximum for my frequently used account after getting rid of computers without deauthorizing them. I wish these authorizations expired if unused after several years.)

southernbear78

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
I put in a new hard drive in my MBP and restored the data using Time Machine. After plugging in my iPhone and trying to sync, iTunes said I needed to authorize the computer for the iTunes account.:confused: It's the same computer with the same data but a new hard drive so I'm surprised iTunes asked me that.

(This is a bit maddening since I'm already up to 4 authorizations out of the 5 maximum for my frequently used account after getting rid of computers without deauthorizing them. I wish these authorizations expired if unused after several years.)

I have had this problem before as well. In my case, when I attempted to authorize the computer, it stated that this computer has already been authorized.

On a side note, you can also "deauthorize" all computers (once a year) by logging into your iTunes account from iTunes :)

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I replaced my hard drive and was asked this too. You go through the same process, except you'll be recognized as using the same computer and it won't count against you. It wasn't an equal hard drive swap either. Stock 320 HD to OWC 120 SSD.

+1 to Deauthorize All. It'll handle all your problems annually :)

gerbil

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
On a side note, you can also "deauthorize" all computers (once a year) by logging into your iTunes account from iTunes :)

Thanks for letting me know about this option! Looks like you can deauthorize all computers once you hit the limit so you can start over again.

Zivheads

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
I have had this problem before as well. In my case, when I attempted to authorize the computer, it stated that this computer has already been authorized.

Hi Southern Bear,

I am having this exact same problem (replaced hard drive, restored from Time Machine, and now when I try to update my iPhone, it tells me the computer is no longer authorized. Then when I authorize, it tells me that it's already been authorized. And it goes in one big (or rather, small) circle like that for a while). Did you find a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.