Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I have ipod touch which needs screen and battery replacement with total around $50. Major usage is for my daughter (junior high school) for game, photo editor and music. Now, I am also thinking to replace it with ipad mini (because of camera and size - able to read and play garageband). I have also ipad2 but I bring it to the office on weekdays, and let the kids use them during weekend.

I kindly need your opinion, do you think, it's still worth to spend $300 for ipad mini instead of $50 for ipod touch repair?

Thanks!

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Thank you all for the suggestion. It seems repairing the iPod touch first while waiting for iPad mini 2 is also good option.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd get her a refurbed iPod Touch 4th gen from the Apple Online Store. They are like new and include a year's worth of Apple Care hardware warranty. $149, plus tax. Middle ground - it has a camera, iBooks to read, Garageband app, is between the 3rd gen Touch and Mini as far as speed, and is about halfway as far as price as well... also a more appropriate price for a gift for a child, in my opinion.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I'd get her a refurbed iPod Touch 4th gen from the Apple Online Store. They are like new and include a year's worth of Apple Care hardware warranty. $149, plus tax. Middle ground - it has a camera, iBooks to read, Garageband app, is between the 3rd gen Touch and Mini as far as speed, and is about halfway as far as price as well... also a more appropriate price for a gift for a child, in my opinion.

Is that a 4th gen 16GB price? Because brand new 16GB is at 199 usd, a pretty good get as well. Bump up a generation for her would be nice and there is front and back camera on it.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Is that a 4th gen 16GB price? Because brand new 16GB is at 199 usd, a pretty good get as well. Bump up a generation for her would be nice and there is front and back camera on it.

It's for the 8GB... Apple had them at a "limited time price" or $129 for about 6 months, and they just raised it back to $149, but that's still pretty good. But, I agree, the 16GB for $199 you mentioned isn't bad either... but for a kid, I'd let her make due with the 8GB for 50-some extra bucks in my pocket for real life needs.

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I can see 129 is in-between option of $50 and $300. I'm still thinking few other options for her. Thanks all for your comments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.