Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm a writer now too, next article I'm going to write is called, "Linux Openness Offers Opportunity for 'Way Better' Experience than Other OS's" :rolleyes:

Openness =/= a better experience for everyone. Those who like to configure/alter to have something specific to themselves can enjoy Android phones. Those who like the gated community and the no nonsense setup can enjoy Apple products.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Apple could improve the UI, especially Settings. For example, in Safari settings, why is the option "Private Browsing" there? It takes multiple key presses, surely this is better placed within Safari.app itself?

Another good example is VPN.. to turn it on -> Settings -> General -> VPN -> On

Becuase, in many ways, it is better to have all settings located in one, convienient location...

Otherwise, you would have to open this app to change this setting, that app to change another setting, go here to modify this setting, etc.. Rather than having to open all sorts of apps and navigate all over the place, you simply need to open the single settings location and proceed to change any setting that you want...at least, that's the idea.

X Cruz 187

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
Texas
Not True

Not everyone uses YouTube. This was one app I kept hidden in restrictions.

Not True. Everyone uses YouTube worst part is now I can't use it because you have to register and sign up for an email account if you want to watch videos, so no more YouTube for me!

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Finally the last part of the ecosystem, media. They need a tv/movie service and a music service. An easy option would be to strike deals with the likes of Netflix and Spotify. Alternatively they open their own store and get licenses from all the media companies/groups. However we all know how long this kind of stuff takes.

Thanks for the excellent and comprehensive response! We need more of that at MacRumors.

I'll second your statement about media being the most difficult and time-consuming aspect of ecosystem build-out. Can Samsung turn itself into Apple fast enough to keep up? Or will Apple keep re-inventing itself too fast? Where re-inventing means "transitioning from a hardware-based business model to a content and services business model," of course.

10, 15, or 20 years from now, hardware prices will be so low that Apple won't be able to maintain its revenue from hardware alone. Not even with its traditional 30-40% margins. They'll need to improve, expand, and monetize iCloud. And that means more media, which means more negotiations and contracts plus more massive server farms (and higher bandwidth to consumers' homes and mobile devices.) And all of that takes time.

Apple has been working on their infrastructure relentlessly since iTunes was released way back in 2001. Months before the first iPod was released. Even then, Apple knew that the software infrastructure had to be in place before the hardware device itself. I think the same thing will happen with Apple's television solution. The Apple-branded television set will be the last component in the spectrum of services, software, and devices. But I digress.

Can Samsung get on the inside track with Hollywood to get those deals signed? I'm not sure. My cousin in Hawaii says she loves Korean soap operas, which are apparently quite popular there. And I think Samsung could easily sign deals with producers of those shows. But I'm pretty sure that Korean soap operas won't be the key to unlocking the $$$ billions in the rest of the US market (or the world market for that matter.) Samsung could end up like Amazon: big in their home country, not so big everywhere else in the world.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
second tizan was a back up to android because Samsung didn't know wtf was going to happen with sue happy apple and needed a plan b if they had to dump android and not be allowed to launch new phones using it as they were afraid apple would stop them because of android

tizan was back up to android becuz samsunn didn' now wtf was going to happen with Motorooogle. google may becomes sue-happy like applez. tizzn is a plan b for samsunn no?

third Samsung doesn't use a cover/ui over android,it builds its os from pure asop android code and makes it exactly how they want it from the gound up,its not using stock android and covered with there ui skin over it,its from the ground up made by there software team using base android code..

no samsunn use Touch Wizz, which cover/ui over android,it hide all android bare naked stuff. Touch Wizz not android source code. Here from Wiki Peedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchwiz

TouchWiz is used internally by Samsung for sophisticated feature phones and tablet computers, and is not available for licensing by external parties.

let me ask you this,if android is free to use for Samsung and they have full control over how to make it from the ground up.why would they need tizan when everything they want to do they are already doing on android?

becuzzz,Motorrrooogle now compete in samsunn face!?!?
some time free very,very,very espensive.
samsunn need control over dey own destyny.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I will like having the ability to try it BEFORE I say that I don't like it or that its useless. I love how people automatically dismiss things that haven't tried or wont be able to use.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Further proving you need to take a business class.

The iPhone has a design in the works for one year? No. Roadmaps are across several years and iterations. They are design, often, concurrently - and can take more than a year.

Too far off topic, not gonna continue it.

Last edited:

LaidBack

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
I am more than happy to keep facebook confined to an app on my iPhone. I don't want it always on, alerting, prompting me to over share, and view every single thing my friends do.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am more than happy to keep facebook confined to an app on my iPhone. I don't want it always on, alerting, prompting me to over share, and view every single thing my friends do.

I agree with this completely. I am happy to have just an App on my phone or view it via the web. However I can see people who are addicted to facebook seeing this as a good thing.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
It's only a "way better" experience for Zuckerburg and Facebook.

The average end user's experience might very well continue to be "better" with iOS, so long as (1)the average user is unaware of the dangers of a completely open and unregulated platform and (2)the average user "just wants things to work
" and not have to worry about tweaking and fixing.

One has a life, and people and jobs to take care of.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.