Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
How about with display mirroring turned on?

I know this is an old thread, but I use my mid 2010 15" MBP with a 27" ACD. Because I convert a lot of video, my MBP REALLY heats up. It made me a bit nervous in clamshell mode so I did some reading and found if I use a small (refrigerator type) magnet just over the left edge in about the middle with the lid open, it turns the display off, yet the keyboard and trackpad are fully functional with the 27" ACD. I use this all the time (and have for the better part of three years)... Works great. Haven't tried this with My 2013 MBP yet.

zipur

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2011
The great state of Texas
Umm, yes? I don't want to buy a wireless keyboard/trackpad when I already have perfectly good ones attached to my MacBook. As for not wanting to use the internal display - obviously it's because of the size and resolution. I've been using Windows laptops in "half-open lid, screen off" mode for years and it's very usable.

Ah but you miss the advantage of a wireless remote keyboard & mouse. One major point people overlook is that it extends the life of your MBA. Less keyboard and mouse use. Where if you mark up a remote keyboard just change it out. Plus there is the spill factor, with you MBA in the ARC if you spill a drink you are a little safer. Ergonomics with a remote keyboard you can site anywhere any way you want.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Something like... plugging in the external screen, opening up System Prefs, selecting Displays, choosing Arrangement, dragging that little white bar over to the external screen, and turning off the brightness of the internal screen.

That's exactly what I have been doing at home for the past two years, using a very old Apple Cinema Display at 1920x1200. One minor nitpick is that the internal screen always seems to revert to full brightness when I restart the MBA, but that's not a big deal.

I have tried clamshell mode and the MBA fans kick into high very quickly. With the computer open, that almost never happens unless I am rendering video or doing an extended recording in Logic Pro.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I have tried clamshell mode and the MBA fans kick into high very quickly. With the computer open, that almost never happens unless I am rendering video or doing an extended recording in Logic Pro.

I'd guess that's because closing the laptop blocks airflow, and the fans have to speed up to compensate for it?

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Clamshell mode is about as simple as it gets. As I type this post, my 11" MBA is closed and tucked into a TwelveSouth BookArc.

not to threadjack but what do you guys think of the arcbook? i have on as well and i really like it, but i'm not convinced it saves a tremendous amount of space - especially when plugged into a TBD. the thunderbolt cable and power cable stick out, and are under quite a bit of strain when using the tiny cable management hole.

that being said, if anything this is Apple's "fault" as the cables on the TBD are a bit bizarre...

i will say this - the arcbook certainly looks fantastic and i imagine the airflow is better - but i just don't know that i buy the space-saving claims. one other advantage that i just remembered is having it up off the desk likes that dramatically reduces spill risks....

OP - as others have said i think you're SOL.... someone mentioned turning the brightness all the way down - that's a great idea!

otherwise, you're going to need an external KB and mouse. I bought the wireless keyboard, apple trackpad and apple battery charger.

all total around $150. expensive, but it's awesome. i LOVE the magic trackpad.

----------

I'd guess that's because closing the laptop blocks airflow, and the fans have to speed up to compensate for it?

that shouldn't happen - are your vents nice and clear? my mba (2013) doesn't get any warmer in clamshell mode than open.

----------

That's not what the OP wants. He wants the internal display to turn off without having to close the lid.

OP, I don't think there's a non-wacky solution. Sorry.

turning the brightness all the way down isn't that wacky...
takes maybe 3 seconds and if that's too long i imagine he could make a macro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.