Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
whistling_past_the_graveyard_book_cover.jpg

The South on the eve of the civil rights movement, as seen through the eyes of a plucky nine-year-old narrator.

Whistling past the graveyard. That’s what Daddy called it when you did something to keep your mind off your most worstest fear. . . .

In the summer of 1963, nine-year-old Starla Jane Claudelle runs away from her strict grandmother Mamie's Mississippi home. Starla’s destination is Nashville, where her mother went to become a famous singer, abandoning Starla when she was three. Walking a lonely country road, Starla accepts a ride from Eula, a black woman traveling alone with a white baby. Now, on the road trip that will change her life forever, Starla sees for the first time life as it really is—as she reaches for a dream of how it could one day be.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Okay, you mentioned Alexander Solzhenitsyn, and, as we have been discussing Russian history above, which is something of an interest of mine, let's start with some recommendations on that.

I have read almost all of his oeuvre (I gave up on the pretty tedious 'Red Wheel'), but some of his earlier stuff - above all, 'The First Circle', 'Cancer Ward' and - obviously - 'One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich' are outstandingly good; however, nobody could ever accuse Solzhenitsyn of being easy reading. His work 'The Gulag Archipelago' - which is superb - does not come under the heading of fiction, as it is starkly documented fact.

Now, speaking personally, I don't much like most of his later stuff; he lost the steely discipline which had ensured that he pruned his prose and kept things understated and leavened with bitter irony, rather than the bloated and openly nationalistic and somewhat nostalgic stuff he penned later on.

If you want stuff on Russia, exceptionally well observed, but seriously well written - which, at its best, is an example of simply superb, thriller type fiction, and which - classically uses the thriller & murder mystery format to dissect a culture and society (Russia in all of its changes over the past 40 years), - I cannot recommend Martin Cruz Smith's novels with his extraordinary creation, the Russian police officer, 'Arkady Renko', highly enough. 'Gorky Park' 'Polar Star', and 'Red Square' are the first three and take place - roughly - in the period from the late Brezhnev era (very late 70s) until the collapse of the communist regime in 1991.

Then, there are 'Havana Bay' - which I think is good, but not as good as the earlier novels, 'Wolves Eat Dogs' (set in Chernobyl, excellent), 'Stalin's Ghost' (absolutely superb), 'Three Stations' (the weakest in the entire series, in my view) and a stunning return to form with 'Tatiana', which is very loosely based on the murder of the Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya.

If Russian history - or thrillers based in Russia don't grab you, let me know more about your tastes, and we'll see what we can come up with.

Ok, thanks for your recommendations. At work at the moment but we'll take a look at those later tonight. Thanks again!

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
i have been working through the "Wheel of Time" series, mostly at the behest of my teenage son who is now only one book ahead of me.

4154255-5449795998-wot-c.png

a good way to have stuff to trigger chats
I am mixing actual reading with car audiobook listening in the commute, which speeds up the process quite a bit.

An interestingly constructed world, with some great parts and others less so.
maybe a bit too dragged out, but a fun read nevertheless.

there only major drawback is that it severely cut in my 'regular' reading

as i wait for my son to finish the next installment, however, i am re-reading (again) on of my all-time favs:
Ggas_human_soc.jpg

still good even after almost 20 years

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i have been working through the "Wheel of Time" series, mostly at the behest of my teenage son who is now only one book ahead of me.

a good way to have stuff to trigger chats
I am mixing actual reading with car audiobook listening in the commute, which speeds up the process quite a bit.

An interestingly constructed world, with some great parts and others less so.
maybe a bit too dragged out, but a fun read nevertheless.

there only major drawback is that it severely cut in my 'regular' reading

as i wait for my son to finish the next installment, however, i am re-reading (again) on of my all-time favs:

still good even after almost 20 years

As it happens, I frequently read fantasy books for relaxation, but I never got into the Robert Jordan series, the books struck me as too bloated and somewhat self indulgent.

Actually, before I started reading the "Game of Thrones" series, I had inexplicably formed the (mistaken) opinion that "Game of Thrones" was another of those bloated self-indulgent series. Of course, I was completely wrong - G. R. R. Martin is an excellent writer and his books a rollicking good read - there is no real comparison. Indeed, for that matter, I think Brandon Sanderson is a far better writer than Robert Jordan - a real pity he wasn't asked to join that team years earlier.

Now, on the other hand, the book by Jared Diamond looks fascinating. That is exactly the sort of book I have a feeling I'd love to read - is it really as good as you seem to suggest? If so, I'll readily order it…...

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
As it happens, I frequently read fantasy books for relaxation, but I never got into the Robert Jordan series, the books struck me as too bloated and somewhat self indulgent.

Actually, before I started reading the "Game of Thrones" series, I had inexplicably formed the (mistaken) opinion that "Game of Thrones" was another of those bloated self-indulgent series. Of course, I was completely wrong - G. R. R. Martin is an excellent writer and his books a rollicking good read - there is no real comparison. Indeed, for that matter, I think Brandon Sanderson is a far better writer than Robert Jordan - a real pity he wasn't asked to join that team years earlier.

Now, on the other hand, the book by Jared Diamond looks fascinating. That is exactly the sort of book I have a feeling I'd love to read - is it really as good as you seem to suggest? If so, I'll readily order it…...

i would agree on all points :)

the WoT is a bit on the bloated side (14 books!), and it is one of the reasons i had resisted tackling them (even after they had been mentioned several times in this very thread). I eventually capitulated after the Nth time my son went "dad, you HAVE to read this!" and kept putting book 1 on my nightstand :)

i have to say i am enjoying the read, but i would more if they were half as long (and some of the handling of the characters is a bit annoying). Robert Jordan died before he could complete his Opus, so the job was assigned to Brandon Sanderson (author of the 'Alloy' books which i know you liked, since i read them following your recommendation). According to reviews, the quality of the books, which had sagged in the last of Jordan's work, picked up again with Sanderson.
we shall see, but it seems a fair consensus.

one thing that i do find infuriating is that even after several books, the authors spends tens of pages in each book re-introducing characters, or re-describing characteristics of places, races, history, magic system, politics, etc., i guess so that people who would start reading from that book supposedly can follow without necessarily having read the previous books. Apart form the fact that the later books story-arc is entirely dependent on previous books' events, who does start a saga from, say book 7? i can see doing that in the first couple of books but every book? no.

on the other hand, a BIG plus is that the saga is in fact complete. i likely wouldn't have started if it wasn't.
especially after i read the Games of Thrones books
i read the all GoT books last year. while the quality of the writing is decidedly better than WoT (although the world-building is very good in WoT), the fact that it is incomplete, and will be for probably several more years is a MAJOR drawback (i totally blame Chrmjenkins for getting me into reading them too early. Darn you, Chris!) :)

as far as Guns, Germs, and Steel, i can't recommend it enough.
It does has some (minor) limitations (and it is a bit slow/repetitive in some parts), but it is an absolute must-read in my opinion, even if it is 20 years old, it is still pretty much current. I think it tops my all-time non-fiction list.
I will be very curious to know your opinion once you read it, so be sure to let me know :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
i would agree on all points :)

the WoT is a bit on the bloated side (14 books!), and it is one of the reasons i had resisted tackling them (even after they had been mentioned several times in this very thread). I eventually capitulated after the Nth time my son went "dad, you HAVE to read this!" and kept putting book 1 on my nightstand :)

i have to say i am enjoying the read, but i would more if they were half as long (and some of the handling of the characters is a bit annoying). Robert Jordan died before he could complete his Opus, so the job was assigned to Brandon Sanderson (author of the 'Alloy' books which i know you liked, since i read them following your recommendation). According to reviews, the quality of the books, which had sagged in the last of Jordan's work, picked up again with Sanderson.
we shall see, but it seems a fair consensus.

one thing that i do find infuriating is that even after several books, the authors spends tens of pages in each book re-introducing characters, or re-describing characteristics of places, races, history, magic system, politics, etc., i guess so that people who would start reading from that book supposedly can follow without necessarily having read the previous books. Apart form the fact that the later books story-arc is entirely dependent on previous books' events, who does start a saga from, say book 7? i can see doing that in the first couple of books but every book? no.

on the other hand, a BIG plus is that the saga is in fact complete. i likely wouldn't have started if it wasn't.
especially after i read the Games of Thrones books
i read the all GoT books last year. while the quality of the writing is decidedly better than WoT (although the world-building is very good in WoT), the fact that it is incomplete, and will be for probably several more years is a MAJOR drawback (i totally blame Chrmjenkins for getting me into reading them too early. Darn you, Chris!) :)

as far as Guns, Germs, and Steel, i can't recommend it enough.
It does has some (minor) limitations (and it is a bit slow/repetitive in some parts), but it is an absolute must-read in my opinion, even if it is 20 years old, it is still pretty much current. I think it tops my all-time non-fiction list.
I will be very curious to know your opinion once you read it, so be sure to let me know :)

Okay, I'll bite. I will order 'Guns, Germs and Steel' this very night, as you recommend it so strongly (and you did succumb to Brandon Sanderson's 'Alloy' series, which I still think excellent). Yes, I knew that Brandon Sanderson had been asked to help out with the end of WoT and it seems to be universally accepted that he discharged his responsibilities extremely well. I'll go further - I think - when on song - he is excellent. In fact, my view is that Robert Jordan was most fortunate in having chosen a writer as responsible, dedicated (with a stunning work ethic), and gifted as Brandon Sanderson to bring this oeuvre home. Finally.

An aside: A lovely pair of short stories, called 'Legion' (which is pretty good) and 'The Emperor's Soul' (which is outstanding) were published by Brandon Sanderson in a recently published book, well, a sort of cross between a novella and a book. Take a look at 'The Emperor's Soul'; this is very very good indeed.

Re GoT, I think the fear is that G R R Martin may well expire before he has had time to bring the tale to a fitting conclusion. Thus far, he has batted away any such suggestion that this might happen, and equally, batted away suggestions that his three dimensional self might not be the person to bring this opus home.

With Robert Jordan, I admired the ambition, but deplored elements of the execution. More to the point, although I am a huge fan of strong female characters, - and I know they existed in WoT, I have difficulty recalling the vast majority of the characters in WoT, even though I struggled (and, that, too, is unusual - normally, I fly through fantasy; that is the whole point to me - my usual diet re reading is so solidly heavy, that fantasy is supposed to be relaxation, not work) with it.

Now, with G R R Martin, and GoT there was no work involved, the books absolutely flew. I have had incredible discussions with individuals in countries where I have worked (war zone countries), where I have been asked, utterly earnestly, (after discussing politics, and political culture, of course), "So, is Tyrion your favourite character, too?" and one can proceed to have a brilliant discussion, on that basis.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
And, just to let you know, I have just ordered a copy (hard back) of 'Guns, Germs and Steel', by Jared Diamond.

Actually, I love hard-back books, especially those produced in the US; with these books, they don't stint on quality, quality paper, font, production values. However, it will not arrive before Christmas; perhaps, by - or around - the New Year…..

Anyway, my grateful thanks for suggesting this: I love books which open up new areas of interest in my mind: books which make me think, or, offer new facts, information, ideas or perspectives, or, challenge my perceptions, or, make me look at old issues or questions in new ways……..

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm looking for good fantasy and historical fiction books. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Hey everyone, I'm looking for good fantasy and historical fiction books. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Okay, I have quite a few recommendations, but I'll start with a few comments on Guy Gavriel Kay, whom I think is first rate.

Guy Gavriel Kay: GGK started out as an understudy to J R R Tolkien, (yes, check it out) and his first trilogy (the 'Fionavar' Trilogy) reflects that fact. To my mind, this is the weakest thing he has written, irrespective of the fact that it was influenced by his exposure to Tolkien's oeuvre….

However, then he struck out on his own. Now, Kay doesn't write much, and his output isn't prolific, but the quality (and I have read them all) ranges between excellent and outstanding.

Tigana (set in an alternative Renaissance Italy) is superb, 'A Song For Arbonne' (set in a sort of alternative Languedoc during the Middle Ages) is outstanding, and 'The Lions of Al-Rassan' (basically an alternative Moorish Spain) is also excellent.

Then there is the two part book 'The Sarantium Mosaic', ('Sailing to Sarantium' and 'Lords of Emperors' ) both of which I thought simply superlative. This time, the alternative world is a different take on what might have been Rome, circa 500 AD, and an alternative Justinian and Theodora ruling in Constantinople.

'The Last Light of the Sun' (a sort of Viking world in the time of Alfred the Great) I thought extremely good, and the two books with Chinese settings - 'Under Heaven' and 'River of Stars' are both excellent.

So, what does Kay do that makes him so good (in my humble opinion)? He writes extremely well, with a lovely ear for prose; his world building is superb - he is aware of the need for the inexplicable, and the occasionally - frankly - unbelievable - but it never contravenes how the societies he constructs might have operated at a fundamental level; all of his magical systems are somehow organically integrated in his worlds.

Likewise, his character building, and his character development is usually excellent. This also applies to his female characters, most of which are excellent, and some outstanding. This is something, which, I regret to have to report, most male writers have no idea how to handle. And finally, while I have observed that his world building is also excellent, as it is, his narratives and plots tend to be extraordinarily well planned; in other words, even as stories, his tales work.

More to come…..as both historical fiction and fantasy are often to be found among the sort of stuff I read for pleasure….

Last edited:

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Okay, I have quite a few recommendations, but I'll start with a few comments on Guy Gavriel Kay, whom I think is first rate.

Guy Gavriel Kay: GGK started out as an understudy to J R R Tolkien, (yes, check it out) and his first trilogy (the 'Fionavar' Trilogy) reflects that fact. To my mind, this is the weakest thing he has written, irrespective of the fact that it was influenced by his exposure to Tolkien's oeuvre….

However, then he struck out on his own. Now, Kay doesn't write much, and his output isn't prolific, but the quality (and I have read them all) ranges between excellent and outstanding.

Tigana (set in an alternative Renaissance Italy) is superb, 'A Song For Arbonne' (set in a sort of alternative Languedoc during the Middle Ages) is outstanding, and 'The Lions of Al-Rassan' (basically an alternative Moorish Spain) is also excellent.

Then there is the two part book 'The Sarantium Mosaic', ('Sailing to Sarantium' and 'Lords of Emperors' ) both of which I thought simply superlative. This time, the alternative world is a different take on what might have been Rome, circa 500 AD, and an alternative Justinian and Theodosia ruling in Constantinople.

'The Last Light of the Sun' (a sort of Viking world in the time of Alfred the Great) I thought extremely good, and the two books with Chinese settings - 'Under Heaven' and 'River of Stars' are both excellent.

So, what does Kay do that makes him so good (in my humble opinion)? He writes extremely well, with a lovely ear for prose; his world building is superb - he is aware of the need for the inexplicable, and the occasionally - frankly - unbelievable - but it never contravenes how the societies he constructs might have operated at a fundamental level; all of his magical systems are somehow organically integrated in his worlds.

Likewise, his character building, and his character development is usually excellent. This also applies to his female characters, most of which are excellent, and some outstanding. This is something, which, I regret to have to report, most male writers have no idea how to handle. And finally, whir I have observed that his world building is also excellent, as it is, his narratives and plots tend to be extraordinarily well planned; in other words, even as stories, his tales work.

More to come…..as both historical fiction and fantasy are often to be found among the sort of stuff I read for pleasure….

Wow. This sounds great. Is there romance in his books? I hope not. But I'll put The Lions of Al-Rassan on my list. River of Stars sounds amazing but would I have to read Under Heaven first since River of Stars picks up 400 years after?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow. This sounds great. Is there romance in his books? I hope not. But I'll put The Lions of Al-Rassan on my list. River of Stars sounds amazing but would I have to read Under Heaven first since River of Stars picks up 400 years after?

This is romance in his books, but it is never the point of the books, it just happens to some of the characters, and much of it falls under the heading of the bitter-sweet, or something which didn't work out for a variety of reasons. Actually, it means that you root for the characters, and regret that things didn't work out; it also means that when things do work out for them you sometimes actually cheer for them.

In 'The Sarantium Mosaic' his portrayal of the relationship between his version of Justinian and Theodora is wonderful.

'River of Stars' does pick up 400 years after 'Under Heaven' and is set in the same world, but that world has changed so much (for the worse) since the events portrayed in 'Under Heaven' that, while reading the earlier book is a help (and there are some small references to the events in 'Under Heaven' because this is a history which the characters know about), it is not absolutely necessary.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
This is romance in his books, but it is never the point of the books, it just happens to some of the characters, and much of it falls under the heading of the bitter-sweet, or something which didn't work out for a variety of reasons. Actually, it means that you root for the characters, and regret that things didn't work out; it also means that when things do work out for them you sometimes actually cheer for them.

In 'The Sarantium Mosaic' his portrayal of the relationship between his version of Justinian and Theodora is wonderful.

'River of Stars' does pick up 400 years after 'Under Heaven' and is set in the same world, but that world has changed so much (for the worse) since the events portrayed in 'Under Heaven' that, while reading the earlier book is a help (and there are some small references to the events in 'Under Heaven' because this is a history which the characters know about), it is not absolutely necessary.

Excellent. I don't mind as long as the romance is not the focus of the story. I'll try The Lions of Al-Rassan first (though I don't know exactly when but hopefully soon) and if I find that I like his writing and enjoyed the story I will likely pick up the other books. Thank you for the recommendations.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It only took me an age, but just finished A Storm of Swords, book 3 of the Fire and Ice series, more commonly known as Game of Thrones. This book is an outstanding continuation of the narrative. Now debating if I should wait and watch the next season, or forge ahead into the book?

Thekarens

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2014
If I were recommending fantasy I'd go with Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, GRR Martin and Jim Butcher.

I'm a woman who really isn't into romance either. I wanted to like Kay, but I never could get into his novels.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Re-reading your post, it strikes me to ask whether you are looking for historical fiction and fantasy together (which was one of the reasons I recommended GGK), or as separate categories?

Re fantasy - and well written fantasy with more than a touch of historical fiction, I can also recommend any of the 'Old Kingdom' books by Garth Nix , especially the 'Abhorsen' trilogy, which are, 'Sabriel', 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen'.

A novella called 'The Creature In The Case' serves as a coda of sorts, and there is also a sort of prequel, called 'Clariel'. At then moment, Garth Nix is supposed to be working on actual sequel to the 'Abhorsen' trilogy which will take up the story after the events depicted in 'The Creature In The Case'.

They are superb, very well written, the world building is outstanding, the characters memorable (including some very strong female characters) and they straddle two worlds. The first is the very strange world where the magic - which is as original and completely internally logical as any I have come across, - takes place, and the other is a sort of alternative Britain around the period of the First World War (which is very well realised).

Last edited:

Sazzy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2014
US
Dreams_from_my_father.jpg

I'm reading up on Obama... It's quite compelling, more interesting than I assumed it would be and fascinating to think he's a real man who was once a real boy ;)

Recommended reading... I'm not sure how the story will end though...

;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

I'm reading up on Obama... It's quite compelling, more interesting than I assumed it would be and fascinating to think he's a real man who was once a real boy ;)

Recommended reading... I'm not sure how the story will end though...

;)

Very interesting choice.

Actually, I read Barack Obama's book several years ago, and - according to some of the comments and reviews I read - he seems to have been regarded as the first President since Theodore Roosevelt who actually had some genuine literary ability, and it is beautifully and thoughtfully written.

The other thing that struck me is the thought that Barack Obama might not have been quite so open had he known when he wrote that book just where his career would end up.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Re-reading your post, it strikes me to ask whether you are looking for historical fiction and fantasy together (which was one of the reasons I recommended GGK), or as separate categories?

Re fantasy - and well written fantasy with more than a touch of historical fiction, I can also recommend any of the 'Old Kingdom' books by Garth Nix , especially the 'Abhorsen' trilogy, which are, 'Sabriel', 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen'.

A novella called 'The Creature In The Case' serves as a coda of sorts, and there is also a sort of prequel, called 'Clariel'. At then moment, Garth Nix is supposed to be working on actual sequel to the 'Abhorsen' trilogy which will take up the story after the events depicted in 'The Creature In The Case'.

They are superb, very well written, the world building is outstanding, the characters memorable (including some eery strong female characters) and they straddle two worlds. The first is the very strange world where the magic - which is as original and completely internally logical as any I have come across, - takes place, and the other is a sort of alternative Britain around the period of the First World War (which is very well realised).

Not together. Separate categories. I know how much you love the Garth Nix's Abhorsen series. I've only read the first book which was great. I have to go and buy the second one. Have you read Clariel?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not together. Separate categories. I know how much you love the Garth Nix's Abhorsen series. I've only read the first book which was great. I have to go and buy the second one. Have you read Clariel?

I think 'Lirael' (the second in the series), is, if anything, even better than 'Sabriel'. It is brilliant, but it does take a while to get going. However, I don't see that as a flaw, merely well paced storytelling, which allows the story to seek its setting and reveal itself at its own pace. In any case, this allows for world building, setting of a rich context, and superb character development, not least that of a first rate female protagonist. In turn, it segues straight into 'Abhorsen', the third in the series, and both second and third books - 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen' are first rate, brilliantly balanced, superb world building, a fantastic and beautifully balanced quartet of 'heroes' whose character development we have time to savour and get to know.

'Clariel' is set in the same world but several centuries earlier. I liked it - and loved returning to 'The Old Kingdom'; it has a few superb set pieces, some very witty dialogue, but it lacks the force and drama and depth of the 'Abhorsen' trilogy. However, I like the 'Old Kingdom' stuff so much, that I would happily read a lot more written by Garth Nix which is set in that world.

At the moment, he is supposed to be working on a sequel to 'Abhorsen' (or so he writes in the afterword to 'Clariel').

On the topic of Garth Nix, I also liked a single book he wrote about three years ago, called 'A Confusion of Princes'. It wasn't on the same level as the Abhorsen series, but it was a jolly good read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I think 'Lirael' (the second in the series), is, if anything, even better than 'Sabriel'. It is brilliant, but it does take a while to get going. However, I don't see that as a flaw, merely well paced storytelling, which allows the story to seek its setting and reveal itself at its own pace. In any case, this allows for world building, setting of a rich context, and superb character development, not least that of a first rate female protagonist. In turn, it segues straight into 'Abhorsen', the third in the series, and both second and third books - 'Lirael' and 'Abhorsen' are first rate, brilliantly balanced, superb world building, a fantastic and beautifully balanced quartet of 'heroes' whose character development we have time to savour and get to know.

'Clariel' is set in the same world but several centuries earlier. I liked it - and loved returning to 'The Old Kingdom'; it has a few superb set pieces, some very witty dialogue, but it lacks the force and drama and depth of the 'Abhorsen' trilogy. However, I like the 'Old Kingdom' stuff so much, that I would happily read a lot more written by Garth Nix which is set in that world.

At the moment, he is supposed to be working on a sequel to 'Abhorsen' (or so he writes in the afterword to 'Clariel').

On the topic of Garth Nix, I also liked a single book he wrote about three years ago, called 'A Confusion of Princes'. It wasn't on the same level as the Abhorsen series, but it was a jolly good read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Makes me want to go and read the second book right now. I'll make sure to remember buying it when I visit the bookstore. Thank you for letting me know your opinions on the authors and the books you recommended. Always appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------

whistling_past_the_graveyard_book_cover.jpg

“My daddy says that when you do somethin’ to distract you from your worstest fears, it’s like whistlin’ past the graveyard. You know, making a racket to keep the scaredness and the ghosts away. He says that’s how we get by sometimes. But it’s not weak, like hidin’ . . . it’s strong. It means you’re able to go on.”
That was an absolutely wonderful novel. A funny, endearing, heartwarming yet also heartbreaking coming of age story. The narrator is a feisty and sassy red-haired nine-year-old named Starla Claudelle who decides to run away from her stern grandmother after being grounded on the Fourth of July- a day she looks forward to every year mainly because of her fondness for carnivals. So she runs away and embarks on a life-changing adventure. The characters in the story were vivid and the writing was entertaining and gripping. Also, since the story is set in Mississippi in the '60s you get a glimpse of what life in the Deep South was like with the Jim Crow laws and the civil rights movement and all that. So yes, I thought it was a brilliant and captivating story of friendship and compassion. I truly enjoyed this novel. Highly recommended.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Makes me want to go and read the second book right now. I'll make sure to remember buying it when I visit the bookstore. Thank you for letting me know your opinions on the authors and the books you recommended. Always appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------

“My daddy says that when you do somethin’ to distract you from your worstest fears, it’s like whistlin’ past the graveyard. You know, making a racket to keep the scaredness and the ghosts away. He says that’s how we get by sometimes. But it’s not weak, like hidin’ . . . it’s strong. It means you’re able to go on.”
That was an absolutely wonderful novel. A funny, endearing, heartwarming yet also heartbreaking coming of age story. The narrator is a feisty and sassy red-haired nine-year-old named Starla Claudelle who decides to run away from her stern grandmother after being grounded on the Fourth of July- a day she looks forward to every year mainly because of her fondness for carnivals. So she runs away and embarks on a life-changing adventure. The characters in the story were vivid and the writing was entertaining and gripping. Also, since the story is set in Mississippi in the '60s you get a glimpse of what life in the Deep South was like with the Jim Crow laws and the civil rights movement and all that. So yes, I thought it was a brilliant and captivating story of friendship and compassion. I truly enjoyed this novel. Highly recommended.

Very interesting review, the sort of warm recommendation that makes me want to actually buy the book and read it.

Re 'Lirael', I think you may wish to buy 'Abhorsen', too when you buy it. This is because the third book starts immediately right where the second ends, and you will not wish to pause, while reading. In fact, Garth Nix is on record as stating that this was supposed to be one book, but after it grew beyond a thousand pages, he thought it better to make it two.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another fantasy series which I rather like a lot, and which also has that combination of fantasy and history (although I know you see them as separate categories) is Jonathan Stroud's excellent 'Bartimaeus' trilogy.

Called 'The Amulet of Samarkand', 'The Golem's Eye' and 'Ptolemy's Gate' they are very good indeed, with excellent world building, a strange alternative early twentieth century Britain, an excellent system of sorcery which subverts some existing ideas, and - yes, again - a very impressive female protagonist (although she does not fully come into her own until the third book, and plays a minor role in the second, being barely present in the first).

This is another series where the last book is a tour de force, but can be best appreciated by savouring what went before.

Last edited:

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012

Very interesting review, the sort of warm recommendation that makes me want to actually buy the book and read it.

Re 'Lirael', I think you may wish to buy 'Abhorsen', too when you buy it. This is because the third book starts immediately right where the second ends, and you will not wish to pause, while reading. In fact, Garth Nix is on record as stating that this was supposed to be one book, but after it grew beyond a thousand pages, he thought it better to make it two.

I'll make sure to buy them both together. Thank you for the heads up! And yes, Whistling Past the Graveyard is a beautiful novel. One of my favorite reads of 2014.

Another fantasy series which I rather like a lot, and which also has that combination of fantasy and history (although I know you see them as separate categories) is Jonathan Stround's excellent 'Bartimaeus' trilogy.

Called 'The Amulet of Samarkand', 'The Golem's Eye' and 'Ptolemy's Gate' they are very good indeed, with excellent world building, a strange alternative early twentieth century Britain, an excellent system of sorcery which subverts some existing ideas, and - yes, again - a very impressive female protagonist (although she does not fully come into her own until the third book, and plays a minor role in the second, being barely present in the first).

This is another series where the last book is a tour de force, but can be best appreciated by savouring what went before.

I can't believe I've never heard of these books. Your recommendations sound really great. I've checked all of them (and a few of GGK's) and they seem like the kind of books I enjoy reading. I added them and I can't wait to read them soon.

----------

I think Don't panic recommended this book a while ago. I just remembered to add it to my list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.