Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biteofapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
I just sold my current computer and was wondering if a MacBook Pro with retina is a bad investment. Should I get the air?? I want to buy it with the back to school promo:confused:

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
It would depend on what tasks will you be using the MBPro or MBAir. If it's just general computing tasks like web browsing, word docs and emails then the MBAir would be fine for your needs.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
It's a depreciating asset, of course it's a bad investment :p

I'd wait for the Haswell rMBP's though. What do you plan on using it for?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Computers are not generally good invests, usually they are worth less each day you own them. If you plan to do some work with them that will make you money, perhaps it's an investment. In that case, buy the most powerful computer that best helps you do the work you need to do. But generally, I wouldn't think of the computer as an investment.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
I just sold my current computer and was wondering if a MacBook Pro with retina is a bad investment. Should I get the air?? I want to buy it with the back to school promo:confused:

The air is excellent for school work as it is light and robust.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Unless you are using it to make money, any computer is about the WORST "investment" you can possibly make.

Very few other items depreciate approximately 80-100% over 3 years.

edit:
beaten like a red headed step-child

Given the above, the best financial solution is to spend the minimum required to get what you need/will be happy with. Unless you have some fairly specific needs, the MBA 13" will probably cover you quite easily.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Unless you are using it to make money, any computer is about the WORST "investment" you can possibly make......

Probably not a bad time for 3 shares of AAPL ......... at least better than buying last year :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.