Another Mac Pro 1,1 Eight-Core Upgrade... - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:15 AM   #26
nilk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by frjonah View Post
I did it! The fan assy was a bear to get off for sure, but I'm typing this on my new 8 core Mac Pro 1,1... I'm looking for the flashing tool for the EFI on netkas... anyone have a link handy!
The firmware tool to upgrade 1,1 to the 2,1 firmware is here: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html

You will need to login to the forum to be able to download it (create an account if you don't already have one).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:53 AM   #27
frjonah
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to frjonah Send a message via Yahoo to frjonah Send a message via Skype™ to frjonah
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilk View Post
The firmware tool to upgrade 1,1 to the 2,1 firmware is here: http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,1094.0.html

You will need to login to the forum to be able to download it (create an account if you don't already have one).
I know I should know this but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere... Can I install any optical drive in place of the failed Sony drive from my Mac Pro or do I need some special "Mac compatible" drive... I can see that I could install either IDE or sata since there are those available ports in the motherboard...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:13 PM   #28
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
I know I should know this but I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere... Can I install any optical drive in place of the failed Sony drive from my Mac Pro or do I need some special "Mac compatible" drive... I can see that I could install either IDE or sata since there are those available ports in the motherboard...
just put a drive in it..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:00 PM   #29
MacPoulet
macrumors regular

Quote:

Hmm... That would drive me nuts Could you temporarily tether to your phone or something to get around that? You don't need to be connected to the net for the firmware flash, just for the creation of the ramdisk, which took about 60s on my slow dsl connection...

Of course, the big question behind all of this is: is performance hindered in any way by using the 5355s with the Mac Pro 1,1 firmware? I suspected it might be given the "unknown" designation of the processors in About This Mac, but don't have a clue if that would translate into underutilization somehow.
No cell phone, so no go there. I tried hooking it up to a MacBook Pro and using its wireless connection, but I got the same error message. I might see if a co-worker has a phone I could tether to and try that...
MacPoulet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Shockadalite
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterJJZ View Post
I upgraded mine to 8 core. Best $100 upgrade ever...literally doubled my machine's performance.
Are you now able to run Mountain Lion on it, with this upgrade?
Shockadalite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:51 AM   #31
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockadalite View Post
Are you now able to run Mountain Lion on it, with this upgrade?
I believe there is a way, but I have no use for ML...
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Tags
5160, 5355, mac pro 2006, upgrade, xeon