Video (HDMI) input through Thunderbolt - Will it ever be possible? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Aug 11, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1
MacRazySwe
macrumors 6502

Video (HDMI) input through Thunderbolt - Will it ever be possible?

Hi guys,

Remember the old 27" iMacs from 2009-2011? The ones which used the Mini Displayport rather than Thunderbolt. Back in the days, Kanex and several other companies made Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters, making it possible to connect a PS3/Xbox 360 to the iMacs display.

In 2011 Apple introduced the Sandy Bridge iMacs with Thunderbolt technology, making it impossible for the Kanex adapters to work. Back then, in 2011, Kanex claimed they were working on a Thunderbolt compatible version of the Kanex XD Adapter. Good thing I thought, and happily purchased the Thunderbolt iMac.

Nearly 2 years later and the adapter has yet to be released, which sucks big time as I had hoped to be able to use my iMac as a screen for my Xbox.

Do you think there will ever be a Thunderbolt solution for HDMI input to the iMacs? Or, do you think Apple will ever introduce an iMac with proper HDMI input? I see that all of ASUS's all-in-ones have HDMI-IN, so it's a shame really that Apple refuses to introduce it in their iMacs.

For now, the only option seems to be to purchase an old Mini Displayport-iMac, in case you want to opt for this solution. Am I right?

MacRazySwe is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Here is a solution. As you can see, it is not exactly "cheap", and definitely not real-time - I mean there will be lag:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 03:56 AM   #3
Chippy99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4cube View Post
Here is a solution. As you can see, it is not exactly "cheap", and definitely not real-time - I mean there will be lag:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity/
Interesting idea, but I really can't see how that would work.

The only image you are going to get on the iMac is a live capture preview. Although I don't know the Mac software they provide, I would doubt there is a full screen preview mode, so you will likely just get a small window somewhere showing the X-Box output. And even if you could get it full screen, it will be impaired quality compared to the raw output.

If anyone wanted to try this route though, there are other cheaper boxes that will do the same over USB, such as the Elgato Game Capture HD.
Chippy99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:36 AM   #4
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy99 View Post
Interesting idea, but I really can't see how that would work.

The only image you are going to get on the iMac is a live capture preview. Although I don't know the Mac software they provide, I would doubt there is a full screen preview mode, so you will likely just get a small window somewhere showing the X-Box output. And even if you could get it full screen, it will be impaired quality compared to the raw output.

If anyone wanted to try this route though, there are other cheaper boxes that will do the same over USB, such as the Elgato Game Capture HD.
Agreed.

I just wanted to point out how unlikely there would be a true solution to original request - using the iMac as a full screen HDMI monitor.

Just get a separate monitor with an HDMI input, or live with the limitations of alternatives.
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 03:22 PM   #5
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRazySwe View Post
Hi guys,

Remember the old 27" iMacs from 2009-2011? The ones which used the Mini Displayport rather than Thunderbolt. Back in the days, Kanex and several other companies made Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters, making it possible to connect a PS3/Xbox 360 to the iMacs display.

In 2011 Apple introduced the Sandy Bridge iMacs with Thunderbolt technology, making it impossible for the Kanex adapters to work. Back then, in 2011, Kanex claimed they were working on a Thunderbolt compatible version of the Kanex XD Adapter. Good thing I thought, and happily purchased the Thunderbolt iMac.

Nearly 2 years later and the adapter has yet to be released, which sucks big time as I had hoped to be able to use my iMac as a screen for my Xbox.

Do you think there will ever be a Thunderbolt solution for HDMI input to the iMacs? Or, do you think Apple will ever introduce an iMac with proper HDMI input? I see that all of ASUS's all-in-ones have HDMI-IN, so it's a shame really that Apple refuses to introduce it in their iMacs.

For now, the only option seems to be to purchase an old Mini Displayport-iMac, in case you want to opt for this solution. Am I right?
It was a heavy heart that I sold my 2009 27" iMac for the 2012 model, because I knew I was giving up console gaming through the iMac's display. Since then, I've picked up a different display for gaming, since I gave up waiting, too.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
steve119
macrumors 6502

Hey folks, manage to bag myself a intensity shuttle for usb3.0 for 80 along with a component lead to get 720p with the ps3.

Hdmi won't work as its hdcp protected.

Should get it by next Wednesday, will be testing via fcpx and windows 7(bootcamp and fusion 5).

I will post once the results are in.

Last edited by steve119; Aug 21, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
steve119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:39 PM   #7
FrHa
macrumors member

This says it works with Thunderbolt

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort-...pr_product_top

EDIT: Read it wrong, it's a different type of adapter.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:17 PM   #8
steve119
macrumors 6502

Ok well after a whole afternoon of fighting with the USB intensity shuttle, there is a lot of hassle to get it to work with the software provided due to getting the correct way of setting the resolutions. mthis is not as straight forward as you would think it would be.

anyway, I have finally managed to get it onto the screen in 720p, played a bit of cod special ops 2 and it worked pretty well. An occasional tiny bit of lag on occasion but otherwise fine.

The site says this product is windows only but in the last month they have added beta support for mac on the USB version.

I would imagine that the thunderbolt version would be seemless

Last edited by steve119; Aug 26, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

It's not gonna be possible, unless a bunch of people write and complain to Apple. This is just Apple being difficult, not the first time...
Mac32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:44 AM   #10
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac32 View Post
It's not gonna be possible, unless a bunch of people write and complain to Apple. This is just Apple being difficult, not the first time...
How can you say it's apples fault? It's the third party companies that are dragging their heels over putting out a solution.

Black magic design has done it but to the cost of having hdcp protection, thus gimping the input.....
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve119 View Post
How can you say it's apples fault? It's the third party companies that are dragging their heels over putting out a solution.

Black magic design has done it but to the cost of having hdcp protection, thus gimping the input.....
You should do some more research about this. There's plenty of blame to go around, but the main issue is definately with Apple.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:10 AM   #12
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You should do some more research about this. There's plenty of blame to go around, but the main issue is definately with Apple.
Er no I do not, you need to provide evidence of your research that apple is indeed to blame.

I have done my research and there is nothing to suggest this is the case.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:46 AM   #13
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Yeah well how about Apple making the Thunderbolt input on the iMac backward compatible with DisplayPort? That way I could just get an HDMI to DP adapter, connect to the HDMI source and use the iMac solely as a monitor?

Or even better how about giving iMac an HDMI input port? A simple input port won't kill or affect the thickness now, will it?

But no .. they do not give you that. Why? Because Apple does not want to, Apple could have made it easy but again, it's all the lockdown all over again .. So again why it's not Apple's fault? Third party has nothing to do with it.
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 12:36 PM   #14
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Yeah well how about Apple making the Thunderbolt input on the iMac backward compatible with DisplayPort? That way I could just get an HDMI to DP adapter, connect to the HDMI source and use the iMac solely as a monitor?

Or even better how about giving iMac an HDMI input port? A simple input port won't kill or affect the thickness now, will it?

But no .. they do not give you that. Why? Because Apple does not want to, Apple could have made it easy but again, it's all the lockdown all over again .. So again why it's not Apple's fault? Third party has nothing to do with it.
I'm sorry but there are ways to get hdmi into the imac, if you can afford it.

Why do you feel that it's apples fault. They do not have to make any adaptor if they do not want to. There are companies that do not wish to make thunderbolt alternatives, or are dragging their feet.

Do you wish to tell me how that makes it apples fault? Also would you also blame dell or hp? They do not make hdmi input adapters for their machines. Would you blame them?

Also bear it in mind that intel were the people that developed thunderbolt, so by your reasoning shouldn't we be blaming them? I would probably bet there is a licensing issue right there.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Everybody is entitled to an opinion. However, I strongly disagree with yours. It's a very bad design choice to not make the iMac capable of receiving a video signal from an external source.

Quote:

Why do you feel that it's apples fault. They do not have to make any adaptor if they do not want to. There are companies that do not wish to make thunderbolt alternatives, or are dragging their feet.

Do you wish to tell me how that makes it apples fault? Also would you also blame dell or hp? They do not make hdmi input adapters for their machines. Would you blame them?

Also bear it in mind that intel were the people that developed thunderbolt, so by your reasoning shouldn't we be blaming them? I would probably bet there is a licensing issue right there.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:23 PM   #16
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Everybody is entitled to an opinion. However, I strongly disagree with yours. It's a very bad design choice to not make the iMac capable of receiving a video signal from an external source.
As I've said it could be a good possibility that there are licensing issues with intel for third parties to allow thunderbolt inputs for hdmi, I'm sure I shouldn't need to point that one out what with the patent wars and all that.

You said I needed to research more into what I was arguing and yet I haven't seen anything from you to prove it is in fact apple to blame for not allowing hdmi input, so therefore I will assume from that yours is an opinion also.

I disagree with your opinion, although I feel that to a point that as we both do not have an input into the licensing or ins outs of the thunderbolt deal with intel/apple/third parties then all we have are opinions.

----------

Oh wait, I'm right, if you want to blame anyone it's intel on their quality over quantity claims.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...ies-on-the-way
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...off-the-market

Last edited by steve119; Aug 28, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 07:23 PM   #17
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Yes there is .. but it's unnecessarily expensive, complicated and also induces lag. In a word, uneconomical.

Quote:

Actually many of Dell and HP's AIOs has HDMI input built in.
It's so easy to connect a HDMI device directly to the computer without any need of adapter or active video capturer.

Nope I don't blame Intel for developing Thunderbolt. But I blame Apple for limiting our option. Okay let's say there is a licensing issue between TB and HDMI .. then how about providing another port for HDMI input?
Shouldn't be that hard to be done, and again DELL and HPs AIOs have it. Why not the iMac? That's right, why?
iSayuSay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:53 AM   #18
steve119
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
Yes there is .. but it's unnecessarily expensive, complicated and also induces lag. In a word, uneconomical.

Actually many of Dell and HP's AIOs has HDMI input built in.
It's so easy to connect a HDMI device directly to the computer without any need of adapter or active video capturer.

Nope I don't blame Intel for developing Thunderbolt. But I blame Apple for limiting our option. Okay let's say there is a licensing issue between TB and HDMI .. then how about providing another port for HDMI input?
Shouldn't be that hard to be done, and again DELL and HPs AIOs have it. Why not the iMac? That's right, why?
How do you know there is lag in the black magic intensity box? have you tried it? I did the experiment with the USB 3.0 box and there was a very small occasional amount of lag there. The thunderbolt version?, well I don't know but the speed difference would probably sort that problem out.

Yes you should blame intel for the adaptor part. They have(OWN) the licence for thunderbolt(read the links I put up), not apple. As for not putting a HDMI input into the iMacs, why should they? The majority of people do not use their iMacs for this reason, and if they did then they can probably afford the options out there.

You realise that you can also use other usb 3.0 video inputs for windows via bootcamp right? So you're not just limited to Apple compatible products?

Also if you bought a new iMac then you would have surely looked into the pros and cons of what inputs and outputs it can deal with. I did.

The thread title is HDMI through thunderbolt, will it be possible? I say yes.....at a price, and if intel don't cripple the input through high costs and limited licensing.

Last edited by steve119; Aug 29, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac