Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
What speeds, download and upload (in mbps) are widely considered as:

-2G

- 3G

- 4G

- 4GLTE

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
kind of subjective, since speed depends heavily on which cellular technology your looking at (GSM or CDMA), network infrastructure, network load, bandwidth....etc. there are theoretical maximums for each level, which the end user likely will never see. there are too many variables to consider. your data speeds may be different than mine. i can give you an idea from experience, but they will be vague and general.

when i had AT&T

EDGE: .75-1.5 mbps
3G: 1- 5 mbps
H+: 3-14 mbps
LTE: 10-???

Verizon CDMA

1XRTT: <1 mbps
3G: 1-3 mbps
LTE: 15-30+ mbps

PhiladelphiaX

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
-EDGE Slow 50-100kbps
-3G 3mbps Good
-4G HSPA+ 14-42mbps Better
-4G up to 50-100mbps LTE Best

kind of subjective, since speed depends heavily on which cellular technology your looking at (GSM or CDMA), network infrastructure, network load, bandwidth....etc. there are theoretical maximums for each level, which the end user likely will never see. there are too many variables to consider. your data speeds may be different than mine. i can give you an idea from experience, but they will be vague and general.

when i had AT&T

3G: 1- 5 mbps
H+: 3-14 mbps
LTE: 10-???

Verizon CDMA

1XRTT: <1 mbps
3G: 1-3 mbps
LTE: 15-30+ mbps

Thanks for the quick responses. Are these down speeds or up speeds?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
They are all download speeds. CDMA always have worse EDGE and 3G speeds than their GSM counterparts, but LTE is more or less the same.:cool:

CDMA doesnt have EDGE....its a GSM 2G technology. its CDMA equivalent would be in between 1XRTT and 3G.

as i stated, theres no real way to actually answer the OP's question. way to many variables to considers. all we can do is generalize.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Correction: EDGE's max speed for real networks (using 4 slots) is 236Kbps. Even its theoretical max speed (8 slots, which AT&T didn't support) is only double that.

I always thought LTE was GSM tech, due to the SIM card requirement.

"LTE is a standard for wireless data communications technology and an evolution of the GSM/UMTS standards."

There's no cell radio compatibility between GPRS, UMTS or LTE. They share some background network components, but that's about it. To support all three, a phone needs all three types of radios.

"Evolution" is a marketing term. It's like saying an automobile is an evolution of a horse-drawn cart. Yes, it is, but their engines are not mechanically similar :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.