Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Sep 21, 2013, 03:14 AM   #1
mabaker
macrumors 65816

Question Mini Pinch to Home gesture - buggy, stuttery?

First of all, iOS 7 works on the mini quite well. All the animations are smooth EXCEPT the Pinch To Home one.

There is a noticeable lag and graphical artifacts (non-transluscent dock appearing for a second thus causing the jitteriness) once you use the 4 fingers Pinch To Home gesture.

Going to Home via the Home button has no visible problems, at all. All transitions are smooth.

Is anybody else's mini experiencing the stutter on the Pinch To Home animation?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:36 AM   #2
L T
macrumors 6502

Yep, it's there for me too. Not really annoying me at the moment as I haven't really picked up my iPad since my iPhone got iOS 7. (My mini had the GM)
L T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:39 AM   #3
iAmirul
macrumors regular

Yeah it was a known issue in the forum for iPad mini.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 06:47 AM   #4
mabaker
macrumors 65816

Thank you for your feedback, guys! good to know it's probably gonna be fixed.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:07 PM   #5
samanthas
macrumors regular

Just wanted to put out there my ipad 3 does this too.
samanthas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 07:23 PM   #6
BerlingerT
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to BerlingerT
I never really noticed it until now. It doesn't have to look perfectly smooth for me. Then again, I rarely ever use that gesture to get to the home screen. I just use the Home Button.
BerlingerT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:35 AM   #7
shiinx
macrumors newbie

The 5-finger pinch to home screen has a stutter for me, too. But I figured this is due to the changed animation times: Everything animates smoothly for the time the iOS6 animation took. But at this point the new animation is not done and directly jumps to the home screen.
I think the Apple engineers simply forogt to change the time constant associated with this animation to the new animation times.

What bugs me more is that the 4-finger swipe to show/hide the active apps no longer has an animation associated with it that corresponds to what you physically do. Before you would essentially drag the screen up or down to show the active apps. Now, you do this gesture for no apparent reason.
shiinx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 06:15 AM   #8
Skika
macrumors 68020

iPad 4 here, same thing.

Otherwise its decent, but some of the animations are still not quite there yet. Expecting this will be fixed with updates.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:30 AM   #9
skiltrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiinx View Post
The 5-finger pinch to home screen has a stutter for me, too. But I figured this is due to the changed animation times: Everything animates smoothly for the time the iOS6 animation took. But at this point the new animation is not done and directly jumps to the home screen.
I think the Apple engineers simply forogt to change the time constant associated with this animation to the new animation times.

What bugs me more is that the 4-finger swipe to show/hide the active apps no longer has an animation associated with it that corresponds to what you physically do. Before you would essentially drag the screen up or down to show the active apps. Now, you do this gesture for no apparent reason.
I agree about The four finger swipe up gesture. That one feels really awkward on 7. The intuitiveness of it has been stripped away. There's so many little things like that , that Apple seems to have overlooked. They were the kings of making fluid, intuitive interface gestures. Sad to see that slipping away.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:53 AM   #10
jprmercado
macrumors member

Have you guys noticed a difference between closing first-party apps versus closing third party apps? In my experience, the latter would close without stutter/lag, but first-party (Apple) apps would have it. :/

Also, like you guys, using the Home button doesn't yield any lag. Odd.
jprmercado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:11 AM   #11
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

I have also got this issue on my iPad 2 but thats not so surprising considering it also has an A5, hopefully it will be fixed in some update.
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 01:44 PM   #12
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

This is definitely an issue all over the iOS 7 even on iPad 4. The transparencies are whats causing a lot of the stuttering. Looking at screenshots on the app store fullscreen stutter like crazy. If you turn on "increase contrast" its smooth as butter. Surprised how NOT optimized these transparency effects are. But again only noticeable on screens wheres its used heavily.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad