Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
I got rid of my mac mini because I tend to not take my MBP 15" anywhere because of my ipad. So I put the MBP in the place of the mac mini. Didnt really need all three. Take ipad everywhere.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
My ipad has not really affected my use of my laptop: I tend to use the laptop much more because it is so much easier to type. I use the ipad for reading, video and web browsing, mostly lying down on a sofa or bed.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
I have a Macbook Air 11", and honestly, it's easier to use and type on plopped in my lap in my recliner than it is to hold and use my full-size iPad 3. And for me and the kind of work that I do, there are still a lot of things I can do much easier on the Air that are harder or impossible to do on the iPad. I like the iPad for reading books/magazines, viewing photos, news and weather apps, and of course on-the-go use.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe we should put age and current profession in threads like this, which have EVERYTHING to do with the needs of the user.

This is not an insult to anyone; just a reminder that different folks have different needs.

R

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Maybe we should put age and current profession in threads like this, which have EVERYTHING to do with the needs of the user.

This is not an insult to anyone; just a reminder that different folks have different needs.

R

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!!!! ;)

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
FYI - I'm a public school teacher, and content creation for my classes using Keynote and Pages is still easier on the Mac than on the iPad, as is video editing using iMovie, MPEG Streamclip, and other Mac apps.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I really enjoy both my iPad 4, and iPad mini.

Yet they are in no way a substitute, nor have they reduced the time I spend using my Apple laptops.

But for those who only do light tasks, playing games and surfing the web, an iPad can replace the computer they didn't need in the first place.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I don't have an AppleCare or any warranty for iPad. Damaged by dead pixels, LCD faded out, etc. :apple:

----------

No moving parts? How about rear camera with shutter/auto-focus? :apple:
Oh boy! You'd be shocked by what my kids have put their iPads through. My youngest has been caught accidentally jumping on his. The iPads go everywhere with us. They are in cases that protect the iPads but I don't really stress about them. My oldest uses his a lot for reading, researching, watching videos etc... And his is fine after 2 years. We haven't had problems with any of our 7 iPads that we have owned. I'm sure ours have been through more wear and rear than 90% of the iPads out there. My brother just bought my youngest's ipad 2 since I got him a mini and there was one tiny scratch on one corner and that was it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.