Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:37 PM   #51
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I don't think you can tell by the serial number.
you can
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:33 PM   #52
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic311 View Post
you can
How?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:07 AM   #53
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuel View Post
I believe there was a point where some Apple Stores in the US were swapping 3rd gens for 4th gens as long as you purchased it within 30 days.
If you bought it within two weeks before the iPad 4 was announced.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooby View Post

So yes, bottom line - they can't do this at all. Apple geniuses are nice, but not that nice.
That's not entirely true. They can do it, when corporate says its okay. What they can't do is do it just cause they want to. Because say you are really hot with big tits and the genius wants to hook up with you and figures a free upgrade will do it

----------

Quote:
I don't think you can tell by the serial number.
Some folks say you can because there is a system to how the numbers are given out. but that assumes that remanufactured iPads (cause they aren't refurbs in a traditional sense) aren't given new serials
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:52 AM   #54
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

----------

That's not entirely true. They can do it, when corporate says its okay. What they can't do is do it just cause they want to. Because say you are really hot with big tits and the genius wants to hook up with you and figures a free upgrade will do it

----------

Some folks say you can because there is a system to how the numbers are given out. but that assumes that remanufactured iPads (cause they aren't refurbs in a traditional sense) aren't given new serials
I think they are given new serials because when you try to check the warranty coverage status of an ipad you've had replaced on the Apple website, it will show that it is a replaced device.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:17 AM   #55
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

----------

----------

Quote:
I think they are given new serials because when you try to check the warranty coverage status of an ipad you've had replaced on the Apple website, it will show that it is a replaced device.
You can confirm that one is refurbished - sometimes. The first few digits of the serial number relate to the factory line it was built in. This is how they tell - some factory lines only build new, some only build refurbs, some build both. For example:

5K/QR (iPhone 4) - Refurbs only.
88 (iPhone 4) - New only.
C7 (iPhone 5) - Both new and refurbs.

So an iPhone 4 with serial 88********* is new, one with serial 5K******* or QR******* is a refurb, whilst an iPhone 5 with serial number C7******* could be either new or a refurb.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:28 AM   #56
Oui
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
What is with the sense of entitlement some seem to have around here? People expect Apple to just upgrade users to the latest version for free?
It's not just here. It's the world we live in.
Oui is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:39 AM   #57
braddick
macrumors 68030

Couple of thoughts:
The OP asks a question and then proceeds to answer his own question within subsequent (defensive) posts. His agenda is then in question.

Second, if I take my busted iPhone 2G will Apple replace it with an iP5 if the 2G is not available?
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:24 AM   #58
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddick View Post
Couple of thoughts:
The OP asks a question and then proceeds to answer his own question within subsequent (defensive) posts. His agenda is then in question.

Second, if I take my busted iPhone 2G will Apple replace it with an iP5 if the 2G is not available?
Bingo!
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:47 PM   #59
ggibson913
macrumors regular

I don't find it hard to believe that if an Apple Store doesn't have a 64GB Verizon iPad in stock they would give you a new one. Normally they replace it with the same model, color and everything. I have always gotten the same model when exchanging.
ggibson913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:01 PM   #60
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Y View Post
You can confirm that one is refurbished - sometimes. The first few digits of the serial number relate to the factory line it was built in. This is how they tell - some factory lines only build new, some only build refurbs, some build both. For example:

5K/QR (iPhone 4) - Refurbs only.
88 (iPhone 4) - New only.
C7 (iPhone 5) - Both new and refurbs.

So an iPhone 4 with serial 88********* is new, one with serial 5K******* or QR******* is a refurb, whilst an iPhone 5 with serial number C7******* could be either new or a refurb.
But with ipad 4s, I think the vast majority of serial numbers start with DM.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 05:07 AM   #61
iPadPublisher
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbflip2000 View Post
I also got a 4th gen after swapping a 3rd gen. They didn't have any 3rd gen in stock so i gave my 3rd gen and 30 pin cable and they gave me a 4th gen with a lightning cable. They will only do this if there is no 3rd gen of your particular model in stock. Mine was Verizon 64GB white.
They did the same for my brother in Idaho last week. And no, he wasn't feeling "entitled" -- the thought never even crossed his mind, actually. He was shocked and awed.
iPadPublisher is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad