Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Is it possible to take my ATV 3rd gen to a hotel, plug it into room's TV, then stream movies stored on iPhone/iPad to it?

I realise there are workarounds to get hotel wifi (with login landing pages) working on ATV for getting onto Netflix, etc, but I'm not fussed about the internet, just streaming locally.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
Well you are going to need to be on the same network at least. You won't need Internet, just have to be on the network on both devices.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Well you are going to need to be on the same network at least. You won't need Internet, just have to be on the network on both devices.

Yeah but it'll be difficult to join a hotel's wifi if it has a login page, no?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you have tethering, you can create a wifi network with your phone or iPad (if your iPad has cellular data) and join that with the ATV. Since you're streaming the movie from internal storage on the iPad/iPhone, you won't chew up a ton of tethering data.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it'll also require a hotel with TVs with an active HDMI port, i was just in a hotel, and the TV had an HDMI port, but it was disabled.

Also, just because your aTV and iOS device are on the same network, doesn't mean they can see each other. A lot of times in hotels, the wifi clients are isolated from each other. (as it should be, since i don't want everyone in the hotel having access to my computer).

Your best bet is either the HDMI cable directly to your iOS device.

or get an airport express, and hopefully your hotel has wired ethernet. You can make your own wireless network.
once you log-in via your laptop (or iOS device), the airport express is the registered device, so anything connected to it, is seen as logged in.

MoodyM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
it'll also require a hotel with TVs with an active HDMI port, i was just in a hotel, and the TV had an HDMI port, but it was disabled.

Also, just because your aTV and iOS device are on the same network, doesn't mean they can see each other. A lot of times in hotels, the wifi clients are isolated from each other. (as it should be, since i don't want everyone in the hotel having access to my computer).

Your best bet is either the HDMI cable directly to your iOS device.

or get an airport express, and hopefully your hotel has wired ethernet. You can make your own wireless network.
once you log-in via your laptop (or iOS device), the airport express is the registered device, so anything connected to it, is seen as logged in.

Is there such a thing as a combo HDMI/composite cable, to cover hotels that have older TVs with no HDMI?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.