Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Sep 15, 2013, 09:40 AM   #126
guzhogi
macrumors 68020

Had to get fingerprinted for my job. I guess in Illinois, all people who work in public schools need to get fingerprinted.
guzhogi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:32 AM   #127
flynnst0ne
macrumors regular

For those saying you've given fingerprints in the past.... consider this...

after giving your print for a form/license/check/whatever... when you left that office/bank/station, and went down the street to the grocery store... did that print tell anyone where you went?

it's not the same thing on a cell phone as it is on a piece of paper or in a database somewhere. it's realtime confirmation of your every move, with no plausible protest to the data.

wake up.
flynnst0ne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:46 AM   #128
throAU
macrumors 68030

Of course... never mind that by using a cellular device on a contract they already know pretty much exactly where you are at all times and can just come and collect your fingerprints if desired.

edit:
Can't remember exactly, but I do think i was fingerprinted at the US border when entering from Canada whilst on holiday (I'm a british citizen living in Australia).
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:02 PM   #129
vpro
macrumors 6502a

Etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
Who cares if they collect your finger prints?

If you have nothing to hide, surely there isn't a problem?
Ahh - this is what everyone with out power says, those with power say and do otherwise will rip you off of all your rights if they wanted, you have no real say in the matter. Just best not to own one of these control devices, they are so over priced any ways right? Why bother? Demand free wifi for life and free software, free hardware that all the above are user modifiable!

Etc...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnst0ne View Post
For those saying you've given fingerprints in the past.... consider this...

after giving your print for a form/license/check/whatever... when you left that office/bank/station, and went down the street to the grocery store... did that print tell anyone where you went?

it's not the same thing on a cell phone as it is on a piece of paper or in a database somewhere. it's realtime confirmation of your every move, with no plausible protest to the data.

wake up.
There are so many creative ways people have been known and reported doing with anything which IDs you and is unique to you. It doesn't matter what you think, you don't think like a professional criminal nor the authorities, fraud is a very - very REAL thing people, there are people in the world who are also wrongly jailed - just because there was a warrant out for their arrest, no questions asked, nothing. So, if they want you, they will find every way to get to you. Be open minded, don't live in an illusion or bubble of 'assumed security' these days.

Don't be so naive and so trusting of this over priced consumer gadget ! ^_^
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:52 AM   #130
LithePanther
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpro View Post
Ahh - this is what everyone with out power says, those with power say and do otherwise will rip you off of all your rights if they wanted, you have no real say in the matter. Just best not to own one of these control devices, they are so over priced any ways right? Why bother? Demand free wifi for life and free software, free hardware that all the above are user modifiable!

Etc...

----------

There are so many creative ways people have been known and reported doing with anything which IDs you and is unique to you. It doesn't matter what you think, you don't think like a professional criminal nor the authorities, fraud is a very - very REAL thing people, there are people in the world who are also wrongly jailed - just because there was a warrant out for their arrest, no questions asked, nothing. So, if they want you, they will find every way to get to you. Be open minded, don't live in an illusion or bubble of 'assumed security' these days.

Would you like to buy my tin-foil hat factory? Only 1000000000000 dollars and its yours!
LithePanther is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:35 AM   #131
vpro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithePanther View Post
Would you like to buy my tin-foil hat factory? Only 1000000000000 dollars and its yours!
That is a really generic thing to say, or have you really been producing them?

Since when tinfoil hat man? I want to see authenticity certificates before I believe you.

Thanks for being umm so awesome. I think?

Don't answer I already blocked you.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 02:56 PM   #132
LithePanther
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That is a really generic thing to say, or have you really been producing them?

Since when tinfoil hat man? I want to see authenticity certificates before I believe you.

Thanks for being umm so awesome. I think?

Don't answer I already blocked you.
Of course. I'm the best supplier of tin-foil hats in the world!!

I'll happily supply my certificates and awards when you provide me proof that you can afford the purchase!
LithePanther is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:43 AM   #133
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Excuse me?

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8b2
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 09:01 AM   #134
LithePanther
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginblue4 View Post
Excuse me?
Just another crazy. Don't worry about it.
LithePanther is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:49 PM   #135
satcomer
macrumors 68040

I don't worry to much since when i was in the US Army for 6 years they had my blood type and fingerprints. So the US government still has the data somewhere.

This is also true for anyone who has been in the US military the last 20 years. So No Such Agency probably has all the data info on you they want to start monitoring you.
satcomer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:31 PM   #136
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

that was my last iPhone.

I will buy a Nexus and erase all Google crap, install CyanogenMod without Google Play, install only from F-Droid repo apps.

see http://prism-break.org/
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:07 PM   #137
decafjava
macrumors 6502a

Get a home button sticker-problem solved.
decafjava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 05:42 PM   #138
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
I don't worry to much since when i was in the US Army for 6 years they had my blood type and fingerprints. So the US government still has the data somewhere.

This is also true for anyone who has been in the US military the last 20 years. So No Such Agency probably has all the data info on you they want to start monitoring you.
The unique aspect is for the NSA to combine your fingerprint with geo-spatial data on the phone and transactional data in one neat package.

The important question will be how 'sandboxed' this data is from other data. If the NSA can currently turn on the microphone and camera on a target phone, can they also access the fingerprint scanner in order to verify their target?

How can this information be fused into a single package of data remains the important question and how could this information be misused by government agencies and criminal enterprises?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 05:53 PM   #139
sjinsjca
macrumors 65816

Egad, the things people worry about.

Everything you've ever touched bears your fingerprints.
sjinsjca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2013, 09:37 PM   #140
Cole Slaw
macrumors 6502

What surprises me about Americans is how they get all up in arms (no pun intended) about the government trying to control guns but seem rather unconcerned about that same government collecting all their personal info such as emails, telephones calls and more, including, perhaps, the ability to surreptitiously turn on the camera and microphone on ones computer or smartphone and now collect finger prints.
I really don't get it.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:08 PM   #141
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post
The unique aspect is for the NSA to combine your fingerprint with geo-spatial data on the phone and transactional data in one neat package.

The important question will be how 'sandboxed' this data is from other data. If the NSA can currently turn on the microphone and camera on a target phone, can they also access the fingerprint scanner in order to verify their target?

How can this information be fused into a single package of data remains the important question and how could this information be misused by government agencies and criminal enterprises?
You already use a cell phone that has a GPS chip in the cell companies/police could track you in real time without hacking you. They been able to do this since the middle 1990's!
satcomer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 04:13 PM   #142
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by satcomer View Post
You already use a cell phone that has a GPS chip in the cell companies/police could track you in real time without hacking you. They been able to do this since the middle 1990's!
Read more carefully.

Quote:
...The unique aspect is for the NSA to combine your fingerprint with geo-spatial data on the phone and transactional data in one neat package.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:29 PM   #143
SMDBill
macrumors 6502

OP, I think it's a very safe bet they can, and do, access anything they choose at the time of their choosing.

Remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s when the huge push was to get broadband to every household, regardless of how rural? Any guesses as to why with the perspective we now have in 2013?
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:05 AM   #144
stylinexpat
macrumors 6502a

This is why you do not sync anything at all with any Cloud server or anyone online. You should only sync with your own personal computer. If you want your stuff to be safe then you should have two computers. The one you sync your iPad and smartphone with should never go online. The one that goes online should have nothing on it.

http://www.techradar.com/news/intern...a-year-1189564
200GB Vertex 2 SSD RAID
stylinexpat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:09 AM   #145
BenTrovato
macrumors 6502a

Everything is recorded and harvested. There's so many drones around now but I don't get why they need them when they have the technology to view the dandruff on your scalp from orbiting satellites.

However I read a cool article that they may start using drones as delivery services. Clever way to make them more acceptable. Our future has drones in them and your privacy was long gone about 20 years ago.

Obviously the NSA has your fingerprints already. The TSA has been gathering them for years.
BenTrovato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:43 AM   #146
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Slaw View Post
What surprises me about Americans is how they get all up in arms (no pun intended) about the government trying to control guns but seem rather unconcerned about that same government collecting all their personal info such as emails, telephones calls and more, including, perhaps, the ability to surreptitiously turn on the camera and microphone on ones computer or smartphone and now collect finger prints.
I really don't get it.
I'm with you. I suggest more people read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood, a terrific dystopian SF novel. She paints a very believable future where the US government has become a tyranny through their control of the computers that control American lives... There was nothing for an armed citizenry to rebel against. Certain segments of the population suddenly simply did not officially exist. You had no ID that was accepted. Your bank accounts disappeared. You couldn't travel, work, buy anything. As far as any computer system was concerned - you simply ceased to exist.

(It's been awhile since I've read the book, so I may have some details not quite right and this bit above is not the story.... that was just the background history that sets up the scenario for the story. Worth reading... trust me.)

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues