Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Cool. Thanks for the info!

Update: Avidemux appears to be defunct. It crashes on any attempt to launch it under Lion.

MobiusStrip

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Nope. Handbrake has no option to move the video frames from one file format to another. It insists on recompressing, which is pointless, time-consuming, and (most importantly) destructive.

diepalme

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
For me Handbrake is by far and away the best video converter for .mp4. Having said that there may be some other angles you want to look into:

With Quicktime 7 Pro you can easily copy video and audio tracks from one file to another and save the file as a .mov. As long as the video format is supported by your idevice (meaning the resolution and codec of the source video - and the same goes for the audio, of course) it will playback smoothly. You can for example open an .avi with supported audio/video and via the save as.. dialog create a self contained .mov without having to reencode anything.

Other solutions on the iPhone side would be to use another video player (such as goodplayer, avplayer or vlc for ios if you got it while it was available) and not transcode at all.

If you care about quality at all, not transcoding is always the best option, especially when you would have to process a whole bunch of files.

Bilalo

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2012
Oxford, England
I simply use video converter pro or music converter pro which cost like $3 each if im not wrong :) they're beyond awesome and I changed over 900 songs at one go and 14 movies.

oswi50

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Australia
handbrake is too slow

I run a win7 desktop PC & I am looking for a good fast programe that will convert my avi, xvid, divx etc to mp4 so I can watch them on the iPad.
I am using handbrake but it's as slow as a wet week. To convert a 1 hour TV episode will take handbrake over 3 hours to convert.
Any suggestions ?

sandyzoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
I run a win7 desktop PC & I am looking for a good fast programe that will convert my avi, xvid, divx etc to mp4 so I can watch them on the iPad.
I am using handbrake but it's as slow as a wet week. To convert a 1 hour TV episode will take handbrake over 3 hours to convert.
Any suggestions ?
I tried the video converter apps on my computer, and it can convert lots of video together and fast(in my mind, i think it is faster), and do some editing on the videos by that apps. It can convert to many formats, follow to the guide to convert avi to mp4.

Last edited:

weeksy

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2013
I just used handbrake.fr to convert a load of movies for the ipad. I'm not great at this stuff but worked easily and quickly - and can now watch an entire library of films offline. Thanks for the recommendation.

DioGuardi

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2013
Orlando, FL
If you're looking for free and easy-to-use video converter, HandBrake is your best choice.It supports almost all prevail videos formats.
If you need another more powerful one, I highly recommend Video Converter Ultimate, which is a 6 in 1 combination of Video Converter, Youtube Downloader, Video Editor, Video Player, DVD Ripper & DVD Creator.

Last edited:

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
If you're looking for free and easy-to-use video converter, HandBrake is your best choice.It supports most prevail videos formats.

I think he may have an answer by now look at the date on the thread you just resurrected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.