Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaygb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Hi guys

So I know there is numerous posts about this but I wanted to start my own thread as my situation is a bit different to the threads I've found.

I use both Logic 9 and Ableton Suite. I'm going to be using drum samples for my tracks and routing them out to outboard effects racks ie. Distortion, EQ.. Then routing them back in, i also have an SH101 that I will record audio from. My audio interface is a RME fireface UCX. I would have 15 - 30 tracks max in my projects with effects VST and may also run Massive, Battery 3, Razor and some other 3rd party plugins.

This is what I'm thinking:

$2065
New MAC MINI SERVER
2.6 Quad Core i7
16GB ram (buy online and install myself)
2 x 256GB Solid State Drive

Or

$1950 (eBay)
Late 2010 IMac 27"
2.8 Quad Core i7
32GB ram (buy online and install myself)
2TB Hard Drive
256 Sold State Drive

I would also get an external Hard Drive to store my sample libraries and run the straight out there rather then putting them on the computer..

I'm leaning towards the Mac mini but I know nothing about computers etc or what's the best for my situation..

I hope I've give you guys enough info. Hope to hear something soon.

Thanks

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Do you need the server version for some reason? You can save a ton of money by putting in your own drives.

Shaygb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Do you need the server version for some reason? You can save a ton of money by putting in your own drives.

I'm just not to confident in taking the mini apart to install my own drives otherwise I would do this.. But I know I would save a lot.. Hmm!

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
Hi guys

So I know there is numerous posts about this but I wanted to start my own thread as my situation is a bit different to the threads I've found.

I use both Logic 9 and Ableton Suite. I'm going to be using drum samples for my tracks and routing them out to outboard effects racks ie. Distortion, EQ.. Then routing them back in, i also have an SH101 that I will record audio from. My audio interface is a RME fireface UCX. I would have 15 - 30 tracks max in my projects with effects VST and may also run Massive, Battery 3, Razor and some other 3rd party plugins.

This is what I'm thinking:

$2065
New MAC MINI SERVER
2.6 Quad Core i7
16GB ram (buy online and install myself)
2 x 256GB Solid State Drive

Or

$1950 (eBay)
Late 2010 IMac 27"
2.8 Quad Core i7
32GB ram (buy online and install myself)
2TB Hard Drive
256 Sold State Drive

I would also get an external Hard Drive to store my sample libraries and run the straight out there rather then putting them on the computer..

I'm leaning towards the Mac mini but I know nothing about computers etc or what's the best for my situation..

I hope I've give you guys enough info. Hope to hear something soon.

Thanks

If I were you I would probably go with the mini it should be plenty. When I do music production I use FL studio. I have a Mini with a Dual Core i5 2.3 ghz with 8gb of ram and I have never had an issue with that not being able to keep up with my music production. But just to be sure, what is your current set up?

Shaygb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
If I were you I would probably go with the mini it should be plenty. When I do music production I use FL studio. I have a Mini with a Dual Core i5 2.3 ghz with 8gb of ram and I have never had an issue with that not being able to keep up with my music production. But just to be sure, what is your current set up?

My current set up is a 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4, 4gb ram the very basic model. I have the gear ready to go just need the computer. I don't mind spending the extra for more even if I may not need it..

----------

I've also read that a fusion drive reads samples faster then a SSD can someone clarify this or correct me if I'm wrong..

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
My current set up is a 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4, 4gb ram the very basic model. I have the gear ready to go just need the computer. I don't mind spending the extra for more even if I may not need it..

----------

I've also read that a fusion drive reads samples faster then a SSD can someone clarify this or correct me if I'm wrong..

They are both good computers I guess it just comes down to what you really want. Like I said I would probably go for the mini though. I don't see how It would be possible for a fusion drive to have better read speeds. If the data it's reading is on the SSD then it should be the same as reading it off another SSD and if its on the HDD then it's going to be slower than the SSD. I could be wrong though, it happened once before. ;)

Shaygb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
They are both good computers I guess it just comes down to what you really want. Like I said I would probably go for the mini though. I don't see how It would be possible for a fusion drive to have better read speeds. If the data it's reading is on the SSD then it should be the same as reading it off another SSD and if its on the HDD then it's going to be slower than the SSD. I could be wrong though, it happened once before. ;)

Yeah I'm going with the mini!! Going to order it in the next couple of days! Super excited!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.