Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I switched to Verizon a few months ago and signed up for the $70 unlimited share plan, 4gb data. Add my line access fee of $40 and my bill is $106 after discounts. I brought my wife onto my account the other day. She was on an old unlimited data plan, paying $85 a month. She bare uses 200mb a month, as do I. I had Verizon merge her onto my plan. All we pay is another $40 for her line access fee and she simply shares my unlimited calls and texts and my 4gb of data. So $106 + $40 come out to about $150 with taxes as opposed to the $190 we were paying separately. I suggest getting a Verizon shared data plan and doing the same thing.
you can get 5 lines for that price on T-Mobile. Plus T-Mobile had deployed Voice over LTE antennas in NYC. And T-Mobile will have a 20 x 20 MHz network in NYC.

Unlimited data after 4 day on my billing cycle over 10 gigs. Streaming live TV and FaceTime

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 85

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
Unless you have at least 3-4 smartphones all with data plans, VZW's shared plans are much more expensive than their old voice + individual data plans. Give T-Mobile a shot, I briefly tried it around where I live and coverage was just as good as VZW for me.

josh22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2013
re

Sounds like everyone thinks T-Mobie is the best solution.

If we move ahead with T-Mobile and both get iphone 5 through them what happens if we don't like their coverage. Are the iphone 5's able to be used on another network (either ATT or Verizon) or will we have to sell the phones?

Thanks.

Josh

Korilakkuma

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
California, USA

If we move ahead with T-Mobile and both get iphone 5 through them what happens if we don't like their coverage. Are the iphone 5's able to be used on another network (either ATT or Verizon) or will we have to sell the phones?

Thanks.

Josh

You can have them unlock the phone ( once paid in full ) so that it can be used on other GSM network... but it's not usable on verizon / sprint because they're CDMA.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

Thanks.

Josh
You have 14 days to return but I would check to make sure

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Prepaid t-mobile's $30 plan is the best you can get.
Or Straight talk if you buy some refills off Amazon, often they are a bit cheaper.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
you can get 5 lines for that price on T-Mobile. Plus T-Mobile had deployed Voice over LTE antennas in NYC. And T-Mobile will have a 20 x 20 MHz network in NYC.

what a bunch of lies about T-Mobile.

1) They have deployed Rel. 10 LTE antennas, but they don't support VoLTE yet. They support HD Voice, but that's not the same thing. Even if VoLTE is deployed in the future, iPhone 5 won't support it. That is still off in the future. No hardware currently supports VoLTE.

2) They DO NOT have a 20x20 network nor will they anytime soon. They will launch LTE in NYC at 5x5 and move up to 10x10. THEY DO NOT HOLD ENOUGH SPECTRUM to launch 20x20 yet. Even when they launch 10x10 LTE, they will have to cut back DC-HSPA down to HSPA+ 21, so they have enough for 10x10 LTE. Only place where 10x10 LTE + DC-HSPA is possible is places like Houston, Salt Lake (so far)

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

Thanks.

Josh

You have 14 days. If the coverage sucks then return the phones and switch to another carrier.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
and OP, I would think LONG AND HARD about switching to TMobile. There are way too many Magenta fanboys on here who will sing praise on how much money they save and how precious their beloved unlimited data plan is, but it is complete *********. They don't realize that there is a world outside of NYC. Their network is spotty and only fast in the middle of major cities. Once you leave, it's useless because TMo only deploys EDGE there.

It doesn't matter how much you save or if you have unlimited data, what's the point of mobile data, if you can't actually USE IT while being mobile (ie on a trip outside of the city)?

Coming from AT&T and VZW, you're giving up lots of coverage, in exchange for marginal savings and mediocre network coverage.

For those who claim that I have no experience with T-Mobile, I have a pre-paid SIM I use all the time to check coverage here in Boston, and my Audi's MMI system runs on T-Mobile. I take trips all up and down the Northeast and it's always in EDGE, unless I'm in the middle of a large city. Completely useless for the $30/month I spend on the service.

----------

Thanks.

Josh

You would have to pay off the phones from T-Mobile, then unlock them (they'll give you the codes). Then you can put an AT&T sim in it, and it will work fine.

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2012
Man, I'd go on a cheap byo plan and stick with your phones, they are better than the 5 in my opinion, more reliable too.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
what a bunch of lies about T-Mobile.

1) They have deployed Rel. 10 LTE antennas, but they don't support VoLTE yet. They support HD Voice, but that's not the same thing. Even if VoLTE is deployed in the future, iPhone 5 won't support it. That is still off in the future. No hardware currently supports VoLTE.

2) They DO NOT have a 20x20 network nor will they anytime soon. They will launch LTE in NYC at 5x5 and move up to 10x10. THEY DO NOT HOLD ENOUGH SPECTRUM to launch 20x20 yet. Even when they launch 10x10 LTE, they will have to cut back DC-HSPA down to HSPA+ 21, so they have enough for 10x10 LTE. Only place where 10x10 LTE + DC-HSPA is possible is places like Houston, Salt Lake (so far)

Your 100% wrong Ericsson AIR antennas support VoLTE. When NYC goes live in June it will be 10x10mhz. NYC is mostly reframed to HSPA/HSPA+ 21. What do u do for a living? I build data centers, install and adjust antennas for carriers( most of my work is with att ). My information comes from what I do for a living.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.