Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In OS X Lion, are you using the new "natural direction" for scrolling still.

• Total voters

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
The moment I used a mouse, it had to be switched off. Feels decidedly unnatural with a mouse.

Dutch John

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
In my opinion the whole problem is based on two different ideas.
The first idea is the control by mouse, trackball and trackpad: then you don't use natural swiping. You move your fingers or wheel in the direction that you want to go or to see on the screen. This is the way it was since this devices are used, so we are used to it.
The second idea is the control by touching the screen: then you use natural swiping. And that this way of control feels as natural is obvious. If you don't agree, just try the opposite on a screen and you see it immediately.
Now more and more the touchscreen is used, so this way of controlling becomes more normal.
But we are looking to two different ways of controlling, and in my opinion mixing them up is a bloody thing to do. It is not consistent, it is not Apple-like. I think lotst of developers felt lost and deserted because Steve isn't there anymore, and they just didn't notice the inconsistency. Poor Steve, I'am sure he's turning in his grave.
I see it as a bug and it must be fixed ! It should be turned of as a default. Then those users with inconsistent
brains can turn them on again. And of course: if you turn off natural swiping in the vertical direction, it should turn
off in the horizontal direction too.
I turned it off: so it's off in the vertical direction now. But it can't be turned of in the horizontal direction.
I get grazy now. It makes my super Macbook Pro Retina a little bit less handy. Now I always have to remember that horizontal swiping is like touching the screen. I can't get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.