Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Hi guys,

A few years back, I converted a bunch of 8MM Home Videos by using iMovie HD 6 and capturing .dv footage. I then shared these iMovie edits with iDVD and burned them to DVD...

Here I am, several years later - and simply want to make ATV3 versions of everything so that I can simply watch these videos on the ATV3. Here's where I'm stuck... If I open up the files in iMovie 6, and do a Share with Quicktime using the highest quality settings - a typical .mov file for a 1-2 hour home video can end up being rather large. The default Share with ATV setting in iMovie 6 doesn't let you change ANY settings whatsoever (which I want to be able to do to make the quality possible). Also, when I go to share with Quicktime, ALL of my chapter markers are lost when I play back through Quicktime or the ATV3 - why is this?

If I take the .dv files individually and convert to m4v with Handbrake I can create smaller clips and these tend to do better but then I essentially have lost all of my edits and chapter markers from before. Any suggestions?

I also have a lot of Canon camcorder footage that I've imported from the past current years into the latest version of iMovie - is it typical to share this with Quicktime for ATV or do any of you guys use handbrake instead? What do you do with the raw footage - keep it or throw it after you've encoded?

Anyone throw their movies in iPhoto for easier viewing with ATV3 rather than iTunes? This thought occurred to me because all of my iPhone videos end up in iPhoto now so my current home videos are in iPhoto but I'm moving all of my past video into iTunes - seems silly to have different years in different places.

I'm simply trying to develop a workflow that is organized and will be future-proof (and easy to maintain) moving forward into the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any help regarding iMovie vs. Handbrake for exporting files would help a ton.

Thanks!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Hi, I've been you before- same situation, same kind of goals, etc.

Best option in a nutshell, download FCPX trial so you can get the Quicktime codecs for pro. This will add options like Pro Res to your output options. Output all of your old videos from iMovie 06 to Pro Res. This should preserve your Chapter Markers in the Pro Res file. Check one in Quicktime before going further and you see see your chapter markers are preserved.

Pro Res files will be HUGE. Use Handbrake on them to turn them back into a .m4v file. I suggest choosing the High Profile setting but you can also choose the very similar :apple:TV3 profile. Both will play fine on the "3". Since quality is your goal, consider pulling the constant quality slider down from the default of 20 to maybe 19. Much more than that is probably overkill. Choose "Web Optimized" so the stream will be quicker to start playing when you want to watch it. Make sure your chapter markers are checked "on" in Handbrake.

8mm originals probably means they are interlaced files. Go into "Picture Settings", Filters in Handbrake and choose Decomb: Default. That should get rid of interlacing lines in the final output.

I've tried lots of options over the years from iMovie and eventually just gave up on it and bought FCP X for all of my movie editing. It's way overkill for typical home movie editing but it's also much more capable and has abilities far beyond iMovie. I could never get the desired high quality level I was seeking in iMovie output and this solved that problem. FCP X to Pro Res to Handbrake seemed to be THE way to maximize visual quality from import to final render.

The iPhoto storage option is easy but I personally much prefer taking all of our video and properly editing it into final form, then rendering it as a .m4v. Tag it using Meta Z or similar with great descriptions & a poster image and you end up with all of your home movies readily available and playable on :apple:TV. It's really great when you just go all the way with them: import, edit, chapter markers, export to Pro Res, render with Handbrake, thoroughly tag with Meta Z or similar and add to iTunes for management. I tag all of ours as "TV Shows" instead of "Movies" so they are separate from the movies section and they easily organize by year when tagged as TV shows.

Home movies are the rare digital assets that will grow in personal value with each passing year. Prepare them well for your long-term future viewing and they'll bring you much joy for the rest of your life. It is totally worth the time & trouble- especially when you have many years between when they were shot and when you are viewing them. It's like bringing people back to life and getting to get reacquainted with very nuance details about loved ones that can be lost as our brains age.

Last edited:

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Thank you so much for the info! I actually do own Final Cut Pro X already (I use this for my HD editing currently) but I figured it would be a major pain to import all of my old iMovie 6 projects into Final Cut (since I already did the editing and chapter markers years ago). I also am not sure how easy it is to get iMovie 11 events into Final Cut. I pretty much only have been using it for current (this year) events.

When sharing via iMovie 6, there are multiple options for Pro Res. There is a Pro Res 422 (HQ) and then just regular Pro Res 422 - which one do I use?

Also, what do you do for audio? Does Linear PCM work for ATV or should I use AAC? Or should I let Handbrake do this? You don't select "De-interlace" inside of iMovie do you? (Again, I assume this is why you're using Decomb in Handbrake).

I could have sworn I read on another thread either here on MacRumors or the Apple discussions quite some time ago that iMovie 6's sharing to Quicktime Movie with H.264 actually had better results than Handbrake, and that it was the newer versions of iMovie that were the problem. I assume you've done real-world testing comparing the two? I myself seem to trust Handbrake a lot more for my encoding rather than iMovie or even Final Cut Pro.

Thanks for all the advice thus far. Do you delete the Pro Res files after you do your Handbrake .m4v since you still presumably have your original source in either iMovie or Final Cut Pro? Do you generally keep all these raw files still?

Thanks so much!

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Output all of your old videos from iMovie 06 to Pro Res. This should preserve your Chapter Markers in the Pro Res file. Check one in Quicktime before going further and you see see your chapter markers are preserved.

I did this but still don't see any chapter markers when viewing in Quicktime. I also don't see them when I select the Pro Res file as the source in Handbrake. Do chapter markers only work when sharing with iDVD in this version of iMovie? That's all I've ever had as output from iMovie 6 but have kept it around with all the original projects for specifically this reason - that I may need to do this someday.

Pro Res files will be HUGE.

Do you keep these around or delete them after you Handbrake them?

Thanks so much!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
What version of Quicktime are you using (in trying to see Chapter markers)? It's been a while since I did it but I'm pretty confident I didn't have to export to iDVD to preserve Chapter Markers through this workflow. I had to look up the process. Here you go...

You need Quicktime 7 Pro. To add chapters to the movie you exported from iMovie, do this:

1. Locate the files iMovie keeps ready to share to iDVD -- a movie which includes chapters -- inside the iMovie HD project package. To look inside the package, Control-click on the project icon and choose "Show Package Contents" from the popUp menu. The movie for iDVD is in the Shared Movies > iDVD folder. Double-click on it to open in QuickTime Player. The chapters should appear in the lower-right corner.

2. Press Command-J. A window will open that lists the various tracks that comprise the movie. Click on the "Chapter" track, then press the "Extract" button at the top of the window. A new movie window will open, containing the Chapter track only. (You won't see anything.)

3. Activate the chapter-only movie and choose Edit > Select All. Copy. Close the chapter-only movie without saving.

4. Open the movie you exported from iMovie. Choose Edit> Select All. Choose Edit > Add to Movie, which Pastes the Chapter track that's on the Clipboard into your exported movie.

5. Press Command-J. Click on the Video Track, then the Other Settings tab at the bottom of the window. Set the "Chapters" popUp menu to "Chapter Track". (That sets the Video Track to use your chapters.)

6. Activate the movie window. It should now show chapters in the lower-right corner.

7. Save. They should be there after this.

8. Handbrake per prior notes. Wallah!

No, I don't keep the Pro Res files around after I render (and check) them via Handbrake. Since I have the original iMovie or FCPX files, no need to burn that much space to save 1 step if I wanted to run them through Handbrake again. I could always just export them as Pro Res again.

Per post #3. Pro res not HQ, let handbrake set the audio by using a Handbrake preset, it's been a long time on head-to-head testing and I've stuck with Handbrake ever since (including much later tests vs Compressor too) but things could have improved since back then, Decomb (in Handbrake) not Deinterlace in QT (Decomb does a great job with old interlaced video- try it).

Lastly, going forward & since you have both, I encourage you to proceed with FCP X. It's not a much bigger learning curve vs. iMovie (especially how '06 works) and it gives you many options that are still not there in iMovie (Dolby Digital for example if your camera captures it). Chapter markers are now very easy in the latest FCP X (that process listed above is not necessary- the Pro Res render will have the Chapter markers already in place, ready for Handbrake). Personally, I just have more confidence in FCP X than iMovie. I'll give that the latter is probably easier to pick up but the former is really quick and feature-loaded (and freshened up with new features more regularly). All the old stuff already edited in iMovie should probably be kept for the future (H.265 will show up before we know it), but new stuff you shoot now probably should be edited & rendered from FCP X since you already have it.

Frankly, FCP X felt more like an iMovie 06 followup to me than iMovie 08, 09 and 11. Sometimes "for dummies" simplicity isn't the most desirable (IMO).

Last edited:

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
What version of Quicktime are you using (in trying to see Chapter markers)? It's been a while since I did it but I'm pretty confident I didn't have to export to iDVD to preserve Chapter Markers through this workflow. I had to look up the process. Here you go...

You need Quicktime 7 Pro. To add chapters to the movie you exported from iMovie, do this:

1. Locate the files iMovie keeps ready to share to iDVD -- a movie which includes chapters -- inside the iMovie HD project package. To look inside the package, Control-click on the project icon and choose "Show Package Contents" from the popUp menu. The movie for iDVD is in the Shared Movies > iDVD folder. Double-click on it to open in QuickTime Player. The chapters should appear in the lower-right corner.

2. Press Command-J. A window will open that lists the various tracks that comprise the movie. Click on the "Chapter" track, then press the "Extract" button at the top of the window. A new movie window will open, containing the Chapter track only. (You won't see anything.)

3. Activate the chapter-only movie and choose Edit > Select All. Copy. Close the chapter-only movie without saving.

4. Open the movie you exported from iMovie. Choose Edit> Select All. Choose Edit > Add to Movie, which Pastes the Chapter track that's on the Clipboard into your exported movie.

5. Press Command-J. Click on the Video Track, then the Other Settings tab at the bottom of the window. Set the "Chapters" popUp menu to "Chapter Track". (That sets the Video Track to use your chapters.)

6. Activate the movie window. It should now show chapters in the lower-right corner.

7. Save. They should be there after this.

8. Handbrake per prior notes. Wallah!

I followed all of these steps exactly all the way through #6 (the chapter markers show up in the prores file in the lower-right corner of Quicktime).

When I Command-S or File Save, I hear the Apple error sound like it won't take it but I see no error message on the screen. I can do a Save As and rename the file but this takes FOREVER as it literally copies the huge prores file again.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here - it literally has the chapters inside of Quicktime but it's not letting me save it. If I try to exit, it asks me if I want to save changes, but when I click to save - it gives me the same error beep.

I'm using Quicktime Pro 7.6.6 (1709).

--

I also have one either weird question. If I Handbrake the original .dv file from my iMovie HD project (located in the Project-->Show Package Contents-->Media-->.dv file) - the resulting .m4v file has a slightly different viewing experience than the iMovie HD project to ProRes output that was ran through Handbrake.

For example, the image seems slightly stretched on the .m4v from the prores file and not as bright but the one from the .dv file seems correct in terms of proportion (has wider black bars on both sides when viewed on 50" plasma TV)
and not as bright. How could this be? Did I mess something up inside of my project years ago when I did this or did I screw something up in Handbrake? There's a part of me that is just considering taking the raw .dv files and just re-editing everything in Final Cut Pro X. I'm a bit confused - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for all the help so far!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Sorry Rock, I can't remember exactly what happened there. I converted my iMovie 06 archives quite a long time ago (when FCP X first came out and I got that Pro Res codec for Quicktime). I know I used that process because I stored that list with my iMovie 06 archives in case I ever had to do it again. Maybe I did just "save as" and wait out the "forever" before moving on to Handbrake to make the :apple:TV version. Maybe "save as" is taking forever because it is making a copy of the huge pro res file as part of the save process? I just can't remember.

Why don't you pick the shortest home movie you have that has at least 1 or 2 chapter markers in it (or just shoot a 3 minute video of a plain white wall and stick 2 or 3 chapter markers in that), send it through the process and then try "save as" to gauge if it too is forever or not quite forever (since it should be a much smaller file). If it works, consider just waiting out bigger iMovie files (set up the "save as" before you go to bed and hopefully forever will pass overnight).

If you try that shortest movie file and "save as" still actually takes forever, let me know and I'll dig the archives back out and generate a new one myself to see if I can figure it out.

As to the DV direct question vs. iMovie version (brightness, aspect ratio differences), there are so many variables in that question, it would be hard to offer much help. Converting direct from DV is going to maximize quality because there is not a generational loss from DV-iMovie-m4v (but of course, this sacrifices editing benefits). I also noticed iMovie seemed to "rob" the final of some brightness back when I was using it (I've read something about QT gamma issues/bug back then). Another reason to go FCP X going forward.

Aspect ratio (width of final) is a whole can of worms. It could be the import into iMovie years ago, it could be something in your export settings from iMovie, etc. Handbrake has options to alter aspect ratio but that can turn into a guessing game if you are trying to target a "squeeze" to get it back to how it looks in the original DV.

If you really want to maximize, consider going back to your originals and kicking iMovie out of the equation. Get DV into FCP X, redo your Chapter Markers in FCP X, export to Pro Res, Handbrake to m4v. You could have both iMovie and FCP X open at the same time to speed up the process of duplicating Chapter marker locations and all of that. But that can be a big job depending on how much old iMovie video you have.

You could also do various experiments with your iMovie export options to try to correct brightness, etc. but I personally never found a solid workflow for iMovie when quality maximization was the paramount concern. iMovie is very easy for the masses to make edited home movies. I don't know if the max quality hounds can actually get what they want out of it.

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Revamping this thread as I'm actually still in the process of determining a better workflow for home videos.

Is HobeSoundDarryl's above advice still the best approach here in 2017?

I'm looking for the best way to preserve old .dv and .mov (AVD camcorder footage) files that I currently have in iMovie 6 and iMovie 10. Basically I just want to view this content on an ATV4. I currently don't care about editing - just viewing for the future.

All of my home videos these days are shot on my iPhone 7 plus and stored in iCloud Photo Library. I can very easily then view these videos on my Apple TV without any trouble. It's accessing the older content that is the issue for me.

What is everyone else doing these days? Anyone using Plex?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Yes good advice if you want high quality and chapter markers. Otherwise, if you are not editing, just use handbrake to convert the files to ATV directly. As a media server, I use iTunes on a server (spare mac I have laying around). It just works. Plex may work better for organizing large numbers of TV or Movie media files. Add show titles, genre, and sorting data (via stubler) to organize the videos (I do it by year).

Keep the originals in your archive, don't throw them away.

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Yes good advice if you want high quality and chapter markers. Otherwise, if you are not editing, just use handbrake to convert the files to ATV directly. As a media server, I use iTunes on a server (spare mac I have laying around). It just works. Plex may work better for organizing large numbers of TV or Movie media files. Add show titles, genre, and sorting data (via stubler) to organize the videos (I do it by year).

Keep the originals in your archive, don't throw them away.

Thanks for the response. Quick question - for movies that were captured into iMovie 6 as .mov files (from AVD camcorder), is there any quality benefit to importing these into Final Cut, exporting as Pro Res, and then doing the Handbrake conversion from the Pro Res file? Or... will the result be the same if I take the .mov directly from the iMovie folder structure and Handbrake it directly?

Basically, my issue right now is this: I have a huge directory called "iMovie Events" in which all of my captured video is in tact and organized. However, I really do not wish to ever use iMovie again. If I were to ever edit this footage in the future (no plans to right now - just want this stuff viewable on ATV), it would be in Final Cut. Is there any reason to keep the folders that iMovie creates called "iMovie Cache", "iMovie Movie Cache", and "Thumbnails."? I created a Hazel rule to basically sort through this huge directory of events and create one master folder w/ just the .mov files that I care about (eliminating all of the "cache" files) so that I can Handbrake this huge folder. Will I be losing anything if I delete all those cache files? Thanks in advance!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Still not quite clear on the format of your original files, but if Handbrake will open them directly, just use that with the Apple TV3 preset. If they are interlaced then use the "slower" de-interlace choice in the picture settings dialog, it does a nice job and still renders quickly with standard definition footage on a recent Mac with a decent CPU. Edit: just realized I'm running an old version of Handbrake, so there may be some better settings in the current version.

What possible advantage could there be to opening a file and exporting it in another format before encoding with Handbrake? The only time that would make sense is if you have edited the video and added effects like color correction, mattes, motion graphics, etc. That would avoid possible quality loss by compressing them as DV before encoding in Handbrake.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I wont pretend to have an absolute solution for you but some things to consider -

Do you want your end result to be as good as the original 8mm video with respect to what is in the file (details) and how it plays back? If yes, why go through Handbrake and compress the file again? The original .dv is a compressed file and then you are compressing the compressed file again with Handbrake. The ideal solution is to find a way to reserve all the original detail in the transfer to a different format. I know there are people out there who say Handbrake settings are really good and they may be but think about it - would you take an original photo and simply use a copier machine to reduce its size to fit into your wallet? Chances are you would go another route that preserves as much detail as possible.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
If yes, why go through Handbrake and compress the file again? The original .dv is a compressed file and then you are compressing the compressed file again with Handbrake.

Oh, I completely agree with you there. I have all my original files. But I like watching them on my Apple TV's (3rd generation) and they really are not happy with big files, even though they're on hardwired ethernet with a fast server. An hour of DV footage is around 12gb. But compressed with high quality settings in Handbrake it's less than 1gb and plays nicely on the Apple TV.

My video was shot with professional cameras and I can certainly tell the difference. But the Handbrake-compressed files look surprisingly good on the Apple TV. If you were shooting with a cheap consumer camera, I suspect you are losing very little by going with a highly compressed h.264 Handbrake file.

rock15478

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
I wont pretend to have an absolute solution for you but some things to consider -

Do you want your end result to be as good as the original 8mm video with respect to what is in the file (details) and how it plays back? If yes, why go through Handbrake and compress the file again? The original .dv is a compressed file and then you are compressing the compressed file again with Handbrake. The ideal solution is to find a way to reserve all the original detail in the transfer to a different format. I know there are people out there who say Handbrake settings are really good and they may be but think about it - would you take an original photo and simply use a copier machine to reduce its size to fit into your wallet? Chances are you would go another route that preserves as much detail as possible.

This is specifically for playing on my Apple TV.

I have some old video (from 1985 to 2000 time frame) that is in .dv format (captured into iMovie 6 HD w/ a firewire 8mm camcorder) and some video (from 2008 to 2012 time frame) that is in .mov format (captured into iMovie 10 w/ the camcorder it was recorded on)...

I'm not sure how else to get a decent experience on a television. Playing the .dv or .mov files directly results in terrible playback experience. Everything I've read says to use Handbrake to make the files much more manageable for playing back on the TV. I'm not deleting my other files - this is simply for ease of viewing content and watching the content w/ family.

How would you suggest I "reserve all the original detail in the transfer to a different format"? Isn't the video captured in the camcorder already compressed? I'm not sure I can do any better than what I have in iMovie already can I?

Would re-capturing into Final Cut Pro be a better method? I guess I just wasn't sure if importing into Final Cut and exporting as Pro Res would be a better option or not...

Regardless, I just want to view this content in the easiest way to manage. Thanks for any help!

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
See my post above. With old 8mm digitized movies, I'm sure Handbrake quality will be fine. And as I also said above, there should be no point in capturing and exporting from Final Cut Pro unless you did something strange in iMovie to degrade the quality.

Why not just TRY converting a file in Handbrake, then see if you are happy with the results?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Would re-capturing into Final Cut Pro be a better method? I guess I just wasn't sure if importing into Final Cut and exporting as Pro Res would be a better option or not...

Regardless, I just want to view this content in the easiest way to manage. Thanks for any help!

The most significant reason to use FCP for home movies would be for its media management capability. Very powerful if you ever intend to extract footage of certain people or places, or have several TB of footage. I was going to say only (IMHO), but editing and compiling segments is nice.

Otherwise just run the video file through handbrake using its ATV presets and see if you like it. If Handbrake doesn't recognize the video files, you may need to transcode first. Handbrake does not modify the source file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.