Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
As the subject line says, was very much hoping the new update would resolve the issue where the library is on a wi-fi connection (notebook) and the Apple TV is on an ethernet connection (highest speed) and the two can't see each other via Home Sharing.

Still not working. Still have no choice but to unplug the ethernet cable from Apple TV and use it on wi-fi only. Very disappointing.

BJ

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
As the subject line says, was very much hoping the new update would resolve the issue where the library is on a wi-fi connection (notebook) and the Apple TV is on an ethernet connection (highest speed) and the two can't see each other via Home Sharing.

Still not working. Still have no choice but to unplug the ethernet cable from Apple TV and use it on wi-fi only. Very disappointing.

BJ

Strange - I've always been using my ATV3 this way (ATV3 with latest firmware is on Ethernet, MBP is on Wi-Fi (iTunes latest 10.x version always - haven't tested with the brand new 11 yet), both connected to the same AP) and have never had any problems streaming both home and protected iTunes Store movies.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Strange - I've always been using my ATV3 this way (ATV3 with latest firmware is on Ethernet, MBP is on Wi-Fi (iTunes latest 10.x version always - haven't tested with the brand new 11 yet), both connected to the same AP) and have never had any problems streaming both home and protected iTunes Store movies.

I use my notebook and iTunes to play music and stream it via Home Sharing to two iHome wi-fi wireless speakers as well as my Apple TV 2. So my setup is:

Wi-fi: Notebook w/iTunes
Wi-fi: iHome wireless speaker 1
Wi-fi: iHome wireless speaker 2
Ethernet: Apple TV 2

For the first 18 months, I could do this with my ATV2 connected via ethernet cable, get the highest speed possible for Apple TV. With the prior firmware update (must have been around August or September) I lost this ability, my ATV2 can't see my notebook even though they are on the same network (it's the FiOS cable modem and router that the ATV2 is wired into for cripesakes).

When connected via ethernet, I can stream content and use AirPlay but I can't use Home Sharing. Very annoying. If I disconnect the cable, let the ATV2 connect via wi-fi, toggle Home Sharing on/off, boom it works. But I placed my FiOS router right at my Apple TV because I wanted the best speed possible. I don't want to have to use wi-fi.

BJ

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm...

What kind of router?

Does it some home set up difference subnets for wired and wireless connections?

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012

iv been using my apple tv 3rd gen this way too.

initially before i purchased a long ethernet cable i used wifi, but i use ethernet for months now, and my mbp is nearly always on wifi

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
What kind of router?

Yep my thoughts exactly... What are the IP addresses of both the wired devices as well as the wireless ones?

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
What kind of router?

It's the all-in-one cable modem and router from Verizon, the latest FiOS quantum version.

I don't know what a subnet is; how can I check?

BJ

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Check IP addresses

It's the all-in-one cable modem and router from Verizon, the latest FiOS quantum version.

I don't know what a subnet is; how can I check?

BJ

Subnets are local networks. They're usually created for security reasons (say you wanted anyone to be able to connect to your home wifi to get online, but only special guests would have access to your file server) from what I understand.

Check the IP addresses.

The first three should be the same for all devices, like 192.168.1.xxx or 10.0.0.xx

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I've had nothing but horrible luck using routers from the cable company. Much *much* better to use your own router (preferably an Apple Airport model, but anything is better than the crap you'll get from your cable co.).

Best to get a boring-old cable modem from Verizon and bring your own router/wifi base station combo.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

I've had nothing but horrible luck using routers from the cable company. Much *much* better to use your own router (preferably an Apple Airport model, but anything is better than the crap you'll get from your cable co.).

Best to get a boring-old cable modem from Verizon and bring your own router/wifi base station combo.

Same here, except that most Verizon FIOS customers don't have any options.

If possible, get a separate router and turn off the router functionality of the FIOS modem/router. I tried to bridge my Airport Extreme and then tried to just use the CenturyLink DSL modem/wireless router, but both attempts failed.

I only got everything working by using my own router.

Regardless, the OP's setup SHOULD work, as long as everything is on the same subnet.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Subnets are local networks. They're usually created for security reasons (say you wanted anyone to be able to connect to your home wifi to get online, but only special guests would have access to your file server) from what I understand.

Check the IP addresses.

The first three should be the same for all devices, like 192.168.1.xxx or 10.0.0.xx

Forgive the naivety, but how do I check the IP addresses and (ultimately) change them so that they are all the same (eliminate the subnet)?

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
photo1-2.jpg

Above are the ATV2 configs when ethernet is plugged in and when wi-fi is in use.

See anything there that would prevent Home Sharing using ethernet and wi-fi together?

BJ

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Same here, except that most Verizon FIOS customers don't have any options.

If possible, get a separate router and turn off the router functionality of the FIOS modem/router. I tried to bridge my Airport Extreme and then tried to just use the CenturyLink DSL modem/wireless router, but both attempts failed.

I only got everything working by using my own router.

Regardless, the OP's setup SHOULD work, as long as everything is on the same subnet.

I had no problems bridging my CenturyLink DSL modem/router with my Airport Extreme. The router does all the DHCP handoffs, and my 3 Airport Extremes do all the wifi and ethernet (my "main" extreme is hardwired to the DSL modem in bridge mode, and the other two are setup to extend the wifi).

Now I don't have Fios, I have traditional DSL.

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001

Above are the ATV2 configs when ethernet is plugged in and when wi-fi is in use.

See anything there that would prevent Home Sharing using ethernet and wi-fi together?

BJ

They look fine... The good news is that both wifi and wired are on the same subnet... The bad news is your problem is that much more a mystery. :(

While I'm pretty sure I know the answer... What IP address is your Mac / Windows box getting (where iTunes is running). If its also 192.168.1.XXX then the mystery deepens.

Also have you tried quitting and restarting iTunes?

I had an issue where home sharing would just up and die after some indeterminate period of time... Odder still was this issue seemed to resolve itself by some unknown action. Perhaps it was the last ML update ... I'm not quite sure tho since I also switched to a new 2012 Mac mini as my iTunes server.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Just a shot, but did you see this post (#240)?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1355892/

I LOVE you!

Problem solved. After months of trying and testing and rebooting and arguing with the wife, ethernet and wi-fi operates perfectly. There is a God.

For those who stumble across this thread in the future, the answer is:

For FiOS customers, do the following:

1. Go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser.
2. Go into Advanced Settings.
3. Set WMM to "disable".
4. Set IGMP to "off".
5. Save Settings, wait for reboot.

Thanks to all who helped today. Happy Holidays!

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.