Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walterwashere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
USA
I applied to AT&T for them to unlock my iPhone. It's been almost two weeks since I've done so, with nothing heard back from them. So, in that note, if you've unlocked your iphone, how was your experience doing it? And how did you do it?

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I've unlocked probably 8-10 iPhones using Unlock_Fusion on eBay. All of them cost me under $10 (that lastest few were around $3). They were all unlocked within about 12 hours. Some were unlocked in an hour or two.

Even if I was eligible for unlocks via At&t, I wouldn't bother with the headache.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I applied to AT&T for them to unlock my iPhone. It's been almost two weeks since I've done so, with nothing heard back from them. So, in that note, if you've unlocked your iphone, how was your experience doing it? And how did you do it?

Avoid unlocking through your official carrier at all costs -- it's usually cheaper and less time consuming from most of the stories I've heard. Best thing you can probably do is find a reputable site to unlock your phone for you.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Avoid unlocking through your official carrier at all costs -- it's usually cheaper and less time consuming from most of the stories I've heard. Best thing you can probably do is find a reputable site to unlock your phone for you.

Well said. AT&T denied me twice with old iPhones I had that were out of contract.
$4 on eBay and I had it done in a few hours without arguing with any customer support reps.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I unlocked two iPhones through ATT quite easily. Just put in a request online and a week later received the confirmation email to unlock.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
Well said. AT&T denied me twice with old iPhones I had that were out of contract.
$4 on eBay and I had it done in a few hours without arguing with any customer support reps.

I have a person who wants to buy the 2 4S's that I have but he said they have to be factory unlocked not by jailbreak. He is willing to give me a decent price for the 2 4S's. He is a student where I work and I met him on campus last week. My 4S's aren't unlocked. He said if I could get them factory unlocked he'll buy both. He had $650 ready to hand over.

The 4S's are under contract.

Does this eBay service offer a factory unlock?

Last edited:

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
About a month before I sold my 4S I called AT&T and asked for an unlock. The lady I spoke with sent the info to Apple and my phone was unlocked after a restore. I also used unlock_fusion on eBay to unlock my iPhone 5 and it was pretty quick.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I unlocked two iPhones through ATT quite easily. Just put in a request online and a week later received the confirmation email to unlock.
One iPhone unlocked through AT&T for me, but the same experience.

walterwashere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2011
USA
I have a person who wants to buy the 2 4S's that I have but he said they have to be factory unlocked not by jailbreak. He is willing to give me a decent price for the 2 4S's. He is a student where I work and I met him on campus last week. My 4S's aren't unlocked. He said if I could get them factory unlocked he'll buy both. He had $650 ready to hand over.

Yes, eBay services do offer factory unlocks. I've been recommended a seller called "unlock fusion" multiple times. A friend unlocked four iPhones with them. Unlocking them is only two bucks and much easier to do than going to AT&T itself. Just this morning, I was denied an unlock even with legit paperwork that was filed. I'd rather had paid two bucks earlier than waited two whole weeks for a rude no.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Yes.
Are they locked to AT&T?

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Another good feedback for unlock fusion on eBay. I've done over 20+ unlocks with him and they usually cost less than $4 for the iPhones.

rxllrn

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I used unlock_fusion on eBay, which cost $2. I didn't have any feedback either and just checked out as guest (their product description says that they do not do orders for buyers with zero feedback). Anyway, I ordered around 1pm and got the unlock confirmation around 6pm the same day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.