Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcar918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
I did a search but didn't see anything on the forums about this. Saw this on ebay, someone selling their Apple 10 year award. Hadn't come across this before. Anyone know if this is legit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130854481478

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks nice but that auction has a reserve on it, I wonder how high that is set. I suspect the seller may have it set pretty high since these seem to be a bit rare

pcar918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
It appears to be the same one as in the other link above ^^^ I would imagine it is real, thats cool though. Never knew about it before. Wonder what the reserve is set to. I would think knowing Apple, probably not cheap.

pcar918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
@Squilly, I did too. What did they say? Did you make them an offer? I don't want it, just curious what the reserve was.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
@Squilly, I did too. What did they say? Did you make them an offer? I don't want it, just curious what the reserve was.

They didn't respond back yet. Would look good with my current Apple collection though. :)
Strand of hair from Tim Cook is next lol
Edit: I placed a bid of $150 for it. The reserve price still wasn't met. I don't know how much the seller wants but that price is steep....

Last edited:

pcar918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
They didn't respond back yet. Would look good with my current Apple collection though. :)
Strand of hair from Tim Cook is next lol
Edit: I placed a bid of $150 for it. The reserve price still wasn't met. I don't know how much the seller wants but that price is steep....

The seller emailed me back. Didn't tell me the reserve, but said that he thinks Apple spend $2300 to make it. I don't know if I believe that or not, but knowing Apple, it could be true. I don't think it is worth $2300 for someone to own, but I doubt they are selling it for that much either. Wonder what the reserve is. I asked, but he didn't say. At least we know it is not $150, lol.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
The seller emailed me back. Didn't tell me the reserve, but said that he thinks Apple spend $2300 to make it. I don't know if I believe that or not, but knowing Apple, it could be true. I don't think it is worth $2300 for someone to own, but I doubt they are selling it for that much either. Wonder what the reserve is. I asked, but he didn't say. At least we know it is not $150, lol.

Yeah, emailed me back with $2300 too. Seriously doubt it. It's just crystal...

pcar918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, emailed me back with $2300 too. Seriously doubt it. It's just crystal...

I created a new ebay account to see if I could figure out the reserve price. I bid it up to $999 and it still hasn't hit the reserve. I didn't want to go higher as I suspect that I would eventually have hit it, but felt confident knowing that the seller said Apple pays $2300 that it probably wasn't any of the ones I tried. Anyway, it is at least set at $1000 or more. Not sure, but not willing to find out either, lol.

----------

I created a new ebay account to see if I could figure out the reserve price. I bid it up to $999 and it still hasn't hit the reserve. I didn't want to go higher as I suspect that I would eventually have hit it, but felt confident knowing that the seller said Apple pays $2300 that it probably wasn't any of the ones I tried. Anyway, it is at least set at $1000 or more. Not sure, but not willing to find out either, lol.

Crazy part is someone else bid that high too. Probably trying to do the same thing, figure out what the reserve is.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012

----------

Crazy part is someone else bid that high too. Probably trying to do the same thing, figure out what the reserve is.

Kind of messed up, don't you think?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Not really. I mean its not gonna sell unless someone keeps bidding up to the reserve price. So what difference does it make?

Because even if it doesn't meet the reserve, the seller can still choose to sell it to the highest bidder… and if that's you, it's contractual. :rolleyes:

And if you're non-paying they'll just pull your IP and ban all your accounts.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Not really. I mean its not gonna sell unless someone keeps bidding up to the reserve price. So what difference does it make?

You created an account just to bid to see how high it goes. Stupid. Let's be an adult and not do childish things.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Because even if it doesn't meet the reserve, the seller can still choose to sell it to the highest bidder… and if that's you, it's contractual. :rolleyes:

And if you're non-paying they'll just pull your IP and ban all your accounts.

No, it's just an unpaid-item marked on your account. If it happens too much, then yes, they close your account.

pcar918

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2013
No big deal. Just failing to live up to the agreement you accepted. That's nothing, right?

I get your points. But it's a reserve auction. Reserve is not met. Which means that I'm under no obligation to purchase. Nevertheless. It's probably not gonna sell unless there is someone out there who really collects Apple stuff and wants this. I mean I don't know what it's worth. But you never know if someone else would really want this. Guess we will see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.