Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Exactly how are you intending to use your Pascal code? Are you wanting to write Mac programs?
Or is this just within a "platform-free" closed environment? That image you posted looks like an ancient DOS-based Pascal program. What sort of programs are you intending to write?

Pascal is a fairly dead language these days. While parts of the original Mac OS were written in Pascal, this is all gone, and there are only a few quirks that remain from its legacy.

However, a quick Google for "Mac Pascal" reveals several free implementations.

You might be better served learning a language like Objective-C, Python, Ruby or even Unix shell-scripting, which are more useful for creating useful code on modern computer systems. (I say this as someone who learnt Pascal at University.)

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
i would like to use pascal under mountain lion.in windows i used a program who looked like this.
http://progopedia.com/static/upload_img/2009/12/07/tp7.png

Aaahh. Turbo Pascal on Dos. Those were the days! Long time gone though.

As already said, Pascal is more or less dead now. So if you want to program "useful" things there are better choices of program language. Of course, if you want to rerun som old programs or simply dust off some old knowledge it can be a good choice.

// gunnar

green.apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
i need pascal for school.i need to run it ,so i can learn something.it's not a programming language of my choice.i'd go for python or c instead,but it isn't my choice.i need to use pascal.there's any way? i searched and readed a lot.
i don't wanna convert from c code to pascal or other things..

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Since you claim you already tried fpc have you tried GNU pascal?

Also how exactly did Lazarus/fpc not do the job for you? http://whathaveyoutried.com

Since it's needed for school, what is the school working on? Are they seriously working Turbo Pascal in DOS? (IIRC larswik's course was using a TPC book with some pascal under linux).

If they have it working under linux set up a VM and use what they have.

B

green.apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
yes,we're using windows xp.for that.this is programming basics.that's teaching in school.i want to be able to do my homework,and study aswell.i have a apple laptop,can't install windows on it(or linux for that matter)i want to run it in mountain lion.. don't wanna get complicated with virtual machine or something...a simple program like, hello program,it dosen't work.
something like this:
begin
writeln ('hello');
end.
this is the simplest program i know and dosen't work...
i installed xcode,lazarus,fpc,fpc docs,etc...tryed evan code:blocks...still ain't working.

certsoft

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
John Day, OR
I've run Borland Pascal 7 using a program called "Boxer" in the past for updates to an old (turn of the century) product.

Pascal is not useless, it's more advanced version Object Pascal is the basis of Delphi which many people use all over the world.

When I got a new MacbookPro earlier this year I installed Lazarus on it and it worked fine (as long as don't mind bloated executables). I've never tried just using FPC by itself. I have some Delphi programs that are console programs (so simple stuff like hello world will work) but I've never tried to make a console program under Lazarus.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
i would like to use pascal under mountain lion.in windows i used a program who looked like this.
http://progopedia.com/static/upload_img/2009/12/07/tp7.png
i tryed lazarus(installed xcode,fpc ,fpc sources) and still dosen't work propertly for me.what should i use?or,how do i make it work? or what other similar programs are for pascal?
i'm using mountain lion 10.8.2.
You are not taking Pascal to learn programming. You are taking Pascal for a grade on your transcript. This being the case, you need a compiler at home on which you can complete your homework. If you are running Turbo Pascal on your Windows computer at school, then you need to run Turbo Pascal from the MS-DOS command line on either a Windows computer or virtual environment.

Here is the problem. There were published Pascal standards. However, few of the popular Pascal compilers complied with them. Turbo Pascal was among the least standards-compliant compilers extant. If your teacher is using Turbo Pascal, then you can bet that he/she expects your assignments to be completed in Turbo Pascal. He/She has to grade your work as well as the work of every other student in your class. If the teacher is willing to grade submitted assignments that have been coded for each student's choice of compiler, then more power to him/her. Somehow, I don't think that this is the case.

green.apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
no,it's not the case.i need same compiler with that.why wouldn't lazarus do the trick?

kaydell.leavitt

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Gnu Pascal Should Work From the Mac's Command-Line

I'm using Gnu Pascal from the Mac OS X command-line. You can edit files with your favorite Mac text editor (such as TextWrangler).

You can google for "Gnu Pascal Download". It will run under Mac OS X without doing something weird that makes you run Windows under Mac.

And you can google for "Text Wrangler Download"

Both Gnu Pascal and Text Wrangler are totally free.

Pascal isn't a bad first language to learn. That's what it was designed for was to teach student's how to program. But, yeah, for serious programming of a Mac, Objective-C is the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.