Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlestephen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the Mountain Lion Mail App.

I just added two of my emails to the app. Unfortunately, both email accounts have thousands of email from past years. Whenever I add these email accounts to the app, it will start syncing from the beginning.

I found that very annoying as I don't really read those old emails. Is there an option that I can set so that the Mail app will only "sync" emails that are 1 week or 1 month old? (just like the iPhone one)

Thank-you so much!!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
As far as I know,no you can't.
Do you need those old messages, if not you could go to the email web mail and delete them from there, that is if you want that.

littlestephen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
As far as I know,no you can't.
Do you need those old messages, if not you could go to the email web mail and delete them from there, that is if you want that.

Thanks for your reply, I need some of the mails but I guess it is time for me to do some "clean up" for the ones I really don't need. Thanks again!:D

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
In Gmail's Webmail Settings, under Forwarding and POP/IMAP there is a toggle for "enable mail that arrives from now on" or something similar to that.

----Oops, that is for POP only apparently. Although you can use filtering.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
In Gmail (in the web interface) you can limit how many messages are synced. I think the minimum is 500 but I'm not sure. Plus remember that only the headers and subject/sender are downloaded. The rest of the email is downloaded when you open the message to read.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.