Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anti_

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
S. California
I currently have my 30+GB iTunes library on my external hard drive, however I am constantly updating my library i.e. adding new music, deleting artists I no longer listen to, etc. How can I update my backup without just rewriting the massive folder over and over again? Thanks MR!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I currently have my 30+GB iTunes library on my external hard drive, however I am constantly updating my library i.e. adding new music, deleting artists I no longer listen to, etc. How can I update my backup without just rewriting the massive folder over and over again? Thanks MR!
If you're using Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner for backups, it doesn't re-write all your data; only the data that has changed since the last backup.

anti_

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
S. California
If you're using Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner for backups, it doesn't re-write all your data; only the data that has changed since the last backup.

I've used neither. I've searched the forums and web for an answer and it seems the online Mac-user consensus is Time Machine (if I'm willing to backup my entire HD) or Carbon Copy Cloner (if I'm willing to fork over $30.)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've used neither. I've searched the forums and web for an answer and it seems the online Mac-user consensus is Time Machine (if I'm willing to backup my entire HD) or Carbon Copy Cloner (if I'm willing to fork over $30.)
As for CCC, you can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8).

Also, you don't have to back up your entire drive if you don't want to. You can exclude folders from your backup procedure.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Use Time Machine. Apple's built-in incremental backup strategy. Get an external, select it for use with TM, and off you go.

TM will make a copy of your entire drive, and then every hour will add only those files that have changed. The cool bit is that it presents each snapshot to you as all your files, not just the ones that have changed. It does this by using "aliases" to the unchanged files. The TM app can then show you every version of every file that it has, and you can flick through "time" in a very natty interface.

It's free; it's automatic; it does exactly what you want. It will backup all your files, so you need never worry about whether a file in backed up, and you won't need to do manual archives.:eek:

Most System files are read-only, so they are only copied once. You will see lots of threads here of people saying "I accidentally deleted my Mail app: do I have to reinstall the OS?". With TM, you just restore the app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.