Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Its so difficult to add an iPad mini to ATT mobile share. I cant do it on the website or even over the phone. I dont understand why its so hard for them to take my money. Why make it difficult for me to spend $230 bucks a month on their service. Is anyone else having trouble syncing their mini or 4 to their mobile share account?

HDJulie

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 13, 2008
Little Rock, AR
Mine won't get here until next week. Why can't they add it over the phone? It's just a tablet. I've got Mobile Share, too, so I'll be in the situation to add it as well.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
It was so difficult for me, I just gave up. Thought I would try again in a few months when ATT employees have more experience.

When I need cell data on my iPad now I just use my iPhone as a wifi hotspot, I don't use that much cellular on my iPad, so I am thinking about doing it this way all the time. When I need to use cellular data on my iPad I am usually on a trip in the car and I can have my iPhone charging in the car while being used as a hotspot.

eric18

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It took me over an hour on the phone for them to finally successfully activate it for me. Apparently, they need to activate it for you on the phone, give you a phone number for the iPad Mini, and you have to call another number to accept the terms with the phone number they give you for your new iPad Mini.

Finally added it to my MobileShare afterwards but there definitely needs to be an easier method.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
It took me over an hour on the phone for them to finally successfully activate it for me. Apparently, they need to activate it for you on the phone, give you a phone number for the iPad Mini, and you have to call another number to accept the terms with the phone number they give you for your new iPad Mini.

Finally added it to my MobileShare afterwards but there definitely needs to be an easier method.

Thats interesting they told me they couldnt do it for me because the office they needed to get in contact with yesterday was closed. I called them around 1pm.

Last edited:

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Its so difficult to add an iPad mini to ATT mobile share. I cant do it on the website or even over the phone. I dont understand why its so hard for them to take my money. Why make it difficult for me to spend $230 bucks a month on their service. Is anyone else having trouble syncing their mini or 4 to their mobile share account?

Because AT&T and their Customer service are inept and useless. The totally screwed up my new iPhone order, and it took another 5 days to cancel and get my cell number back, which they had lost.

I had the same deal when the postpaid ipad data plans came out, where it took call after call, to finally get the new service connected. They're as useless as comcast.

I often hear they're as good as Verizon in x area. However, wait until you have some sort of issue and need to call Customer Service, you will get nowhere. It's no surprise that they are ranked dead last for CS.

eric18

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Thats interesting they told me they couldnt do it for me because the office they needed to get in contact with yesterday was closed. I called them around 1pm.

The number I called was 1-800-331-0500. After they helped me set everything up, they gave me a "phone number" for the iPad Mini and had me call 1-866-895-1099 to activate it. Hope this helps!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
The number I called was 1-800-331-0500. After they helped me set everything up, they gave me a "phone number" for the iPad Mini and had me call 1-866-895-1099 to activate it. Hope this helps!

Thanks for this. :D

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I just called, told them what I wanted to do, took about 5 minutes, lady had me do the IVR while she was on the line, then bam, active. Total time\effort, 20 minutes.

Not sure what the big deal is. I asked why some people seem to be complaining, and she said if you have to call back\delay activation most of the time it's because someone's credit isn't sufficient to just add the line, so it has to queue into secondary review which means being transferred around or call back request.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I wonder how difficult it will be for them to switch my account from my iPad 1 3G to the Mini? Maybe, I should cut my micro-sim and put it in the Mini? Lol!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I just called, told them what I wanted to do, took about 5 minutes, lady had me do the IVR while she was on the line, then bam, active. Total time\effort, 20 minutes.

Not sure what the big deal is. I asked why some people seem to be complaining, and she said if you have to call back\delay activation most of the time it's because someone's credit isn't sufficient to just add the line, so it has to queue into secondary review which means being transferred around or call back request.

Thats BS Ive never missed a payment ever. I have 0 credit card debt. Ive had ATT for years. In fact I had my other iPad on ATT mobile share before I bought the mini. Shes making excuses for ATTs bad service...and I have the highest plan they currently offer. What kind of company responds to endless claims of bad customer service and the worst customer service of any company on record ever....by saying its the customers fault?

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Thats BS Ive never missed a payment ever. I have 0 credit card debt. Ive had ATT for years. In fact I had my other iPad on ATT mobile share before I bought the mini. Shes making excuses for ATTs bad service...and I have the highest plan they currently offer. What kind of company responds to endless claims of bad customer service and the worst customer service of any company on record ever....by saying its the customers fault?

You're making such an issue out of nothing. Obviously I went through adding 2 with no issue, so something is awry with your account or device or the method in which you attempted to activate.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
You're making such an issue out of nothing. Obviously I went through adding 2 with no issue, so something is awry with your account or device or the method in which you attempted to activate.

Im not making an issue out of anything that wasn't an issue for me. It was easy for you but hard for me. Im glad you were able to get good service where I wasnt. Thank you fir rubbing my nose in it....while offering nothing in terms of an actionable solution. :p

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I went to an AT&T corporate store when I needed to activate an iPad on my Mobile Share. It took about 10 minutes to complete.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Took 10 minutes to activate my new Mini on AT&T. The longest part was when they transferred me to another automated line to verify the adding of the line.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
Ill go to the store tomorrow. They treated me so badly the last time I went to the store that I sent ATT a letter and they discounted my service for the month. Those people are ruff.

garciausmc

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2013
Just activated mine.

I'm sure you have already activated yours but like myself, other people may search google and find this page and it might help them. It's real easy to get the iPad Mini activated. This is what you do:
Locate the IMEI number and ICCID number on the iPad Mini.
To do this, do the following steps:
1. Tap Settings.
2. Tap General.
3. Tap About.
4. The 2 numbers should be at the bottom.
You will need these numbers when you call to add a line.
To add the line you need to call this number:
(866) 662-4548
Tell them you want to add an iPad mini to your account.
They will ask you all sorts of questions but in the end you will have an iPad Mini on your account. Took me about 20 minutes from start to finish.
After they add the line to your account they will give you a phone number for the line. Write that down, you will need it later when you activate the line. They will transfer you to the activation line and follow the prompts. In less than 20 minutes you should have your iPad Mini activated and ready for use.
I hope this helps someone because it took me forever to figure out how to do it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.