Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
You can't make a blanket statement like this. If 70% of the US get good TMobile coverage, then why is it so terrible in the Northeast? CT barely has HSPA. Boston is a spotty mess.

Boston is a spotty mess?!? I work on State St. and live in Waltham and have no problems at all.... When you get past 495 things get shaky but I'm fine in the Boston area.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Boston is a spotty mess?!? I work on State St. and live in Waltham and have no problems at all.... When you get past 495 things get shaky but I'm fine in the Boston area.

I live in Brookline. Take the Green Line down Beacon St or drive down. It will go in and out of HSPA and drop down to EDGE. LTE is just as bad. So much for a "completed city." Parts of the Fenway barely have working TMobile service (4G.)

Get on 128 and then 95N. HSPA goes in and out all up the highway. Phone mostly camps on the stronger EDGE signal. Same if you go south too. The map says that 95 should be covered with HSPA/LTE, but it clearly isn't.

Not to mention, good luck trying to get your phone to work inside. It almost instantly drops to EDGE when I go into most buildings. Even Sprint doesn't have the issue.

TMobile can't touch the cell grid density of AT&T and VZW in Boston.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I live in Brookline. Take the Green Line down Beacon St or drive down. It will go in and out of HSPA and drop down to EDGE. LTE is just as bad. So much for a "completed city." Parts of the Fenway barely have working TMobile service (4G.)

Get on 128 and then 95N. HSPA goes in and out all up the highway. Phone mostly camps on the stronger EDGE signal. Same if you go south too. The map says that 95 should be covered with HSPA/LTE, but it clearly isn't.

Not to mention, good luck trying to get your phone to work inside. It almost instantly drops to EDGE when I go into most buildings. Even Sprint doesn't have the issue.

TMobile can't touch the cell grid density of AT&T and VZW in Boston.

AutoUnion who HATES T-Mobile with a passion use T-Mobile?

I thought you are with AT&T or Verizon since everytime you get, you always bash T-Mobile.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Screen-Shot-2014-01-08-at-20.51.21.png

T-Mobile added 4.4 net customers in 2013.

I have a feeling that T-Mobile will add EVEN MORE net customers in 2014. Paying the ETF that allow people to switch to T-Mobile is a genius move.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

T-Mobile added 4.4 net customers in 2013.

I have a feeling that T-Mobile will add EVEN MORE net customers in 2014. Paying the ETF that allow people to switch to T-Mobile is a genius move.

I did this….switched 3 lines over to T-Mobile. I submitted my last AT&T bill with almost $800 in ETF. So lets see just how long it takes for them to procures this whole thing! BTW i submitted the final bill online thinking it would be faster. Has anyone else done this? Has anyone gotten the reimbursement yet?

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
and then AT&T fire back. As consumers, gotta love the price war. When carriers compete, consumers win.

$130 for 2 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)
$145 for 3 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)
$160 for 4 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)
$175 for 5 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)

The price of the phone is separate. (bring your own phone, finance it or pay it upfront).

Look like AT&T is serious about ditching subsidies.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
The only way they can offer there deals is because nobody buys from them

Or because (for example) text messages are marked up around 7000% of their actual cost and the service providers have been screwing us for years while also becoming increasingly greedy.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
and then AT&T fire back. As consumers, gotta love the price war. When carriers compete, consumers win.

$130 for 2 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)
$145 for 3 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)
$160 for 4 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)
$175 for 5 lines (unlimited talk, unlimited text, 10GB shared data)

The price of the phone is separate. (bring your own phone, finance it or pay it upfront).

Look like AT&T is serious about ditching subsidies.

I would like to see Verizon lower my monthly bill as now I am not on any contract on any of the four lines with unlimited data.

Right now I'll live with the price difference as we are data consumers and there is no throttling.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
As of today I have cancelled and ported over my number from AT&T to T-Mobile. I can't handle AT&Ts extra slow data speeds. I get between 5-10Mbps on my 4S on T-mobile just at my house. 3G on T-Mobile is fully active in my area. On my Nexus 4, I get 17-21Mbps.

One thing to note, iMessage will not work on T-Mobile since they are an unsupported carrier. If you have a plan with unlimited messages, that shouldn't matter.
The deal in the OP is indeed unlimited text right? And that is to anybody? I pay 100 bucks on att for just 1 iPhone and 1 cheap flip phone with no texting plan at all. I have been with att for years but thinking real hard on making the switch over.

----------

You get what you pay for. Mediocre service in major cities and zero service (GPRS/EDGE) once you're out of the city. There's a reason why people are still leaving them in droves.
Wait so gps isn't supported with them hardly anywhere? Wow

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Wait so gps isn't supported with them hardly anywhere? Wow

What?

You can use Google Maps on GPRS, but the route re-calculations will take longer. I think GMaps buffers maps in a certain radius when high speed connections are available. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't been in an AT&T EDGE area in years. It's all LTE around here now.

Apple Trees

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2013
What?

You can use Google Maps on GPRS, but the route re-calculations will take longer. I think GMaps buffers maps in a certain radius when high speed connections are available. I'm not 100% sure because I haven't been in an AT&T EDGE area in years. It's all LTE around here now.

Yeah it's possible to use it on EDGE and GPRS but it's an exercise in frustration. My girlfriend has T-mobile and we recently drove through an EDGE area and she needed to change directions, after about 5 minutes trying to get the new route to load I just hung up my phone call and let her use my Verizon iPhone hotspot.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
I was on the T-Mobile family plan for almost 6 months, and while the price is great, customer service is great, the actual service is just ok. Too much switching of LTE to 4G in the same spot killing my battery, loss of signal even though i have 3-4 bars, and not having any of these issues on AT&T prepaid, I made the switch back as of today.

Now with the $130 for 10GB to line deal, it works out even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.