Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Wow-wow-wow. Lets be clear one more time.

When we say "upgrade" lets means one installs the new OS on top and NO NEED to re-install any App AND all previous settings and preferences are preserved,

and NOT upgrade = a cheaper OS offering, but let see you if u qualify by noting the presence of a previous OS on the HD.

Eh?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I use both and would choose a Mac every time (almost)

I have both a MacBook Pro and a Windows PC. I've run every flavour of Windows and on the Mac everything from System 6 through to the latest OS X. They both have their merits and their problems so you have to ask yourself what you will spend the majority of your time doing.

If it's playing games, developing Windows software, or spending all of your time in apps like Visio then stick with the PC, or at least Windows. As you are using a laptop I guess you are doing general 'stuff' - office, internet, music, photos etc. Both platforms do all of this but in their own way and a lot of the time personal preference comes into it.

I for one prefer the 'walled garden' of Apple. I don't find it restricting, I like that I'm not having to support my own IT after spending a day working in IT. iCloud does a lot of stuff that just works behind the scenes when you have multiple devices. Applications are easy to find, buy, install and update. Expose and multiple desktops is extremely useful when working on a laptop. And finally the build quality of Macs is generally very high. Yes there are some issues, but for the most part it's better to have something purpose built rather than a box of bits.

Things I don't like about Apple.

OS X isn't as good at browsing file shares on NAS appliances or file servers - the initial connection to the share can be a bit slow. It just feels more fluid under Windows - if anybody knows something I'm doing wrong here feel free to point me in the right direction.

There is a limited choice of desktop options, and future laptop models look like they will only have glossy displays. I like matt displays and I want a tower computer that is not Xeon based.

Windows is better for keyboard shortcuts. There's no OS X equivalent of Windows Key + E to open a new finder window for example

Overall I'd say OS X is more reliable than Windows, or more correctly Windows apps crash more, Windows itself isn't too bad. I recently built a new Windows PC for running VMware because Apple don't make a tower PC and £1500-2000 for a refurbed 2010 Mac Pro is not realistic. However if Apple did make the hardware I want I'd ditch the PC and buy a new Mac today.

In your position if you want a good solid laptop for every day stuff look at the 13" Macbook Air, or if you are doing more photo or resource intensive work go for the Retina Macbook Pro. I would put off buying anything though until the new products are announced in June. Assuming they are announced in June.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Windows is better for keyboard shortcuts. There's no OS X equivalent of Windows Key + E to open a new finder window for example

Command-N in Finder. Use it every day.

OP: I'd say go for it. I use and support both, and at the end of the day Mac wins for me. In fact, I've even switched a few of my clients' offices from Windows to Mac — mostly because they use ancient Windows software that doesn't work on Windows 7. It has been MUCH easier to virtualize XP for this software on a Mac than to muck around with Windows. I really look at Windows as a "child OS" — it needs help with basic things like copying files and not breaking itself. OS X can take care of itself without user intervention.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I have both a MacBook Pro and a Windows PC. I've run every flavour of Windows and on the Mac everything from System 6 through to the latest OS X. They both have their merits and their problems so you have to ask yourself what you will spend the majority of your time doing.

If it's playing games, developing Windows software, or spending all of your time in apps like Visio then stick with the PC, or at least Windows. As you are using a laptop I guess you are doing general 'stuff' - office, internet, music, photos etc. Both platforms do all of this but in their own way and a lot of the time personal preference comes into it.

I for one prefer the 'walled garden' of Apple. I don't find it restricting, I like that I'm not having to support my own IT after spending a day working in IT. iCloud does a lot of stuff that just works behind the scenes when you have multiple devices. Applications are easy to find, buy, install and update. Expose and multiple desktops is extremely useful when working on a laptop. And finally the build quality of Macs is generally very high. Yes there are some issues, but for the most part it's better to have something purpose built rather than a box of bits.

Things I don't like about Apple.

OS X isn't as good at browsing file shares on NAS appliances or file servers - the initial connection to the share can be a bit slow. It just feels more fluid under Windows - if anybody knows something I'm doing wrong here feel free to point me in the right direction.

There is a limited choice of desktop options, and future laptop models look like they will only have glossy displays. I like matt displays and I want a tower computer that is not Xeon based.

Overall I'd say OS X is more reliable than Windows, or more correctly Windows apps crash more, Windows itself isn't too bad. I recently built a new Windows PC for running VMware because Apple don't make a tower PC and £1500-2000 for a refurbed 2010 Mac Pro is not realistic. However if Apple did make the hardware I want I'd ditch the PC and buy a new Mac today.

In your position if you want a good solid laptop for every day stuff look at the 13" Macbook Air, or if you are doing more photo or resource intensive work go for the Retina Macbook Pro. I would put off buying anything though until the new products are announced in June. Assuming they are announced in June.

have you tried command-n?

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Wow, this thread has gone way off topic. Windows 7 and OS X are both fine operating systems. I personally think they are fairly equal in user friendly with Windows having the edge on apps made for it.

To the OP, yes a MBA would be a good choice of laptop.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
OP - For me I initially tried a Mac because I was a Windows expert and never spent a great deal of time on OS X. So I like to say, if you've used Windows for a while, try a Mac for a bit. Spread your wings, try a new experience. It's like traveling, it opens your eyes.

I personally like Mac's better now. They feel nicer but it's just a preference, both platforms perform just as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.