Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I'm very curious as if to ask if ST now has visual vm. Last time I was checking my voice mail I noticed the recording came on and I have not gotten that recording ever since I had AT&T and it even allowed me to set my own recording.

On the other hand I have not gotten a voicemail, but wanted to ask if anyone else is getting the recording screen for visual voicemail?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357998741.429609.jpg

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I'm very curious as if to ask if ST now has visual vm. Last time I was checking my voice mail I noticed the recording came on and I have not gotten that recording ever since I had AT&T and it even allowed me to set my own recording.

On the other hand I have not gotten a voicemail, but wanted to ask if anyone else is getting the recording screen for visual voicemail?
View attachment 389743

Have someone send you a voicemail to check.........???

ST does officially carry the iPhone now... but the official version is CDMA. So maybe they gave all of their customer access to their visual voicemail APN... dunno if that's possible though. I would think they would need to set it up on their HSPA+ side as well...

Here is my post about the differences in iPhones on Straight Talk:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16645756/

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Or maybe new APN settings will take place, to include the visual v. Mail APN right.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
The APN settings will be different on the official straight talk iPhone versus the bring your own phone program. The BYOP program still will not support visual voicemail.

What has likely happened is that some settings got fudged up (automatically - Apple doing you a favor) and your phone now thinks its using AT&T's service. Visual voicemail's menu will appear but it will not work (can't save a greeting, no messages will be displayed).

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
Yes it might think is on AT&T. And he you are right, I don't think I'm able to receive visual voicemail, but don't understand why the official iPhone would support Visual Vm and not an unlocked one, when all these settings could be changed in the Cellular Data Network provided that they are accessible.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
You CANNOT change the APN settings (with the exception of the data APN, using a configuration profile made with the Configurator or IPhone configuration utility), even on an unlocked iPhone when using a straight talk SIM.

The iPhone automatically recognizes the ST SIM as an AT&T SIM and automatically applies the AT&T settings, which do not work and locks out the "Cellular Data Network" menu.

Visual Voicemail will not and will never be supported on the Bring Your Own Phone program. AT&T would have to provide support for it to ST prepaid customers and that is not going to happen.

Zombie728

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2014
Straighttalk vs. Visual Voice Mail

Here is a transcript of my chat with Straighttalk:
Jeff: Can you please help me get visual voice mail working on my brand new iPhone 5c that I just bought from Straighttalk?
Prescott: Hi Jeff. Thank you for visiting Straight Talk Wireless.
Jeff: Thanks
Prescott: You are welcome.
Prescott: Let me look into this matter.
Prescott: We want you to know that we do not support visual voicemail.
Jeff: Oh
Prescott: One moment please...
Prescott: Thank you for chatting with Straight Talk Wireless. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-877-430-2355. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.
Jeff: No problem... my next chat will be with the California Public Utilities Commission
Prescott: We consider your comments and we always welcome the opinions you expressed regarding our service.
Prescott: Thank you for chatting with Straight Talk Wireless.
Jeff: or lack thereof
Prescott: Be assured that we are doing our best to provide you the best service possible and we are continually working on improving and expanding our products and services.
Jeff: whatever
Prescott has exited the session.
You are the only user left in the session.
Chat Entry

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
For what it's worth , YouMail is a good alternative on straight talk. It has the required conditional call fowarding YouMail needs.

Att gophone supports stock visual voicemail out of the box, which is interesting.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Here is a transcript of my chat with Straighttalk:
Jeff: Can you please help me get visual voice mail working on my brand new iPhone 5c that I just bought from Straighttalk?
Prescott: Hi Jeff. Thank you for visiting Straight Talk Wireless.
Jeff: Thanks
Prescott: You are welcome.
Prescott: Let me look into this matter.
Prescott: We want you to know that we do not support visual voicemail.
Jeff: Oh
Prescott: One moment please...
Prescott: Thank you for chatting with Straight Talk Wireless. If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-877-430-2355. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.
Jeff: No problem... my next chat will be with the California Public Utilities Commission
Prescott: We consider your comments and we always welcome the opinions you expressed regarding our service.
Jeff: or lack thereof
Prescott: Be assured that we are doing our best to provide you the best service possible and we are continually working on improving and expanding our products and services.
Jeff: whatever
Prescott has exited the session.
You are the only user left in the session.
Chat Entry

Uh yeah, good luck with that. They're not mandated by law to provide you with VVM.

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2014
Earth
One thing I would like everyone to understand is that you can never listen to a ST/Net10 Employee, they simply read things off of a manual 100% of the time.

I bet that have "alternative answers" section on it as well lol.....

They have the following issues 100%:
- They never listen to what you are saying
- They always just pick the first 2-3 words of the sentence and try to move ahead with performing that action while ignoring what you are saying in complete.
- They make you repeat your self 100 times
- They are not at fault, its the company that does a poor job at training them and providing them with the resources and proper knowledge about handling customer issues/concerns.

Jack Tripper

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
My ST Walmart iPhone 5 had visual voicemail until today. I am on iOS 6, which has given me no problems until now after I experimented with a new SIM card. Has anyone else lose their visual voicemail, and any suggestions on how I can get it back?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.