Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouisLeLou

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
This isn't really about gaming, but I thought this would be the best place to ask.

I just bought a Steelseries Sensei mouse, which I think is really nice so far and honestly quite a pleasant experience after using a Mighty Mouse for so long, but I don't know how to get a "neutral" mouse sensitivity setting in Mac OS.

I use Windows 7 under Bootcamp for gaming purposes, and have the sensitivity there set to neutral (6/11 in the pointer sensitivity options in control panel), so that I know when I change my actual mouse DPI to 1600, I'm getting 1600 DPI.

However, I don't know how to achieve this same neutral setting in Mac OS (10.6.8); if I use the same mouse DPI setting under Windows and Mac OS, the speed is noticeably different.
I've searched for answers using that google site thing, but mostly find solutions to solving mouse acceleration, which I've already dealt with and am not that bothered about as I don't really intend to use the mouse for any gaming outside of Windows, I'd just like the sensitivity to be consistent when I switch operating system!

Could anyone help me out?

Cheers.

Naio

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2015
I would recommend against using SmoothMouse. It's a hack that can introduce many issues and the developers are no longer active.

If you have the ability to set sensitivity (DPI) on your mouse and you want to disable mouse acceleration, enter the following string in Terminal and restart:

Code:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

You will no longer be able use System Preferences to change mouse sensitivity, so you'll have to change the DPI on the mouse through software.

I set the DPI on my SteelSeries Sensei RAW on a Windows PC many years ago through SteelSeries software and because all settings are also stored on the mouse itself, I don't have to have their software running on my Mac.

I hope this was hopeful.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
Lol - the irony when the best app out there for disabling OS X mouse acceleration is made by SteelSeries - and not mentioned or apparently known about in a SteelSeries thread.

Use SteelSeries Exact Mouse Tool -

http://steelseries.com/support/downloads

Easy one click on and off for mouse acceleration. I see you mention this isn't about gaming per say, but I can easily play as well on OS X now as I could on Windows.

G34R

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
I would recommend against using SmoothMouse. It's a hack that can introduce many issues and the developers are no longer active.

If you have the ability to set sensitivity (DPI) on your mouse and you want to disable mouse acceleration, enter the following string in Terminal and restart:

Code:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1

You will no longer be able use System Preferences to change mouse sensitivity, so you'll have to change the DPI on the mouse through software.

I set the DPI on my SteelSeries Sensei RAW on a Windows PC many years ago through SteelSeries software and because all settings are also stored on the mouse itself, I don't have to have their software running on my Mac.

I hope this was hopeful.
How to undo? Help!

G34R

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
Code:
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling 1

The code above should work. Note that it's "1" instead of "-1".
Thanks, I have a problem (below) though.

Last edited:

G34R

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2015
I use the code but I can still change sensitivity, but I can change the mouse sensitivity... when I change it however, mouse accel comes back. Also, the minimum sensitivity makes no mouse accel no matter what. This seems odd, but is it correct?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.