Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:47 PM   #176
phr0ze
macrumors 6502

two weeks for me and no nicks or scratches on naked iphone 5 black.

But I take care of it. I'm certain tho, it will eventually happen. I wish apple made the bumper again.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:08 PM   #177
MacBreezy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icealicy View Post
Mind if I ask you when you got your first iPhone?

I received mine on launch day and I went to the apple store yesterday and they told me that it had been two weeks and I could not swap mine out due to the fact that I should have came earlier... I am furious about this...
I got mine on launch day also. That doesn't make any sense. It sounds like an employee is mis informed. If I were you I would call Apple customer service. Or go back to the Apple store and speak to a manager.
MacBreezy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:10 PM   #178
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816

Hey people,

So I'm going to sell my iphone4 and keep AT&T. Is the iphone 5 worth $199 or should I just get a brand new iphone 4 for $0?

I have no use for Siri or a better camera.
DoNoHarm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 06:16 PM   #179
greytmom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNoHarm View Post
Hey people,

So I'm going to sell my iphone4 and keep AT&T. Is the iphone 5 worth $199 or should I just get a brand new iphone 4 for $0?

I have no use for Siri or a better camera.
Why are you selling your iPhone 4 if you would just buy another? Why not keep the one you have and stay off contract and unlocked?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:55 PM   #180
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMike View Post
Threw an iCarbons skin on back and sides since day one and forgot about it
So, I'd you've gotta cover it up with a case, why did Apple bother to make such a great finished phone? Might as well be make out of plastic.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:05 PM   #181
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
So, I'd you've gotta cover it up with a case, why did Apple bother to make such a great finished phone? Might as well be make out of plastic.
Don't have to, its just preference. I like the carbon look. Same with 4S.

Some expect too much.
OneMike is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 09:21 PM   #182
wpc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachnelson View Post
Let me rephrase what I meant by nicks.

The part where its slanted, it's wearing down or something. Silver is showing in bright lines in the edges. Not something than can be caused by a drop or scraping it. It's like the coloring is wearing off.. that's why I thought it was my hands.

----------

Also I don't have a camera in my house right now. My sister has her iPad at school, and the only other camera I know of is my phone. I'll have to post pictures later.
I've had mine in a case, only occasionally taking it out. In the same area you mention, I've got a couple small 'nicks' that show bright silver, not wearing. Got mine on launch day. Bit annoyed, but what can you do. It's unfortunate if some of these early phones have a defect with them and they sort it all out with later batches. If that's the case, Apple are unlikely to admit it. I guess it's unrealistic to expect a phone to remain flawless - so I'll deal with it. Rant over.
wpc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:34 AM   #183
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
Ok let's think about this...you who are reading a policy, or me who has actually cashed in on AppleCare+ two times for cosmetic damage. Basically as long as it is not normal wear and tear and damage from a drop/mishandle, they will replace it. In other words, it does NOT have to be broken.
If the coating can be shown to be defective the yes youre right. I dont think most will be so lucky as you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phpmaven View Post
I assume you are referring to the alleged email from an Apple executive. That wasn't an official statement from Apple and isn't even confirmed to have come from who it was proported to have come from.

The vast majority of people are having no issues with the anodizing, including myself. It's an issue with some phones, but not some widespread problem.
Your comments are no more official or accurate.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 07:57 AM   #184
Quu
macrumors 65816

Got mine on launch day. No nicks in mine or my wifes yet.
Quu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:06 AM   #185
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytmom View Post
Why are you selling your iPhone 4 if you would just buy another? Why not keep the one you have and stay off contract and unlocked?
Agreed.

Besides that it would actually be a downgrade to go to a new iPhone 4 from the one you already have. The iPhone 4 was originally sold in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB configurations. The one that is being sold now for $0 with a contract is only 8GB. After iOS eats up a good portion of that there is not much left over for apps and stuff.

If you want to stay with the iPhone 4 then keep the one you have and enjoy it along with not being tied to a 2 year contract.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:49 PM   #186
JRL1611
macrumors newbie

iPhone 5 nicks

The cause of the nicks is obvious, if my observations are correct: The earlier iPhones use a stainless steel trim band, while the 5 uses aluminum. The former is almost indestructable in normal use, while the latter is much too soft for its purpose.
JRL1611 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:54 PM   #187
gazzamac
macrumors member

My black Iphone 32gb bought on launch day now has 3 shiny marks only on the chamfered edge already even though I've taken great care with it and you know what ? I bought a black Ipad mini on launch day and exactly the same thing has happened on that too.

Its such a shame. I love my apple tech and give it the care and respect the high purchase price commands and yet its starting to look tatty after just a few weeks....

Bad, Bad, design......

Last edited by gazzamac; Nov 21, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
gazzamac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:31 PM   #188
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
I think a lot of you are confusing a phone for a Faberge Egg.
Thank you for giving me something to Wikipedia at work.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:21 AM   #189
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
I think a lot of you are confusing a phone for a Faberge Egg.
I guess it's in some way Apples own fault .

From Apple Press Info:

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device..:"

"Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish."
Nale72 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:02 PM   #190
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
I guess it's in some way Apples own fault .

From Apple Press Info:

“iPhone 5 is the most beautiful consumer device that we’ve ever created,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “We’ve packed an amazing amount of innovation and advanced technology into a thin and light, jewel-like device..:"

"Designed with an unprecedented level of precision, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish."
Jewel-like. IE NOT a jewel.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:42 PM   #191
Kenjhee
macrumors regular

Here's another idea, someone else thought of and I'm starting to believe...the chamfered edge is not anodized after all, but is painted. The slate back is definitely anodized, but they used a different finish on the diamond-cut bevel for a shinier effect. I have a tiny nick in the chamfer of my i5, and I examined it with a jeweler's loop. It really looks like paint to me, not anodization. Paint would certainly explain the incidence of blemishes we're seeing, being less rugged than anodizing (paint is a coating, anodizing is a surface modification). Some are reporting seeing paint chips after dinging their phone's edge, which is hard to believe unless it actually is paint.

I wish there was some way we could contact Apple and simply ask them (assuming we coould get someone who knew what they were talking about).
Kenjhee is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:53 PM   #192
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjhee View Post
Here's another idea, someone else thought of and I'm starting to believe...the chamfered edge is not anodized after all, but is painted. The slate back is definitely anodized, but they used a different finish on the diamond-cut bevel for a shinier effect. I have a tiny nick in the chamfer of my i5, and I examined it with a jeweler's loop. It really looks like paint to me, not anodization. Paint would certainly explain the incidence of blemishes we're seeing, being less rugged than anodizing (paint is a coating, anodizing is a surface modification). Some are reporting seeing paint chips after dinging their phone's edge, which is hard to believe unless it actually is paint.

I wish there was some way we could contact Apple and simply ask them (assuming we coould get someone who knew what they were talking about).
I agree. The chamfered edge can be easily chipped and turned into silver just by knocking it very softly on the table (it slipped from my hand to the table from a 3-inches distance, guess what, the chamfered edge now has a 6mm silvery 'scar' on it)
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:44 AM   #193
That70sGAdawg
macrumors 6502

Location: North Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
I exchanged my black 5 for a white one yesterday after nicks appeared while in a case most of the time for 6 days...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone