Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Does your iPhone 5 have light leak problem??
YES 15 20.00%
NO 60 80.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:37 AM   #26
Bishwasher
macrumors regular

My white 32gb iPhone 5 has no leak issues.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:07 PM   #27
iWeldonJ
macrumors member

iphone white leak

I bought my iPhone 16gig on launch day and I did notice the light leak at night when i would use my iPhone at night in my dark room. Really distracting, so I took it in and they replaced it.

The new iPhone still has a light leak, it's much less noticable though and you have to look for it. I haven't noticed it, but if I look for it I will find it. I doubt it'll get better, and I'm happy with the iPhone so I don't see myself taking it back for that.
iWeldonJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:50 PM   #28
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

It's not a leak, it's from the light vent. The new LED screen produces such a high quality image, that in the process extra lumens are produced, and hence trapped in the structural substrate of the screen. The only solution was to create an escape path, or vent if you will, for them to escape. It's normal.

Last edited by Rocko1; Oct 22, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
Rocko1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:54 PM   #29
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
It's not a leak, it's from the light vent. The new LED screen produces such a high quality image, that in the process extra lumens are produced, and hence trapped in the structural substrate of the screen. The only solution was to create an escape path, or ven tif you will, for them to escape. It's normal.
........You sir get the bs prize of the day.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:58 PM   #30
cababah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
........You sir get the bs prize of the day.
Steve jobs answer:

You aren't supposed to have max brightness in a dark room; that's stupid. Stop doing that.
cababah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:02 PM   #31
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
The issues that presented themselves were addressed. Now they are just ignored.
Yeah because slapping a case on a phone with a barely functional antenna and telling you you're holding it wrong is totally addressing it. This QC fiasco is nothing compared to Antennagate.
mKTank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:10 PM   #32
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mKTank View Post
Yeah because slapping a case on a phone with a barely functional antenna and telling you you're holding it wrong is totally addressing it. This QC fiasco is nothing compared to Antennagate.
I'm going to have to disagree. They fixed antennagate. The whole QC thing can't be fixed. They have simply said that with time the cases will get all scratched up. Time apparently being a couple days according to some people on this forum.
VandyChem2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:09 PM   #33
Rocko1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree. They fixed antennagate. The whole QC thing can't be fixed. They have simply said that with time the cases will get all scratched up. Time apparently being a couple days according to some people on this forum.
Time being from the time it takes factory worker to install a screen.
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:16 PM   #34
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Negative. All iPhone 4's on AT&T had this issue and continued having it after Apple's proposed solution. Adding a case doesn't make the antenna less defective.

And how can't QC be fixed exactly? Apple just imposed stricter guidelines for improved QC and it's already showing. iPhones week 39+ have been way better if not perfect.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:29 PM   #35
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Negative. All iPhone 4's on AT&T had this issue and continued having it after Apple's proposed solution. Adding a case doesn't make the antenna less defective.

And how can't QC be fixed exactly? Apple just imposed stricter guidelines for improved QC and it's already showing. iPhones week 39+ have been way better if not perfect.
They fixed it by first releasing the new design iPhone 4, which initially was only for verizon, but later was re-released for ATT. This effectively fixed the issue with holding the phone "wrong". The 4s further fixed the issue. There will always be complaints about Apple's QC so this issue will never be resolved. They have simply swept all the QC issues under the rug by saying that it's completley normal for your phone to have X wrong with it from the beginning. Actually come to think of it I don't really see there being a real answer to any of these issue. People will always complain about QC as well as signal strength. I must say however, I have never put my phone in a case and have never had a dropped call and I hold my phone the "wrong" way.

Last edited by VandyChem2009; Oct 22, 2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:10 PM   #36
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They fixed it by first releasing the new design iPhone 4, which initially was only for verizon, but later was re-released for ATT. This effectively fixed the issue with holding the phone "wrong". The 4s further fixed the issue. There will always be complaints about Apple's QC so this issue will never be resolved. They have simply swept all the QC issues under the rug by saying that it's completley normal for your phone to have X wrong with it from the beginning. Actually come to think of it I don't really see there being a real answer to any of these issue. People will always complain about QC as well as signal strength. I must say however, I have never put my phone in a case and have never had a dropped call and I hold my phone the "wrong" way.
Lol they "fixed" it almost a year later. It's nice that you're not experiencing any issues but it remains a fact that the antenna is pure garbage in the AT&T iPhone 4, which by the way remained garbage after Verizon iPhone 4 came out. Only the Verizon iPhone 4 has a redesigned antenna. So well after the vast majority of people wanting an iPhone 4 already bought one.

Also Apple never said it's normal to have dings and scratches out of the box. Stop making stuff up.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:22 PM   #37
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Lol they "fixed" it almost a year later. It's nice that you're not experiencing any issues but it remains a fact that the antenna is pure garbage in the AT&T iPhone 4, which by the way remained garbage after Verizon iPhone 4 came out. Only the Verizon iPhone 4 has a redesigned antenna. So well after the vast majority of people wanting an iPhone 4 already bought one.

Also Apple never said it's normal to have dings and scratches out of the box. Stop making stuff up.
They did say that aluminum will tarnish over time. Don't recall saying they said that dings and scratches out of the box.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:59 PM   #38
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They did say that aluminum will tarnish over time. Don't recall saying they said that dings and scratches out of the box.
Hmmm if I get dust in my screen it's going straight in.
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:21 AM   #39
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That's not an issue of quality control, but of user negligence. You want a plastic heap, go buy a 3G. Aluminum has its downfalls.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:35 AM   #40
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
That's not an issue of quality control, but of user negligence. You want a plastic heap, go buy a 3G. Aluminum has its downfalls.
I call it a case of Apple caring more about how lite their phone is then how happy their customers are going to be with their product. While it's true that people will complain regardless of what the phone is made out of, it is a bit negligent on Apple's part to make a phone out of a metal that if looked at wrong will scratch and tarnish.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:37 AM   #41
cababah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
Hmmm if I get dust in my screen it's going straight in.
Dust particle size>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> photon size
cababah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:45 AM   #42
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I call it a case of Apple caring more about how lite their phone is then how happy their customers are going to be with their product. While it's true that people will complain regardless of what the phone is made out of, it is a bit negligent on Apple's part to make a phone out of a metal that if looked at wrong will scratch and tarnish.
Well come on it's not THAT bad. I've had my phone naked from day one and there's nothing on it so far. It's a bit more scratchy than previous iPhones, but it's also the most waterproof, the lightest, and the most durable. It doesn't just shatter when dropped like previous iPhones. I'll happily take a scratched-back phone over a shattered, water damaged one. Wouldn't you?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:49 AM   #43
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:
Well come on it's not THAT bad. I've had my phone naked from day one and there's nothing on it so far. It's a bit more scratchy than previous iPhones, but it's also the most waterproof, the lightest, and the most durable. It doesn't just shatter when dropped like previous iPhones. I'll happily take a scratched-back phone over a shattered, water damaged one. Wouldn't you?
Granted if I used my iPhone naked I would much rather have a scratched back plate over a shattered back glass piece. However, I always have my iPhone in a case so what the phone is made out of doesn't really effect me. The only thing I care about is that the screen is sealed correctly so I don't have pieces of dust appearing under my screen. Granted I think this would be a warranty issue so I would be able to get a new one. In the end cosmetic things don't realy bug me but this light leak issue is both cosmetic issue as well as a real manufacturing issue.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:10 AM   #44
mKTank
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Granted if I used my iPhone naked I would much rather have a scratched back plate over a shattered back glass piece. However, I always have my iPhone in a case so what the phone is made out of doesn't really effect me. The only thing I care about is that the screen is sealed correctly so I don't have pieces of dust appearing under my screen. Granted I think this would be a warranty issue so I would be able to get a new one. In the end cosmetic things don't realy bug me but this light leak issue is both cosmetic issue as well as a real manufacturing issue.
Well they supposedly raised the QC standards recently. People with week 39+ phones have reported that they're perfect. Mostly.

They're getting there.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:58 PM   #45
kellte2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well they supposedly raised the QC standards recently. People with week 39+ phones have reported that they're perfect. Mostly.

They're getting there.
This light leak is going to be prevalent on all devices screen. It really is luck of the draw on how the phone is assembled considering the placement of backplate for the screen is likely to be the cause.

For example, my last phone with a broken power button had a gap on the top of the screen between the aluminum and the display, but no light leak. My current phone has no visible gap, but a tiny, tiny bit of light leak in a pitch black room with brightness on 100%. The solution is simple: stop looking for problems. You'll likely have a real problem soon enough.
kellte2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:00 PM   #46
iEnvy
macrumors 6502a

Is this going to kill you...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 09:28 AM   #47
calvingsc
macrumors newbie

Did anyone buy a white iphone 5 recently?

Does it still suffer from light leak issue?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:40 AM   #48
TheDLade
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvingsc View Post
Did anyone buy a white iphone 5 recently?

Does it still suffer from light leak issue?
I did, I got a week 39 white, had a wifi issue, no light leak

Got a replacement week 37, more solid build quality, no rattling and no light leak, some parts on the chamfered edges are discoloured though, but its perfect otherwise
TheDLade is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone