Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:51 AM   #1
CrossHairSB
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
|||Can I prevent someone from texting or calling me on the iphone?|||

I know on Verizon you can but don't see any setting for At&t to pinpoint and block a particular number, just thought I'd ask you all. thx Ken
CrossHairSB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:38 AM   #2
sparkyms
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southampton UK
you might be able to call customer services and get them to block a nuisance caller.
sparkyms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:48 AM   #3
Draddy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossHairSB View Post
I know on Verizon you can but don't see any setting for At&t to pinpoint and block a particular number, just thought I'd ask you all. thx Ken
That was an option on my last AT&T phone, but I can't find anything on the iPhone that does that.... another thing apple forgot.
Draddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:48 AM   #4
aross99
macrumors 68000
 
aross99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East Lansing, MI
As far as I know, there is no way to block texting except to drop it all together. I called AT&T on this, when one of my daughter's "friends" was sending 50+ messages per day, and wouldn't stop. She wasn't sure who it was.

I was surprised to find out that there is really no way to stop this - AT&T said all they could do is disable it all together, which was not an acceptable solution.

I ended up calling the number that was texting her, and asked them to please STOP. My daughter was mortified, but it seemed to work.
aross99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 09:53 AM   #5
wrboyce
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 View Post
As far as I know, there is no way to block texting except to drop it all together. I called AT&T on this, when one of my daughter's "friends" was sending 50+ messages per day, and wouldn't stop. She wasn't sure who it was.

I was surprised to find out that there is really no way to stop this - AT&T said all they could do is disable it all together, which was not an acceptable solution.

I ended up calling the number that was texting her, and asked them to please STOP. My daughter was mortified, but it seemed to work.
Ahaha, Super-Dad... Awesome :-)

It is possible, but it has to be supported on the network's side.. I'd tell you more, but that's all I know :x.
__________________
Regards, Will Boyce
u: http://willboyce.com
wrboyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Flhusky
macrumors 6502a
 
Flhusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
It was or is very possible. Cingular back awhile offered 'Parental Controls' that could do what your wanting.
Here is da linky:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...art-limits.jsp
Flhusky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:23 AM   #7
TBi
macrumors 68030
 
TBi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ireland
Talking about receiving these prank calls/txts.
I'd love if you could had an option where when someone called you you could send them to an automated message which said:

"All following calls to this number will be charged at 10 dollars per minute payable to the recipient. Press # to continue this call."

That would stop the bugger quite quickly and/or make it profitable to receive the calls. Much better than the "do not call list" idea. You'd want them to call you, and for as long as possible.

You could have a similar idea for txt's where the person is sent a message informing them that all messages sent to you will be charged at 10 dollars per txt.

To make it worth while for the telecom companies i'd say let them take 50% of the charge. 5 dollars for me to receive the annoying call and 5 dollars for you to put the scheme in place.
__________________
<BLANK>
TBi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:36 AM   #8
wrboyce
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flhusky View Post
It was or is very possible. Cingular back awhile offered 'Parental Controls' that could do what your wanting.
Here is da linky:
http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...art-limits.jsp
Those are some nice features; don't think anyone in the UK offers an equivalent.
__________________
Regards, Will Boyce
u: http://willboyce.com
wrboyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 01:12 PM   #9
macbookhamburg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
if blocking doesn“t work another solution would be just making a silence as a ringtone so at least you won“t get disturbed by the caller anymore exept for the vibrating... i know this not the perfect solution but i think better than nothing
macbookhamburg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 02:54 PM   #10
cupofjoe
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookhamburg View Post
if blocking doesn“t work another solution would be just making a silence as a ringtone so at least you won“t get disturbed by the caller anymore exept for the vibrating... i know this not the perfect solution but i think better than nothing
...That's not even a solution. That's just turning the other cheek, which is unacceptable.
__________________
Proud owner and supporter of:
iPhone 3G (16 GB)
Macbook (2.16 GHz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, Leopard/Vista Bootcamp)
cupofjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:11 PM   #11
DuRui
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Search and destroy!!

seriously though..even my Samsung D828 supports blocking a certain number...just in it's menu settings...
DuRui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:39 AM   #12
adamcpennington
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Smile #7726- No more text spam

I had someone texting me incessantly that would not stop. I called At&t customer service. They said forward the text to '7726'. On the iPhone hit edit, select the message then hit forward. It will text back and ask for the phone number it came from. Voilą No more text spam
adamcpennington is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABBYY TextGrabber - grab texts and translate them on the go! iAlisa iPhone and iPod touch Apps 2 Oct 20, 2011 10:56 AM
What happens if you get a phone call or a text while doing something on the iphone? gacxx iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Oct 11, 2008 12:20 AM
How Can I Prevent Someone From Copying The Webdesign? redAPPLE Web Design and Development 15 Jun 4, 2008 08:27 PM
Bad call quality on the iPhone, returned 2 of them. MacnMuzyk iPhone 14 Feb 25, 2008 09:54 PM
Can anyone sell me on the iPhone fwtong iPhone 19 Sep 13, 2007 11:58 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC