macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by LachlanH View Post
Just to reiterate some useful information posted earlier in this thread:

i3 - Hyperthreading
i5 - Turbo Boost
i7 - Hyperthreading + Turbo Boost.

Hyperthreading = 2 virtual core's per physical core. (So 4 core i3 and i7's can run 8 threads)

Turbo Boost = The ability for the CPU to boost One or more core's above the CPU's base frequency. So It might be 2.6ghz on all core's but if only a single thread is running it can boost 1 core upto say 3.2ghz to complete that thread quicker.
Not true. Turbo Boost is available in most (if not all) modern i-Series architectures across all three lines: i3, i5, and i7. Also available in all but the earliest Nehalem-based i-Series processors, Hyper threading has been standard on multiple Intel CPU levels (except the Pentium/Celeron brands) for several years now. This is how my i5 MBA has two physical cores, but has four logical ones according to the OS and an older i3 desktop is dual core but has 4 logical cores usable by OS X.

Last edited by Senseotech; Feb 27, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Senseotech is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:39 AM   #77
960design
macrumors 6502

Descent enough question: just make sure you are not using a keyboard cover on your mac; it sucks in air through the keyboard and make sure you are not sitting it in your lap on a pillow blocking the exit vent along the lower back edge.

To answer your question: running loops will damage your computer significantly less than the seconds changing on a digital watch.

Last edited by 960design; Feb 28, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
960design is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:55 AM   #78
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

PLEASE people, let this thread die the death it deserves.
TheRealDamager is offline   3
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:48 PM   #79
LachlanH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
Not true. Turbo Boost is available in most (if not all) modern i-Series architectures across all three lines: i3, i5, and i7. Also available in all but the earliest Nehalem-based i-Series processors, Hyper threading has been standard on multiple Intel CPU levels (except the Pentium/Celeron brands) for several years now. This is how my i5 MBA has two physical cores, but has four logical ones according to the OS and an older i3 desktop is dual core but has 4 logical cores usable by OS X.

Care to give examples of any intel i3 cpu with Turbo Boost?
Likewise, can you give any examples of an i5 cpu with Hyperthreading?

Unless you can, then what exactly is it that was not true about what I said?

Yes Hyperthreading has been around since the P4 days. We are talking modern CPU's here.
LachlanH is offline   1
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:53 PM   #80
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:

Yes Hyperthreading has been around since the P4 days. We are talking modern CPU's here.
hyperthreading and turbo-boost exists on the mobile i5s but not the desktop versions
dukebound85 is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:00 PM   #81
LachlanH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
hyperthreading and turbo-boost exists on the mobile i5s but not the desktop versions

Ahhh, it appears you are right, the mobile i5's do indeed have HT enabled.

I stand corrected.
Now this thread can die
LachlanH is offline   1
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:01 PM   #82
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Care to do any actual research for yourself?

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/64903/
Mobile i5's have hyperthreading

And I was in fact mistaken about the i3 turbo boost situation, but the underlying power states for boosting or throttling the clock speed are still there, just not the full turbo boost spec.
Senseotech is offline   0
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:02 PM   #83
kulimer
Banned

I ran the same code, 2 instances of parallel simulation on iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB memory.

This may not suit all audience. You may use this performance benmark with against the other two posted on page 2 and page 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-27 at 5.50.09 PM.png
Views:	7
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	399726  
kulimer is offline   1
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:12 PM   #84
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulimer View Post
I ran the same code, 2 instances of parallel simulation on iMac 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB memory.

This may not suit all audience. You may use this performance benmark with against the other two posted on page 2 and page 3.
No you can't use it as a benchmark. Just showing how taxing the process is on the CPU has no bearing on the actual performance of the process. Nor does running a CPU a full power, as the processes do on a MBA, damage it. Sure, a MBA may be less than ideal for the work you're doing, but don't try to say its because its damaging the machine, thats just asinine.
Senseotech is offline   1
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:17 PM   #85
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No, it's not, which part of it do you find funny?
Your apparent complete lack of knowledge about computers, despite apparently running complex matlab simulations.

I find that funny.
NutsNGum is offline   2
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:34 PM   #86
kulimer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDamager View Post
PLEASE people, let this thread die the death it deserves.
If you don't like what is talked or discussed here, you may leave and move on to another thread like an adult.
kulimer is offline   2
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:01 PM   #87
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

It's not that I like or don't like it. It's that there is nothing concrete being discussed - the topics you bring up veer from "using up" computers to which processor is running a matlab simulation. Your questions have been answered over and over, and yet you repeatedly come back with another pointless question or thread direction. This forum is for support of the Macbook Air - if you are wondering about mathematics simulation, I'm sure there is a forum out there that can address that.

Last edited by maflynn; Mar 1, 2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Removed name calling
TheRealDamager is offline   2
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:18 PM   #88
kulimer
Banned

Ok, I agree, you win, now please move on to another thread!
kulimer is offline   1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:48 AM   #89
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:

Did you rate up your own post?

You just measured that two processes which each use 100% of a single thread use exactly 50% of four CPUs. We could have guessed that

It's like comparing the speed of two cars. And you say "if I drive at the legal speed limit, I drive at the legal speed limit. And if I drive at top speed, I drive at top speed. So how fast is your car? "
gnasher729 is offline   0
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:31 AM   #90
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDamager View Post
It's not that I like or don't like it. It's that there is nothing concrete being discussed
Then don't come here. Don't click on the title. Don't read posts on this thread.
Nobody is making you read this.
Insofar as it won't die, seems some people - for whatever reason - ARE interested and want to keep it going. Morbid curiosity perhaps, or like a cat playing with its prey, it's not up to you to decide whether others should or should not continue participating in a thread they find interesting or amusing.
ctdonath is offline   1
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:29 PM   #91
TheRealDamager
macrumors 65816

Seriously man, catch up on your meds. You're very hostile.
TheRealDamager is offline   2
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:04 PM   #92
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

As the thread starter said,
Quote:
If you don't like what is talked or discussed here, you may leave and move on to another thread like an adult.
and
Quote:
Ok, I agree, you win, now please move on to another thread!
yet you persist in coming here, telling people who DO like what is talked about and discussed that they should cease & desist from doing so, insult them, and resort to ad-hominem attacks when they suggest you follow your own advice and exit the thread.

If you were MR staff or the thread starter, you'd have standing to object.
As you're not, kindly butt out of someplace you don't want to be and we do, leaving us to participate in a conversation we want to have and you don't.

Quit projecting. The "Back" button is in the upper left corner of this window's frame, and "Log Out" is in the upper right part of this page. You know where the door is.
ctdonath is offline   1

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland