Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
Machine is 3 months old .... Keeps losing Internet connection ... Spoke apple care .... Now gotta take it in to store!! Pain in the butt. Anyone else had this problem???

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
It's what the apple care guy thought..... The wifi bit ( top right) is grey and alternates between looking for wifi to wifi on. This isn't the first time this has happened.... Last time AppleCare talked through a load of stuff and seemed ok. Hadn't used pc for three days... When it came out of sleep mode it couldn't connect to the internet.... Wifi router is fine as its fine on a windows pc and this iPad and iPhone.
An thoughts would be appreciated

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
It's what the apple care guy thought..... The wifi bit ( top right) is grey and alternates between looking for wifi to wifi on. This isn't the first time this has happened.... Last time AppleCare talked through a load of stuff and seemed ok. Hadn't used pc for three days... When it came out of sleep mode it couldn't connect to the internet.... Wifi router is fine as its fine on a windows pc and this iPad and iPhone.
An thoughts would be appreciated

I suppose it could be a faulty wifi card, though unlikely. Try resetting SMC/PRAM and removing the connection from WiFi preferences.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I...
Wifi router is fine as its fine on a windows pc and this iPad and iPhone.
I presume the iPad's WiFi was tested near the Mac? Not knowing where everything is in your house, this just eliminates interference from something as an issue.

If the WiFi base is operating fine with the items you mentioned connecting to it, then it most likely is an issue with the hardware in your Mac.

I suppose it could be a faulty wifi card, though unlikely.
Why unlikely? Especially since other devices are working fine. Hardware issues do happen. The machine is less than 3 months old and it has happened before.

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
Tried one last time and reset everything - it works!!!!! Changed wifi connection to ethernet connection......wifi is fine with all devices!!!

spoke to apple care again - now reckon it was interference with other devices in house - i.e..... two wireless home phones, ipad, lap top etc etc

moved a few things about and it seems to be ok.....keep my fingers crossed!!! LOL

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
What's your router? Cheapo routers have caused me serious headaches. Hence I invested in the Airport Extreme and I haven't had a single dropout since I purchased it.

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
British telecom supply it..... Had it a few years e- wire...... If it carries on I will get on to them to upgrade it...... But so far so good....... Been about 8 hours!!! Lol

bmcgrath

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
London, United Kingdom
Mate BT routers are woeful! They claimed to supply me with their 'latest and greatest' when I had infinity installed in my old place. The drop outs were hideous.

Same when I changed to Hyperoptics and they supplied their standard. Terrible.

Replaced with the Apple AE and I'm never looking back. Until AC arrives anyway :)

mikeqls

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
bromley, kent , uk
Must admit I've done a bit of research and come to the same conclusion!!! Still at the moment - it's still working - so I stick with it.....if it aint broke - dont fix it motto!!!! ........I think in time Though i will change it.

Thanks for your input
Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.