Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old May 15, 2013, 05:08 PM   #76
Arfdog
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woyzeck View Post
At least for print you'd want to have a screen with wider color gamut. Even though the new iMac's displays are better than the previous ones the display is still only above average. There's a reason why those Eizos and NECs are expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woyzeck View Post
With such a screen it's impossible to do anything related to web design, print etc. (which the iMac is not engineered to do).

For office work it'll be ok. For the price of the machine it's a joke.
So you're comparing a $2500 complete PC to a $2500 monitor? Then saying the price of the PC is a joke? I guess apple is supposed to fit a $2500 display into a $2500 PC.
Arfdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:28 PM   #77
mpro62
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpro62 View Post
Here's mine (50% and 100% brightness on my 27 inch late 2012). What do you guys think?. I have until today to call for exchange. I used this youtube video to test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WexJRnud32U. Used my 4S to take photos.

Attachment 412334

Attachment 412335.

I'm still confused on whether I should call Apple and demand an exchange. Will they insist that I bring the computer to the nearest Apple store?. I would rather prefer that they send me a new one with the same specs and I decide which one should go back. Btw, this is a BTO one.

Please reply.
mpro62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #78
jmhart
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpro62 View Post
I'm still confused on whether I should call Apple and demand an exchange. Will they insist that I bring the computer to the nearest Apple store?. I would rather prefer that they send me a new one with the same specs and I decide which one should go back. Btw, this is a BTO one.

Please reply.
I can't see any actual 'bleed' in those photos, only the light corners which is normal for the LG panel used in the current gen iMac.
jmhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 05:52 PM   #79
Woyzeck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
So you're comparing a $2500 complete PC to a $2500 monitor? Then saying the price of the PC is a joke? I guess apple is supposed to fit a $2500 display into a $2500 PC.
No, I just said that the iMac is not engineered to be a computer for graphics design, but it has an above average display.
Woyzeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013, 01:45 AM   #80
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfdog View Post
I guess you just looked up the price of a CG275w. His statement was correct. It wasn't engineered for that market. It's a somewhat generic product aimed at a very wide range as opposed to a specialized one. Eizo's US pricing is also somewhat high compared to what they charge in Europe or the UK. NEC has a very nice 27" around $950 online at this point. It started out with a list of around $1700 in 2010, but you could find it down to $1400 or so at that time. They do engineer these things with markets like graphic design in mind. The backlight bleeding is usually minimal and better dispersed. NEC and Eizo use what seems to be panel blocking for the dispersed portion. They compress whatever range can't be corrected to get a very uniform display. Your shadows and highlights may not be quite as bright, but it's not a big deal. Graphic design requires around 300:1-450:1. Beyond that it's actually more difficult to control than you might realize. The displays you mentioned are also optimized to work well at 80-120cd/m2 brightness levels. I've never had good luck with Apple's displays at that range. I suspect Apple's target is more like 75% max brightness.

I like that Apple has been working on their glare treatments, but they're aimed at a very wide market. The guys that are frustrated exchanging display after display just need to realize these things aren't engineered with them in mind. Either they'll get lucky eventually or they won't, but it doesn't mean Apple would consider every one of these returned units to be off spec. A lot of graphic designers would be fine with a Mini maxed out on ram and possibly an ssd combined with an NEC PA271w or something like that. Mini $800, ram upgrade $100, display $1000, keyboard and whatever mouse $100. It's approximate, but it would be a good setup around $2k for a graphic designer. You might budget $200 for an ssd as well. If you were doing a lot of ad finishing work, you might want more ram. Having 100+ photoshop layers in one app with Indesign open in the background soaks up a lot of ram. If you have to do any real sketching, you need a graphics tablet either way. Mice are horrendous for painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
I can't see any actual 'bleed' in those photos, only the light corners which is normal for the LG panel used in the current gen iMac.
Almost every desktop sized panel on the market is an LG, including those in very expensive displays. They are what is available. Apple could probably do a better job on implementation.

Last edited by thekev; May 16, 2013 at 01:55 AM.
thekev is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac