Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:22 PM   #1
sam2428
macrumors regular

Microsoft Office Performance with Crossover

Hi all, I have been searching here and on Google but have not found the information I am looking for.

I have a copy of the windows version of Microsoft Office 2007 and was planning on installing it on my new 13" rMBP via Crossover as an alternative to using parallels. Questions I have before doing so:

1. How does Office perform through Crossover?

2. How would the software look on the retina screen? I.E. does it look bad/blurry as I doubt it is optimized for the higher resolution screen?

3. Would all functions of the software perform as it would in Windows? Such as Excel plug-ins, etc. Also, how does the installation of plug ins work?

Crossover sounds like a better option to me because I will not be using any other windows software and I would save a decent amount of space on the SSD (please correct me if this is not true).

Thanks!
sam2428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
sam2428
macrumors regular

500+ views and no comments.... Anyone have any experience with Crossover?
sam2428 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2428 View Post
Hi all, I have been searching here and on Google but have not found the information I am looking for.

I have a copy of the windows version of Microsoft Office 2007 and was planning on installing it on my new 13" rMBP via Crossover as an alternative to using parallels. Questions I have before doing so:

1. How does Office perform through Crossover?

2. How would the software look on the retina screen? I.E. does it look bad/blurry as I doubt it is optimized for the higher resolution screen?

3. Would all functions of the software perform as it would in Windows? Such as Excel plug-ins, etc. Also, how does the installation of plug ins work?

Crossover sounds like a better option to me because I will not be using any other windows software and I would save a decent amount of space on the SSD (please correct me if this is not true).

Thanks!
I doubt many have used crossover to run office. According to the crossover site, it has a bronze rating, which means that it runs but has significant issues.

For standalone apps, even some games, crossover works fairly well, but I imagine that office is expecting a lot more to be there than crossover can do a good job with. I would have to say if you are going to need office for PC you are much better off with parallels.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store