Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:10 PM   #51
elistan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I'll stop correcting you now. You seem to desperately need to have the last word so I will let you have it. Sorry that two strangers on the internet having a back and forth was so upsetting to you.
Well thanks! This has been very entertaining.
elistan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:17 PM   #52
SMDBill
macrumors regular

Spending time concerned with the accuracy and formation of someone's words may lead to missing the very point of their enlightened statement. Some of the most intelligent people may also have poor handwriting, little classroom education, or they may even have a learning or other disability that only impacts a portion of their life.

Great leaders understand that they may learn a great deal from even the least likely sources. To condemn someone for grammatical or other errors in the mechanics of their posts demonstrates that some may just have an inferiority complex that prompts them to belittle others, or to just ignore others, based on a perception gained from text typed into a computer. I personally choose to listen, for I often learn a great deal from others.
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:42 AM   #53
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDBill View Post
Great leaders understand that they may learn a great deal from even the least likely sources. To condemn someone for grammatical or other errors in the mechanics of their posts demonstrates that some may just have an inferiority complex that prompts them to belittle others, or to just ignore others, based on a perception gained from text typed into a computer. I personally choose to listen, for I often learn a great deal from others.
This is a really good point. I completely agree.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:54 AM   #54
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzhogi View Post
Unless whoever made the bot also gave it an organic body and consciousness, I can assure you that I'm not a bot.....
but then that's what all the bots are programmed to say!
Macky-Mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:24 AM   #55
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
This is my opinion on the subject. No one's writing a thesis here, and we're not required to do a second or third draft before posting. We're being graded on the point of our arguments, not our sentence structure and correct use of grammar.

As long as the post is legible, the point is well argued, and it at least seems like the poster is trying his/her best to get said point across, I can handle the occasional bit of run on sentences, misplaced punctuation, or use of "could of" instead of "could've".

...except for ellipses. They'res no excuse for thems.
Although not required I do make various drafts before posting on this forum.

First I have to read the article, and understand all the words, and maybe idioms.
Second I have to write an answer, mostly do this in my own language.(draft 1)
Third I then translate the answer into English (draft 2) Using a spell checker.
Fourth I re-read the piece to see if it feels right, trying to check for grammar while doing so.

As I have stated before in this thread English is my fourth language, I try to make my posts as correct as possible as a common curtesy to other readers and users.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 11:44 AM   #56
SMDBill
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
As I have stated before in this thread English is my fourth language, I try to make my posts as correct as possible as a common curtesy to other readers and users.
I admire your language skills and appreciate all the effort you go through for the benefit of clarity and readability.
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:15 PM   #57
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDBill View Post
I admire your language skills and appreciate all the effort you go through for the benefit of clarity and readability.
...but I'd have words with that spellchecker. Courtesy, not curtesy.

As a matter of interest, what are your second and third languages, Happybunny?
skunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:42 PM   #58
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
...but I'd have words with that spellchecker. Courtesy, not curtesy.

As a matter of interest, what are your second and third languages, Happybunny?
Thanks for the courtesy of pointing that out, that is how one learns, from one's mistakes.

As soon as I saw the two words I could see that it was incorrect.

As to the matter of which languages I learnt, like all of my generation, it was Dutch, German, French, English only started to really gain importance in the 1970's.
But today in schools across the Netherlands, it's Dutch, English, French Spanish or Russian.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #59
senseless
macrumors 65816

I have to admit I thought "take it for granted" was "take it for granite" until I was an adult.
senseless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2013, 05:38 PM   #60
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
Although not required I do make various drafts before posting on this forum.

First I have to read the article, and understand all the words, and maybe idioms.
Second I have to write an answer, mostly do this in my own language.(draft 1)
Third I then translate the answer into English (draft 2) Using a spell checker.
Fourth I re-read the piece to see if it feels right, trying to check for grammar while doing so.
This is something we should all do, honestly. I tend to power on through my posts, get the message out there, and hit send ASAP. I'll make a few quick adjustments after the fact, but that's about the extent of any editing I'll do.

It's a terrible experience coming across an old post you've made, reading it, and realizing how horribly worded it is. You think "I should've said this instead of that, it would've made the whole thing flow so much better. But oh well, I guess I'm stuck looking like an idiot forever and ever". And as many times as it's happened to me, you'd think I would've learned my lesson by now. Type it out. Check it out. Correct. Post. Such a simple thing to do. But nooooo...

The one core tragedy of my life is that I've got all this seemingly good advice to give, but I'll never once heed any of it myself.

Quote:
Four languages. That is impressive, and is probably one of the main reasons why you come across as being so eloquent and concise.

Me? Besides English, which I hope is obviously my native tongue, all I can do is speak is a smidgen of Spanish. After all these years of being around it, I'd say I've achieved the fluency of a severely brain damaged three year old.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:23 PM   #61
samiwas
macrumors 65816

I don't mind the occasional grammatical error or obvious typo, even though they generally do grate on my nerves.

What I have a problem with is when someone who claims to be much smarter than the rest of us goes of on a tirade like this:
"Your an idiot! If their stupid enough to believe that, than there to dumb to understand the affect there policys have. It's the principal. Except it!"
When someone writes like that, and I already think their opinion is wrong, compounding it with bad grammar and spelling is only going to make it worse. I have rarely felt enlightened by someone who had no grasp of proper writing. If it's a second language, then I'll cut you some slack. But, if you're too dumb/lazy/apathetic to learn basic grammar, why should I think you've taken the time to form a valid opinion?

And if you type "ur an idiot", I won't even pay attention to your post.

* note that I didn't use the American standard with my comma and quote in the sentence above. It's because I think it's stupid, and that the British way is better. If I were writing a formal essay, though, I would use the American standard.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 12:29 PM   #62
barkmonster
macrumors 68000

No. Anyone can type fast and mis-key, not speak english as a first language etc...

People who resort to grammaer fashizm insted of having a valid response to something don't have a valid opinion in the first place because they're resorting to arrogance instead of having a point to make about what they're responding to.

(I fully expect the deliberate spelling mistakes to bait someone like that into ignoring my point and moaning about it. This will validate the point I'm making but they won't see the irony because the ego of people like that is so enormous).
Old Oct 12, 2013, 01:43 PM   #63
chown33
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I don't mind the occasional grammatical error or obvious typo, even though they generally do grate on my nerves.

What I have a problem with is when someone who claims to be much smarter than the rest of us goes of on a tirade like this:
"Your an idiot! If their stupid enough to believe that, than there to dumb to understand the affect there policys have. It's the principal. Except it!"
When someone writes like that, and I already think their opinion is wrong, compounding it with bad grammar and spelling is only going to make it worse. I have rarely felt enlightened by someone who had no grasp of proper writing. If it's a second language, then I'll cut you some slack. But, if you're too dumb/lazy/apathetic to learn basic grammar, why should I think you've taken the time to form a valid opinion?

And if you type "ur an idiot", I won't even pay attention to your post.

* note that I didn't use the American standard with my comma and quote in the sentence above. It's because I think it's stupid, and that the British way is better. If I were writing a formal essay, though, I would use the American standard.
ur an genius
chown33 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2013, 02:37 PM   #64
Gutwrench
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I sit corrected. In my defense, I was really hungry when I wrote that so...
You crack me up.
Gutwrench is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues