Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Do you get surround sound with this approach?

I tried Beamer. I don't care for surround sound right now much since I'm still on 2.1 but everything else sold me. The picture quality is amazing. Miles better than AirPlay Mirroring. My MacBook Air don't have to change resolution back and forth. Auto Subtitle. And did I tell you that the picture quality is amazing?

Bought the license immediately.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I tried Beamer. I don't care for surround sound right now much since I'm still on 2.1 but everything else sold me. The picture quality is amazing. Miles better than AirPlay Mirroring. My MacBook Air don't have to change resolution back and forth. Auto Subtitle. And did I tell you that the picture quality is amazing?

Bought the license immediately.
I bought Beamer license myself and am currently the "betatester" of 2.0 so I know what Beamer is and can.
matrix07 said:
I just played an MKV with VLC like the OP intended and AirPlay mirroring to my ATV 3. Works like a charm, and free of charge.
I was wondering, if you get surround sound using this mirroring approach?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I bought Beamer license myself and am currently the "betatester" of 2.0 so I know what Beamer is and can.I was wondering, if you get surround sound using this mirroring approach?

I don't have surround sound setup *yet*.

JeffreyR

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2014
Solution

The app you want is called Air Video for iOS. I swear by it and have absolutely no affiliation with the developer. It does on-the-fly transcoding from any Mac to iOS, and supports AirPlay. You can also queue transcodes for future playback. You just have to install their free server client on the Mac and you're good to go. I'm using a 2009 Mac Mini and it plays 1080p MKV movie files with amazing quality. You can even stream over the internet and it looks pretty good.

I just bought a new house and there's no place for the Mac Mini under our TV on the wall, so I'm looking for a solution like this myself. I found this thread through a Google search, and as I was reading it I remembered Air Video is already a working solution.

If you are taking the Mac completely out of the equation (aside from downloading the MKV files) then I think VLC might support AirPlay... but you might run into weird compatibility issues.

Air Video for iOS is what you want, trust me. Looks like there is a new version I didn't know about... I guess it wasn't a free update. hmmm...

http://www.inmethod.com/index.html;jsessionid=11AEA4DC00F40B79C6D8CD207C01FF9A

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I just played an MKV with VLC like the OP intended and AirPlay mirroring to my ATV 3. Works like a charm, and free of charge.

This thread is OLD, and not really relevant anymore as things have changed. All current Macs and iOS devices support AirPlay mirroring and you can use this to mirror VLC onto your Mac.

I don't know why you would as the quality of AirPlay Mirroring is crap... Just recontainer your movies into MP4 containers and go forward. There is really very little need to keep an MKV copy of your movies. Neither Macs nor Apple TVs support any more than 5.1 channel output so there is really very little need to have an MKV file with additional sound channel support and that's pretty much the only reason to keep your MKVs.

If you need to down convert your sound just choose the lowest settings for your video, and output your audio at whatever rate you like with 5.1 channel in handbrake, it will take about 10 minutes. Then it's just a matter of adding your sound file back to your MP4 container using something like subler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.