Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
So we had our iMac'a hard drive replaced under the replacement programme by Apple. Originally it came with Snow Leopard and we upgraded it to Lion when that was released and had left it at that

When the iMac came back I noticed it was loaded with Mountain Lion. "Cool" I thought, but then realised if we ever needed to reinstall it, we would have to pay to download it from the App Store.

Does anyone else have a similar story of getting their hard drive replaced to find their OS has been upgraded?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Was sitting next to someone at the genius bar that was getting their laptop hd replaced. Genius told him it would not have ML on it. However if he ever reinstalled he would need to purchase it. Since ML has not been credited to his apple id.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I've never had that experience, but it would sort of annoy me. If you have apps that don't work with Mountain Lion properly, like older version of Adobe CS, for example, it might make it so you can't even do your work, which is a big issue.

I'm sure that the long contract that they make you sign says something about how they're allowed to do this and you can't take action if they screw you over, but I still think that they should just give your new hard drive back to you bit-for-bit how they got it the old one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.