Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
6.3 inches is not too big. It would make the Note even better because you will have more room to write and draw. Take some card board and cut out a 6.3 inch 16:9 shape and you will see that it is still manageable. The important thing is to minimize bezel. I plan on spending more money for Note 3 accessories than I did for the Note 2 because I can see that it can replace so many regular devices. It makes things simpler.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'd probably get one just because of how awesome the Note 2 is, a 1080p 6"+ would be cool like above posted said IF it minimizes bezel, because that's pushing too big IMO.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Well i was nervous about going to 5.55" after 3.5" but the note 2 isnt to big at all, i dont think i could go back to an iphone now unless there was a 4.8"+ option which I cant see for a while if ever. BUT 6.3"??? Im not so sure about that. Its gonna be awesome tho cos the note 2 is amazing!

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Awesome! If you don't like it, don't buy it. It's funny how so many Note users (I'm one of them) say it's too big. Not only would s-pen use be better, but gps, videos, and maps would be great. Pretty soon, the Notes are going to be twice the size of the iPhone! HaHa....

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
6.3 inch! Wouldn't it be too big to use it as a phone?

If they could make the bezel really, really thin and drop the physical buttons in favour of a Nexus-style onscreen button bar, then they'd only have to make the phone fractionally bigger. You'd lose most of the extra space to the button bar, though. Still, It'd look good on the spec sheet.

However, I agree in general - the current Note 2 is just on the edge of pocket sized. Once it stops fitting in a pocket then it stops being a phone with an incredibly big screen and starts being a tablet with an undersized screen.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
I find that while it's often a bit big, most of the time the size is a huge plus point, It just reduces the number of devices I need to keep tabs on (tablet + phone).

Any bigger though and as a phone it would become really awkward, 6+ is just way too big.

It is a one stop device, a phone and a tablet in your hand, no need to handle two of them.
Ipad would have phoning feature it would have much more success!
Who still uses his phone without headset ?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It is a one stop device, a phone and a tablet in your hand, no need to handle two of them.

Uh, most people? At least just about everyone I know uses their phone without a headset far more than with one.

Regardless, if someone prefers this size device, great that there will be an option for them. I personally see it a bit in the other direction--a compromise in both the tablet and phone experience. Too small to be an exceptional tablet and too big to excel as a phone (again, my personal preference but one handed use is key).

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
My phone has to be pocketable, and at some point too big is just too big. I think 6.3" is too big. The Nexus 4 is the perfect size IMO. 4.7" display with very little bezel. With about the same screen size, they've managed to make it even smaller than the S3 which is impressive!

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I think the SIII's 4.8" is the max I can go, anything bigger to not too nice.

And seriously 6.3"? I doubt so man, think Samsung will stay in the 5" category. It's already humongous, there's no need to make it even bigger. What's the current screen resolution of the Note 2? 720p? Is there a need to make it clearer?:confused:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
It comes down to this- Samsung has the resources to make devices in all these different ranges and use the public as the real guinee pigs. They will probably eventually narrow their product line once they see what is truly selling and what is being canabilized. 6.3 is huge but I can still see people using it. It may come to a point where stand alone tablets won't sell as great as phones with 6+ inch screens.

I'm really eager to see the S4. I hope they keep that line at 5 inches or so.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I think the SIII's 4.8" is the max I can go, anything bigger to not too nice.

And seriously 6.3"? I doubt so man, think Samsung will stay in the 5" category. It's already humongous, there's no need to make it even bigger. What's the current screen resolution of the Note 2? 720p? Is there a need to make it clearer?:confused:

If you approach 6 inches, 1080p is needed to make individual pixels not visible, 720p won't cut it.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I see. Woah that's alot of pixels. Translates to an even bigger battery -.-

I've read of a Sony flagship phone coming out in the second half of next year that will have a 5 inch 1080p screen with a 3000 mAh battery so I expect Samsung to at least go to 4000 mAh since Samsung traditonally has bigger batteries than Sony. The current Galaxy Note 2 has a 3100 mAh battery and I can only see Samsung increasing the capacity. I dearly hope that Samsung knows that great battery life is one of the key reasons why the Galaxy Note 2 is so successful and that they will increase the battery life even with a bigger screen.

There are already 3rd party Galaxy Note 2 batteries with claimed capacities of 4000+ mAh so the technology already exists. It's just a matter of Samsung deciding what to put in.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K

I only use a headset for longer calls. When on the go I need it to work without a headset.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
A little suggestion for Samsung's next Galaxy Note..

Well...since there are rumors of the next Galaxy Note having a 6.3-inch screen, I thought I would just give Samsung a little suggestion. As the phone gets bigger, more and more people will complain about it being "too big" and how weird it would look to hold that thing up to your ear just to make a call. My suggestion is, why don't they do what ASUS did with their "Stylus Headset"? Make the styl...ahem...S-Pen into a "stylus headset". Then people won't be able to complain about making phone calls on this thing. Seriously, this would be a great feature...I mean, what else can they add to the S-Pen? It would still look weird holding up a "pen" to your ear but hey, I'd rather have that than something that covers a whole side of my face.

Yep.....

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I mean, what else can they add to the S-Pen? It would still look weird holding up a "pen" to your ear but hey, I'd rather have that than something that covers a whole side of my face.

So, what if you want to take notes with the pen while talking on the phone? OK, you can't do that at the moment either (unless you put the phone on speaker) but you could if you used a bluetooth headset.

Also, AFAIK the pen doesn't contain any power - I don't know whether it is capacitative (like the styli you can buy for other phones) or, like the Wacom tablets, picks up its power by induction from the phone.

I don't get the hate for holding a Note 2 up to your ear... and if it is a problem then use a bluetooth earpiece.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.