Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Can this be done and what software would play them?

1, Lg BP40NS20 is surely Mac OS X ML compatible - I use it on mine.

2, I don't recommend native BD player apps - they're pretty incapable. (There is a free plug-in for VLC but it's pretty bad IMHO.) It's the best to rip the entire BD via MakeMKV into MKV's and watch them directly via VLC, played from the SSD. Ripping only takes 20-30 minutes.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
1, Lg BP40NS20 is surely Mac OS X ML compatible - I use it on mine.

2, I don't recommend native BD player apps - they're pretty incapable. (There is a free plug-in for VLC but it's pretty bad IMHO.) It's the best to rip the entire BD via MakeMKV into MKV's and watch them directly via VLC, played from the SSD. Ripping only takes 20-30 minutes.

Cool is the drive relatively cheap?

jmerrilljr

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Blu-ray Drives

You only need a read-only drive. The faster the drive reads, the pricier it will be. The best way to use it is to rip your blu-ray disc using MakeMkv (free in beta) into an .mkv file. The software allows you to omit extras, pick audio tracks and subtitles, etc. The result is LOSSLESS.

You can play the resulting file via VLC or get a free meda center such as Plex or Xbox.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
You only need a read-only drive. The faster the drive reads, the pricier it will be. The best way to use it is to rip your blu-ray disc using MakeMkv (free in beta) into an .mkv file. The software allows you to omit extras, pick audio tracks and subtitles, etc. The result is LOSSLESS.

You can play the resulting file via VLC or get a free meda center such as Plex or Xbox.

How do I stream to my Xbox 360?

Obviously it will be different for the Apple TV.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2006
Anyone know of a good USB 3.0 drive? Is there any real gain going to 3.0? I too have a MBP Retina. I'm looking mostly to rip my DVD and BluRay collection to digital.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.