Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JTT844

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Hi,

I have an iPad 3 with both wifi and cellular capabilities. I've recently tried to setup a cell account on the unit but I guess I don't fully understand the options.

When I go settings -->Cellular Data -->view account
I see options to 1. "set up a new account" 2. "Add to existing AT&T account" and
3. "Transfer service from another iPad"

I have an AT&T wireless account for my cell phone so I selected the 2nd option.
after I enter my passcode, the field clears when I go to the next field. (Same with the SSN field)

After I hit "Next" I get a red message saying something like "Valid data needed". So I try it again and again until my account gets locked out.

After doing some more research, I'm wondering if I can even add my iPad to my current cell account. (AT&T customer service seemed to be almost as clueless as me).

So,
can I really add my iPad to my "existing AT&T account"? If so, how?

Thanks!
John

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
Go to a local AT&T store they can add it a family plan, or create one if you don't have a shared, or older family plan. But customer service (push the technical assistance option) should be able to add it if you read out the IMEI and SIM number to them under setting/general/about.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
If you want to add it to your existing AT&T account then you're talking about postpaid, month-to-month. AT&T should be able to set this up for you over the phone. They will need the IMEI and possibly the serial number and ICCID of the iPad (all can be found in Settings, General, About).

I just called them when I bought my cellular iPad 4. They had my iPad added to my AT&T account in 5 minutes.

mrmike316

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
If you want to add it to your existing AT&T account then you're talking about postpaid, month-to-month. AT&T should be able to set this up for you over the phone. They will need the IMEI and possibly the serial number and ICCID of the iPad (all can be found in Settings, General, About).

I just called them when I bought my cellular iPad 4. They had my iPad added to my AT&T account in 5 minutes.

Did they charge you a activation fee to add the ipad on your account.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Did they charge you a activation fee to add the ipad on your account.

Yes, the activation fee was included in my next bill. I have had some success having it reversed on iPhone activations, but I decided not to bother calling them this time.
On a prepaid plan (set up directly through the iPad by you) there is no activation fee.

mrmike316

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2009
Yes, the activation fee was included in my next bill. I have had some success having it reversed on iPhone activations, but I decided not to bother calling them this time.
On a prepaid plan (set up directly through the iPad by you) there is no activation fee.

Ok Thanks, one more question did they require a one or two year contract.Just trying to figure out if its better to add data through ipad or my existing att plan.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Ok Thanks, one more question did they require a one or two year contract.Just trying to figure out if its better to add data through ipad or my existing att plan.

There is no contract required, however AT&T is offering a $100 bill credit for iPads signed up with a 2 year commitment right now.

sashaki

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
Confirmation (same thing now, same Q too)

Just to update the post, it's the same situation now... new data plan, add iPad to existing account but pay activation fee, 2-year contract for $100 off.

robertbooth

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
Markham Il
you can also use it as a upgrade option if you are on the mobile share. I utilized that option when the ip5 came out. I wanted to do a early upgrade and the customer service agent aid you other line had a full upgrade. So i ran with it and now my other line can upgrade so I am glad i added my iPad to my account

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.