Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
What would be the point of a retina+ display? The whole point of a retina display is that you cant distinguish between individual pixels with the naked eye.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
What would be the point of a retina+ display? The whole point of a retina display is that you cant distinguish between individual pixels with the naked eye.

Precisely. We don't even need 720p displays, let alone Retina+ or whatever that is.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Could it be a new iPad mini? Pixel doubling is the easiest way to get a retina display, but it isn't the only way, and iPad mini already has a higher pixel density (due to the smaller size) than the iPad 2 with the same resolution, and therefore needs a smaller improvement to be retina. They already shook things up with the taller iPhone 5 screen, maybe they're ready to fragment iPads too?

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I was hoping somebody would do the math, thanks! But at 16:9, is it likely? What else could it be?

I think so. Why not?

The current ipad mini is basically just an ipad 2 - from its screen res to its SoC.

If you're going to make a retina one, why not start anew? Why not choose a res that's exactly double that of the iphone. Kinda makes sense to me.

But, who nose?

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
There was lots of talk of filing down fingertips and 40% more area going with a 4:3 screen rather than 16:9, so I don't think anybody is expecting a widescreen iPad. An iPad mini with retina display is inevitable, however. Maybe it'll be 4:3 for most apps, with the black bar at the bottom being used for soft buttons, then use the whole screen for widescreen video? Speculation is fun, but I can't wait to see what's announced next!

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I was hoping somebody would do the math, thanks! But at 16:9, is it likely? What else could it be?

I'd say no. Unless they move all the iPads to 16:9, which would be really dumb. Developers would all have to redesign their apps, and the tablet would look goofy in portrait. If they are going to retina-ize the Mini, it'll be the same resolution as the retina iPad.

maccompatible

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
They may double the resolution to make up to a 5 inch phone to compete with the Droid DNA and it's crazy pixel density.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.