Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scheersje

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Hello,

I recently bought myself the new iPhone 5, but to put all the data from the 4 to the 5 I need the latest iTunes version, I tried to install this, but I keep getting the error that I first have to update my mac software, I tried to download all the latest Max os X softwares from the internet, but none of them works. It keeps saying that I have to update it to 10.6, do I have to pay for this or can I do it for free? When I try to search for new updates it doesn't find any.. The current version is 10.5.8, someone have an idea?

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
You are gonna have to buy a copy of Snow Leopard. Apple might still sell it if you call them.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hello,

I recently bought myself the new iPhone 5, but to put all the data from the 4 to the 5 I need the latest iTunes version, I tried to install this, but I keep getting the error that I first have to update my mac software, I tried to download all the latest Max os X softwares from the internet, but none of them works. It keeps saying that I have to update it to 10.6, do I have to pay for this or can I do it for free? When I try to search for new updates it doesn't find any.. The current version is 10.5.8, someone have an idea?
You didn't mention what year and model Mac you have. It's possible your Mac may not support the latest OS X versions.

You can find the specs for your Mac, including the latest OS version supported, by visiting EveryMac.com

You can also find specs for your model by entering your serial number here.

Call Apple to order a Snow Leopard install disc ($20). Once you're running 10.6.6 or higher, you can access the Mac App Store, to download Mountain Lion (if your Mac supports it.)

Do not install pirated software from the internet, as it can contain malware.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.