Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:50 PM   #176
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoGuy18 View Post
If you're talking Social Security and Medicare, here's the problem: the Baby Boomer generation will soon be passing through retirement age. And that's going to put gigantic financial pressure on both social services I mentioned.

You of all people should know that Social Security doesn't have that big of an impact. It is mostly funded. However, you are correct in stating that Medicare is going to have a gigantic impact. People are living longer and keeping us alive is more and more expensive. Without some kind of revolution in health care, the elderly in this country are going to bankrupt it.
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:04 PM   #177
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
You of all people should know that Social Security doesn't have that big of an impact. It is mostly funded. However, you are correct in stating that Medicare is going to have a gigantic impact. People are living longer and keeping us alive is more and more expensive. Without some kind of revolution in health care, the elderly in this country are going to bankrupt it.
Social Security has a HUGE impact even if you accept that it is mostly funded. % of GDP is greater than Defense or Welfare in 2013.

Correction I was looking at total fed, state, and local governmental pensions. Social Security is only about 5% of GDP, not so huge ......

Last edited by TPadden; Jan 20, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
TPadden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:43 PM   #178
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

I think this increase has affected us all. Some organizations that my family has donated to in the past have called us already this year, and it was sad to have to tell them that we couldn't help out this year.

From what I understand more tax increases are on the way. I feel for these organizations that survive on donations, as well as feel for the people that are helped by them.
tshrimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:07 PM   #179
Ugg
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
I think this increase has affected us all. Some organizations that my family has donated to in the past have called us already this year, and it was sad to have to tell them that we couldn't help out this year.

From what I understand more tax increases are on the way. I feel for these organizations that survive on donations, as well as feel for the people that are helped by them.
What increase at you talking about? Did you donate the extra in 2012 that the govt dd not withhold? If not, I sense crocodile tears...
Ugg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 PM   #180
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg View Post
What increase at you talking about? Did you donate the extra in 2012 that the govt dd not withhold? If not, I sense crocodile tears...
You can do a search for upcoming tax increases as there are many sites on this topic. And don't care if you believe me or not.
tshrimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:19 AM   #181
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

I guess you didn't support these organizations prior to Obama lowering your SS tax rate by 2% when he enacted the stimulus in 2009.
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:32 AM   #182
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:

But not enough to actually help so you'll stick to just feeling...

I'll bet your religious too.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:51 AM   #183
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
But not enough to actually help so you'll stick to just feeling...

I'll bet your religious too.
Since a good portion of my tax money now goes to charity I see private charities as redundant no matter how more efficient. So whether it actually helps or not is no longer up to me.

I wouldn't voluntarily give more blood once the government decides I must either .......

...... I do still give to the Salvation Army even though I am forced to pay for Defense spending (before you make a bet- it's religious and I'm not).

Last edited by TPadden; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
TPadden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:59 AM   #184
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
Since a good portion of my tax money now goes to charity I see private charities as redundant no matter how more efficient. So whether it actually helps or not is no longer up to me.

I wouldn't voluntarily give more blood once the government decides I must either ........

So let me see if I follow you. You got a temporary tax reduction of 2% on your SS tax in 2009 and gave money to charity. It was extended another year in which you gave to charities. Now the temporary tax reduction expires and you can no longer give to charity and now find them to be redundant. That about right?
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:20 PM   #185
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
So let me see if I follow you. You got a temporary tax reduction of 2% on your SS tax in 2009 and gave money to charity. It was extended another year in which you gave to charities. Now the temporary tax reduction expires and you can no longer give to charity and now find them to be redundant. That about right?
Correct he's speaking out of his 4th point of contact.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:31 PM   #186
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post

I wouldn't voluntarily give more blood once the government decides I must either .......

...... I do still give to the Salvation Army even though I am forced to pay for Defense spending (before you make a bet- it's religious and I'm not).
The first has nothing to do with the second
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:35 PM   #187
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
Nope, couldn't be more wrong.

I quit giving to charities other that SA, about 4 years ago . I never mentioned deductions or tax reduction. I more or less tied it to food stamps.

----------

Quote:
Sure it does if you consider give-away programs funded by taxes a charity (as they are).

----------

Quote:
Nevermind ..... you missed the intended pun on Salvation Army and Defense spending and I missed that fact !
TPadden is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues