Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I would like know how the camera plays out versus some of the 16 megapixel cameras in the market today. Anyone with experience on this? Currently we are using a 12 megapixel camera and the pictures come out looking pretty horrid. Blurry, crazy flash, and just terrible quality pictures. Does iOS do some king of image processing on the software side to get good photos? Anyway, if anyone knows anything please let me know. Also, is now a good time to buy?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I would like know how the camera plays out versus some of the 16 megapixel cameras in the market today. Anyone with experience on this? Currently we are using a 12 megapixel camera and the pictures come out looking pretty horrid. Blurry, crazy flash, and just terrible quality pictures. Does iOS do some king of image processing on the software side to get good photos? Anyway, if anyone knows anything please let me know. Also, is now a good time to buy?

What kind of camera do you have? It sounds like your settings need to be setup to take pictures in your setting correctly.

There are no special settings in iOS, you just stand still and shoot. Your camera, when set to shoot correctly, can take much better pictures.

They won't release another iPod Touch until next year, so yeah, go ahead.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
Hmm. I guess I need to spend some time researching this.

My camera is a Kodak (yea, Kodak!) camera I bought in 2010 and actually has 14 megapixels.

I have just noticed photos on the iPhone look stunning versus on how it looks on my crappy camera. I know the iPhone has more megapixels but least they are both running iOS. I'll play with it and see. Thanks!!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Hmm. I guess I need to spend some time researching this.

My camera is a Kodak (yea, Kodak!) camera I bought in 2010 and actually has 14 megapixels.

I have just noticed photos on the iPhone look stunning versus on how it looks on my crappy camera. I know the iPhone has more megapixels but least they are both running iOS. I'll play with it and see. Thanks!!

Umm, Actually camera on the Iphone is less in Magapixels but u have to also consider the quality and aperture of the lens used for the device. Higher MP doesn't always mean better pic quality, that why i never have any luck with Motorola. My previous Bold 9700 is only 3.2 mp but it took great pics and looks good on computer screen as well.

However, if you want to get the touch just for the camera. U may want to spend less on the dedicated one if you aren't interested in Ios ecosystem and all the games.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
I think that my ipod touch takes amazing photos that are even comparable to my photos on a DSLR. when importing my ipod photos to photoshop it thinks they are RAW photos!

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
I've shed a tear. Please use the camera. Change what you need to but it is way better then an iPod if used correctly.

beautifulcoder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2013
The Republic of Texas
I've shed a tear. Please use the camera. Change what you need to but it is way better then an iPod if used correctly.

Well I'm trying but the camera doesn't make it easy for me. For example, if I press the "focus" button (slightly press the shoot button without actually firing it) it is very slow in coming into full focus. It's not like I can tell my 1 year old "hey don't move for the next minute or so while I tinker with this thing". I'm under the impression the iPod Touch running iOS has way more computing power than my camera does. Plus, the multi-touch screen. Oh crap, I think I just talked myself into ditching my stupid camera!

I agree with you though, a 14 megapixel point-to-shoot camera should theoretical take better photos. I simply just don't have the skills nor the opportunity I guess.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Well I'm trying but the camera doesn't make it easy for me. For example, if I press the "focus" button (slightly press the shoot button without actually firing it) it is very slow in coming into full focus. It's not like I can tell my 1 year old "hey don't move for the next minute or so while I tinker with this thing". I'm under the impression the iPod Touch running iOS has way more computing power than my camera does. Plus, the multi-touch screen. Oh crap, I think I just talked myself into ditching my stupid camera!

I agree with you though, a 14 megapixel point-to-shoot camera should theoretical take better photos. I simply just don't have the skills nor the opportunity I guess.

If you can't take a decent picture with a point & shoot camera, what makes you think the ipod touch will make you a better photographer?

It doesn't ship with a robot arm to take the picture for you.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
I have a Panasonic point & shoot with Leica optics that costed $400, and a canon powershot. My iPod touch blows them both out of the water when it comes to picture quality. It's totally flat and distortion free from edge to edge. And almost every picture looks at least decent. The fully automatic settings work beatifully. I donno what the apple engineers fed it.
It lacks optical zoom though. So u just hafta get closer.
There are now two cameras that I use: iPod touch, and Pentax ME super.

Unless you're really serious about film SLRs, any decent smartphone camera will satisfy your needs.
IMHO.

----------

I'm under the impression the iPod Touch running iOS has way more computing power than my camera does.

You're exactly right, the iPod touch has a fairly powerful dual core CPU, and can take photos as fast as you can hammer the shutter button.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I think that my ipod touch takes amazing photos that are even comparable to my photos on a DSLR. when importing my ipod photos to photoshop it thinks they are RAW photos!

You must have a ****** dslr. IPod camera is can't beat a dslr in any category. Sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.