Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Just a quick update...

I decided to get another SSD and use one for Windows and one for OS X. Initially the idea was to RAID0 them and have 300 and 200 but it's too much hassle and didn't warrant the effort. So I decided to finally come up with a mounting solution for both SSDs.

I nabbed another Vertex 4 256GB new for £136, a dual 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter. My idea was to put them together and mount them above the Blu-Ray drive, but this needed an extra power socket so it needed modifying.

So here is pictures of how it went.

Here's the two SSDs and the adapters

null_zpsccf0647a.jpg

This is the position I want it mounting to make plugging in cables easier

null_zps38a9fe58.jpg

This is my modified power cable before and after braiding

null_zpsefa42a16.jpg

null_zps76d314fb.jpg

Here are the plugs in there rough positions

null_zps89e88b76.jpg

I then made a single bracket that will mount the SSDs to the Blu-Ray drive

null_zps5608ab8f.jpg

Here it is fitted

null_zpsf417b641.jpg

And here is the finished cable management

null_zps19e8f923.jpg

It's much better having a drive for each system, it's easier for updates and less risky of loosing the entire system at once. Also the internals look much tidier now the drives are mounted instead of them hanging. Hope you guys like!

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I forgot to add, but as you can probably see i also dyed the fluid to royal blue from the original raspberry purple. I love blue and i think it suits the build wonderfully. I have yet to come up with a better case lighting solution as i don't want it stupidly bright but i want it even, but the size of the case doesn't allow for much lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.