Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kinjal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Currently I work off of an older 17'' MBP at the office. I'm looking for something that gives me MUCH more screen real estate.

I read an article where someone said they were powering a 27'' display (quite easily) off of their MBA. This got me quite interested, but I'm still a little skeptical. How well does it actually run a big display like that? Does it have the capability to run 2x 27'' displays?

I usually use my MBP for Photoshop & Dreamweaver, some light video/audio editing, and some other smaller apps, skype video/conference calls, and web browsing/apps. Will I be able to do this without noticing a big hit on performance with a MBA + 27'' display?

Kinjal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks for the article. That doesn't really answer my question though. Those say that it can power it, but it has nothing to do with performance.

Am I going to notice a performance hit with the use mentioned above.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I run a 13" MBA with a Thunderbolt display

I use use most of what you mention, including Skype and Final Cut Pro without any issues
Yes, FCP is fairly intensive and pushes my MBA, but that isn't related to the Thunderbolt Display as far as I can tell

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.